• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
So… just an update, I spoke to Mr Celestin today about the missing appraisal, luckily it does not matter if you are applying Pilot or NFO, as long as you have appraisals from an Officer in Aviation, he also said the board has already started. So I asked just to clarify that it did start today and is not a few days out and he said Yes. So that’s all I got! Best of luck to everyone!

exNavyOffRec

So… just an update, I spoke to Mr Celestin today about the missing appraisal, luckily it does not matter if you are applying Pilot or NFO, as long as you have appraisals from an Officer in Aviation, he also said the board has already started. So I asked just to clarify that it did start today and is not a few days out and he said Yes. So that’s all I got! Best of luck to everyone!
Be aware he only goes off the board schedule when saying if a board has started.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Be aware he only goes off the board schedule when saying if a board has started.
So he emailed back saying he updated my file with the missing appraisal. There’s a chance that it won’t be an issue “once the board starts”? That’s all I’m really worried about. Whether the board starts today or next week, it’s not like we will have results for weeks.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
So he emailed back saying he updated my file with the missing appraisal. There’s a chance that it won’t be an issue “once the board starts”? That’s all I’m really worried about. Whether the board starts today or next week, it’s not like we will have results for weeks.

No one ever knows if it happens on the date. I’d honestly like to know more about how this board meets. I’ve heard it’s all computer, and I’ve heard other things like a computer picks people spits it out to a couple people to look at.

On the Marine side your recruiter actually travels to the board location and pitches you in front of the “board”. Kind of like a more traditional board.

If anyone knows how they meet, fill me in!

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
No one ever knows if it happens on the date. I’d honestly like to know more about how this board meets. I’ve heard it’s all computer, and I’ve heard other things like a computer picks people spits it out to a couple people to look at.

On the Marine side your recruiter actually travels to the board location and pitches you in front of the “board”. Kind of like a more traditional board.

The date is just a date, depends on everyone’s schedule if they can meet on that date if not it could happen a week from then, or a month.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO

I was told you submit your package, it gets screened and sent to board, then there’s an Officer that takes the package and condenses it to show key points on a slideshow. From there the Officers that select have a click with 100 being the highest and your “package” is up for seconds and then they go to the next. But everything nowadays is hearsay. Also I hope it’s not a month, you would think that their schedule would be some what cleared up

I was told you submit your package, it gets screened and sent to board, then there’s an Officer that takes the package and condenses it to show key points on a slideshow. From there the Officers that select have a click with 100 being the highest and your “package” is up for seconds and then they go to the next. But everything nowadays is hearsay. Also I hope it’s not a month, you would think that their schedule would be some what cleared up
From what I’ve been told from some O-6s this is accurate. But ISPP complicates that as the board schedule verbiage states “As packages are received, they are forwarded to the community sponsor to select high quality applicants (see PA 100F) for review at next regularly scheduled board.” Which would mean the OCM has already selected who is greenlit for that program.

exNavyOffRec

That is a promotion board, not OCS selection board.

exNavyOffRec

From what I’ve been told from some O-6s this is accurate. But ISPP complicates that as the board schedule verbiage states “As packages are received, they are forwarded to the community sponsor to select high quality applicants (see PA 100F) for review at next regularly scheduled board.” Which would mean the OCM has already selected who is greenlit for that program.
That isn't what happens for OCS selection boards, that is for a promotion board, ISPP is auto select as long as spots are available.
If you don’t mind me asking, how does the actual “board” go?
Each one is a bit different based on designator, this is what those have sat the boards or those that have compiled the candidates to go to boards have passed on and most is how they cut people out rather than select and how brutal they are on cutting people out depends on if high or low need.

In many cases the path from point A to B is different, but the result will be the same.

- some have just rejected those with non-medical waivers.
- some had anyone with GPA less than 3.0 set aside and those were auto N's.
- seen for CEC no EIT they were rejected.
- stacked based on PFAR or FOFAR then reviewed from there.
- anyone who didn't have that designator listed 1 or 2 was rejected.
- stacked by tech and non tech.
- CEC required all board members to give thumbs up or the candidate was rejected.
- some boards have the members review individually then they stack based on who said yes and if enough members agreed they are a yes.
- some boards would review at the same time and give yes or no right there.

Each designator will do things a bit different, SNA/SNFO/SWO is high volume recruiting and to be honest the communites are big enough that if the board picks someone that doesn't do well the system will work it out in the end which means they don't need to take much time at all, that is why for a while they had auto selections, GPA over a certain point and an ASTB a high score would get you a selection without even being reviewed..

IWC/Supply/CEC are small communities and not high volume recruiting, in a way more executive type recruiting so they review and look carefully at each application as one person that they pick who doesn't do well can have a much bigger affect on the community.

exNavyOffRec

For what its worth, for my package all the O-6s in the aviation community wrote "press 100 now" in thier appraisals.
Most officers don't know how OCS boards go, and it isn't their fault it is just they haven't been exposed to it. It is the same thing with officers and OCS application and other processes, they just don't know. The info we have heard from AD applicants on what they have been told by their commands was just astounding as how wrong it was.

Most officers don't know how OCS boards go, and it isn't their fault it is just they haven't been exposed to it. It is the same thing with officers and OCS application and other processes, they just don't know. The info we have heard from AD applicants on what they have been told by their commands was just astounding as how wrong it was.
Who sits them? Just curious. Is it a milestone thing for various O5s in the community, or is it just aviators who are already in Millington?