• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

FloridaDad

I’m ready for results just so I know what the deal is, but I’m not necessarily excited for results because I’m assuming the selection is really low again.

If I knew for a fact this was a normal board, I’d be way more anxious/excited.
Ya I get that, I'm pretty resigned to fate at this point. Just want to know so I can keep moving with life.

Way way under
Nah, y’all are crazy; they needs bodies. They’ve picked up 67 from the OCS pool in the last calendar year, they are not going to meet FY25/26 winging goals without a good number picked this time around. Each YG they need to wing around 950-1100. they can’t have low selects for too long or they won’t have replacements.

My dad’s boss’ cousin’s dog actually just got promoted to Fleet Admiral and told me I’d be skipping OCS and going straight to TOPGUN in FY23 so…
First he kicked my butt in soccer now he is Fleet Admiral!!! I wish I was on the Airbud to Admiralbud pipeline.

exNavyOffRec

Nah, y’all are crazy; they needs bodies. They’ve picked up 67 from the OCS pool in the last calendar year, they are not going to meet FY25/26 winging goals without a good number picked this time around. Each YG they need to wing around 950-1100. they can’t have low selects for too long or they won’t have replacements.
I take it you are joking with this post as none of those numbers you posted are accurate. The exception is if by winging you are counting SNA and SNFO

FloridaDad

Agreed, and last I checked retention isn’t anything to write home about. Experienced pilots aside they need to have a pretty consistent stream going through the pipeline.
I wish you guys were right but the recruiting goals they've set, the numbers from the last board, and the fact that I was issued an age waiver for NFO but not Pilot sadly say otherwise. Yes, the Navy has a major retention problem, but the issue isn't with fresh aviators... it's with keeping them for a second decade plus. The training pipeline is completely backed up and part of the problem is a lack of experienced pilots to train new ones. Pushing a massive amount of new SNAs and SNFOs into the pipeline won't make the problem better because they would still only be able to train the same amount of people at once. They'd just have people collecting a paycheck and waiting around in Florida (great gig) or sitting at home waiting a year plus to ship to OCS (crap gig) like they have right now for an even longer period of time. They have to get people through the training pipeline to clear it open before they can put more of us through it. It sucks... massively. Trust me as a now 32 year old who's scores would've most likely been picked up on previous boards getting a no along with everyone else on my one board before aging out was devastating... but it's just reality. All we can do is wait it out if you're young enough, get stupid good scores if you can, or do what I'm doing and suck it up and try to get SNFO because you have to take care of your family and working as an officer in aviation is better than not being an officer in aviation even if you don't get to be the pilot. I still dream of being a pilot and maybe I'll pull off a miracle redes down the road... but family comes first and being an officer is an amazing opportunity regardless.

Mightymoxie

Man this party took a turn lmao. First navy rule: nobody knows quotas till they’re announced, and it’s pointless to be depressed before they give results. Otherwise, you’ll just be bummed for longer. Whatever will be, will be, and you’ll figure it out.

I take it you are joking with this post as none of those numbers you posted are accurate. The exception is if by winging you are counting SNA and SNFO
Yes both SNA and SNFO, and I pulled the numbers straight from previous AVT community health briefs. Specifically for YG23 they want to wing 960-something combined. But, I have seen that fluctuate between 950-1100 for previous year groups. In fact CNATRA reports they wing 1100 a year on their website. The ratio is in the ballpark of just under 25% of those being SNFO.

Accession wise, they accept typically 1300 a year across all sources to account for the pipeline attrition rate. OCS typically gets in the realm of 400 plus or minus 50 combined a FY for accession. USNA gets around 280, ROTC just shy of that, and there are typically around 20 from the merchant marine academies. That 400 number I pulled from the accession requirements memos since the former number is the winging requirement. The 67 number is taken directly from the last results memo, im assuming most of the YG-23 accessions are being supplied with PROREC-Ys from the 2021 boards which would account for the low PRORECs in the October board.

Last edited:
I wish you guys were right but the recruiting goals they've set…

There’s a slew of inaccurate info in this. I don’t know who is filling you in but find another source.

HOWEVER, what really pisses me off about that comment is “suck it up and try to get SNFO” is a really shitty thing to say, man. There are plenty of people who WANT to be NFOs. You’re acting like a very valid career is some sort of unworthy second choice. Glad no one with double anchors in their banner monitors the OCS threads to see that bs.

esmbenbenek

There’s a slew of inaccurate info in this. I don’t know who is filling you in but find another source.

HOWEVER, what really pisses me off about that comment is “suck it up and try to get SNFO” is a really shitty thing to say, man. There are plenty of people who WANT to be NFOs. You’re acting like a very valid career is some sort of unworthy second choice. Glad no one with double anchors in their banner monitors the OCS threads to see that bs.
Chill out there buddy it's not that serious. He just would have rather been a pilot.

nefalexa

I think the message was about personal choice, not that SNFO being an unworthy second choice is the ultimate universal truth. No need to get spicy here, y’all are stressed rn

nefalexa

Yeah you aren’t wrong about that, my bad.

I would definitely not word “I’d rather have been a pilot” as “I’ll suck it up and try NFO” though.
Eh, written communication/phrasing can get tough sometimes, and I agree with you. That was a very passionate message and people are all on edge rn if you know what I’m trying to say lol