• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

codys995

To add to this, I failed the DP test at MEPS back in 2019. I got lasik after and went to an eye doc recently who informed me that I have a dominant eye which could be weakening my DP; even though I'm 20/20, my dominant eye keeps my eyes from working well together. I'm getting setup with contacts to help even my eyes out and will be going back to MEPS for a re-test. All that to say it's definitely worth getting a full eye exam from an optometrist before going to MEPS.

Hope to be joining this board for SNA.

exNavyOffRec

I had AWFUL vision before I got lasik. Not sure exactly what it was before but I could only see the two biggest set of letters at the eye doctor. Now I’m at 20/15 and it still amazes me when I look around, especially when I’m outside and can see all of the leaves and blades of grass
How bad was it as in how many diopters pre-surgery were you? There is a pre-surgery cutoff and if you are over it then a person is still DQ, the post-surgery vision won't matter.

FlyingGamecock

How bad was it as in how many diopters pre-surgery were you? There is a pre-surgery cutoff and if you are over it then a person is still DQ, the post-surgery vision won't matter.
I was below the cutoff for it. Don’t remember exactly but I did have them checked by the eye doctor and make sure they were up to the NAMI pre surgery standards before having the lasik done

CC2224Clone

How much sooner would someone selected for SNFO go to OCS than an SNA from this board? Based on what I’m reading, seems like up to a year…am I wrong?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
This would be spherical equivalent right? I believe I read that somewhere but can’t seem to find the document.

Your prescription can’t be more than -8.00 I believe. The astigmatism is +3.00. Don’t quote me on that though.

Google US Navy SNA/SNFO medical PDF it’s in there. Along with everything else they look at. It’s about 400 pages so command F to search it.

elariosa95

SNA (Primary - Pool)
Grateful every day that we live at a time when this type of surgery is possible and is successful. So happy I never have to wear glasses
Right?? I didn't mind wearing glasses, but getting SMILE eye surgery is one of the best decisions I've made. The doctor who did mine is apparently one of the original guys to perform it while it was going thru clinical trials and has done thousands of procedures since LASIK was approved in 1995.

Edit: I should note that SMILE isn't right for everyone. I think I was only able to do it because of my nearsightedness. The procedure itself took 10-15 minutes max. and I was able to drive by noon the next day.

Last edited:
To add to this, I failed the DP test at MEPS back in 2019. I got lasik after and went to an eye doc recently who informed me that I have a dominant eye which could be weakening my DP; even though I'm 20/20, my dominant eye keeps my eyes from working well together. I'm getting setup with contacts to help even my eyes out and will be going back to MEPS for a re-test. All that to say it's definitely worth getting a full eye exam from an optometrist before going to MEPS.

Hope to be joining this board for SNA.
My doc said I have 70 arc seconds so I’m not in regs for class 1 physical. I’m thinking lasik, I do have an astigmatism that is .50 and 20/25 vision. Do you think lasik or PRK will get me to 40? I’m bummed I can’t be a marine pilot.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My doc said I have 70 arc seconds so I’m not in regs for class 1 physical. I’m thinking lasik, I do have an astigmatism that is .50 and 20/25 vision. Do you think lasik or PRK will get me to 40? I’m bummed I can’t be a marine pilot.

Hmm ask a doctor? Many lasik consultations are free of charge and the eye doc can probably field this in person…