• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

After many months of waiting, I got the call getting picked as a SNFO and my first reaction was to decline the offer and keep my civilian engineering job. After sitting in my cubicle for the past few hours marinating in the thoughts of staying here in my hometown or taking a leap into the world of the navy, my needle has tilted towards joining as it’s been a life goal of mine to work in the clouds. Do any others with similar experience have any input? Also, those that have been selected with full time jobs, how do you find yourself feeling about a selection? Thanks!

FloridaDad

After many months of waiting, I got the call getting picked as a SNFO and my first reaction was to decline the offer and keep my civilian engineering job. After sitting in my cubicle for the past few hours marinating in the thoughts of staying here in my hometown or taking a leap into the world of the navy, my needle has tilted towards joining as it’s been a life goal of mine to work in the clouds. Do any others with similar experience have any input? Also, those that have been selected with full time jobs, how do you find yourself feeling about a selection? Thanks!
I work in a call center at Disney currently so... ya that's no competition haha

gtownjake

After many months of waiting, I got the call getting picked as a SNFO and my first reaction was to decline the offer and keep my civilian engineering job.
My .02, an engineering gig will always be there no matter your age. If you don’t take that NFO spot you’ll always be asking yourself “what if?”. Get in, don’t like it? Just leave after your obligation and be able to say you did it.

eranger24

I don’t really care if I get flak for this but… the time to be wishy washy was before you put in your application. You volunteered to go for a position that people would kill to be at so nut up. Take it as you will.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
I agree with everyone else. You had the time before submitting your application to decide on what you wanted to do. Now that you got selected, if you decline, you took away a spot from someone else that would love to be an NFO! Do your time and decide whether you want to continue or not

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
I don’t really care if I get flak for this but… the time to be wishy washy was before you put in your application. You volunteered to go for a position that people would kill to be at so nut up. Take it as you will.
This. I wasn't expecting to be at this board after some things my recruiter told me and then low and behold I wound up on the at board anyway. I've had some family stuff happen that might've resulted in me having to turn down a selection so a small part of me was a bit relieved I didn't get selected this time around despite me personally really wanting it. I didn't want to live with the potential guilt of screwing someone out of a spot. I won't be submitting again until I know I can 100% accept a selection.

JNguyen18

Got Pro-Rec No.
I currently am not in a financial space where my wife and I could support me going for an associate’s degree full time to improve my honestly miserable GPA of 2.41. At this point, my best hope is to wait until a board next year since there’s not much I think I could do to improve my package for the October board. I got a 68 8/7/8 on the ASTB on my second attempt.
My OR said LORs might help but the few connections I have aren’t Navy or pilots. They also suggest I try for a different community board. Currently I am debating on submitting for the supply board. I still want to fly but serving in any capacity is what I’ve always wanted. Any advice or should I just wait until next year to resubmit?

smpl_dude

I work as a software engineer building flight deck electronics for Boeing. I'm taking a massive pay cut to do this. That said, you'll never get this experience anywhere else in the world, and once you put in your time, engineering will be there for you. And for the kind of engineering I do, aerospace companies will gobble you up if you have both engineering and piloting/NFO experience. It only serves to make your resume stronger in the future. So go for it man, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I work as a software engineer building flight deck electronics for Boeing. I'm taking a massive pay cut to do this. That said, you'll never get this experience anywhere else in the world, and once you put in your time, engineering will be there for you. And for the kind of engineering I do, aerospace companies will gobble you up if you have both engineering and piloting/NFO experience. It only serves to make your resume stronger in the future. So go for it man, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
This response particularly is what I suppose I was fishing for. I am a design engineer for Airbus and love the team I work alongside however, at 23 I would imagine I can only handle an office job for so long before I seriously wish I had made a different choice. That being said, I hope to cross paths with everyone in this thread in the future. Thanks for the input!

1686687132174.gif