• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

FloridaDad

Got Pro-Rec No.
I currently am not in a financial space where my wife and I could support me going for an associate’s degree full time to improve my honestly miserable GPA of 2.41. At this point, my best hope is to wait until a board next year since there’s not much I think I could do to improve my package for the October board. I got a 68 8/7/8 on the ASTB on my second attempt.
My OR said LORs might help but the few connections I have aren’t Navy or pilots. They also suggest I try for a different community board. Currently I am debating on submitting for the supply board. I still want to fly but serving in any capacity is what I’ve always wanted. Any advice or should I just wait until next year to resubmit?
I'm in a different place than you because of age, but I have almost the same ASTB scores as you and had to go back to school for a semester to bring my GPA up from 2.45 to 2.5. I also have the pressure of having 2 young children and my spouse who not only need me to have an income but need health insurance.

If pilot is immensely important to you and you can afford to wait, then wait. Start taking a few classes online with a local community college and bring your GPA up to 2.5 over time. You're young, you have plenty of time if you're willing to wait and as long as you keep improving yourself will likely get your shot at some point.

If, however, like me you have circumstances which make getting selected more important than getting your dream designation, then apply for NFO. You mention that serving in any capacity is what you've always wanted. Being an NFO will allow you to still work in aircraft and, while you won't get to fly as part of your job, you will still learn to fly as part of your training. Your scores are killer for NFO. You have the same FOFAR and AQR as I do, and a slightly higher OAR. You're also 6 years younger than me and don't need an age waiver. There's a very good chance you could get picked up for NFO as you are right now so if what you want to do is serve and work in aviation go for it. If you want my advice, enroll in some easy online classes to bring up your GPA (doesn't matter what they are), and apply for NFO if you're ready to go and serve now.

JNguyen18

I'm in a different place than you because of age, but I have almost the same ASTB scores as you and had to go back to school for a semester to bring my GPA up from 2.45 to 2.5. I also have the pressure of having 2 young children and my spouse who not only need me to have an income but need health insurance.

If pilot is immensely important to you and you can afford to wait, then wait. Start taking a few classes online with a local community college and bring your GPA up to 2.5 over time. You're young, you have plenty of time if you're willing to wait and as long as you keep improving yourself will likely get your shot at some point.

If, however, like me you have circumstances which make getting selected more important than getting your dream designation, then apply for NFO. You mention that serving in any capacity is what you've always wanted. Being an NFO will allow you to still work in aircraft and, while you won't get to fly as part of your job, you will still learn to fly as part of your training. Your scores are killer for NFO. You have the same FOFAR and AQR as I do, and a slightly higher OAR. You're also 6 years younger than me and don't need an age waiver. There's a very good chance you could get picked up for NFO as you are right now so if what you want to do is serve and work in aviation go for it. If you want my advice, enroll in some easy online classes to bring up your GPA (doesn't matter what they are), and apply for NFO if you're ready to go and serve now.
Thank you for your input. It hadn’t occurred to me that I could enroll in community college without seeking a degree. So I guess I’ll be doing that until the next board.
Congrats to you and everyone else who got in! Hopefully I’ll get to join y’all in the future.

FloridaDad

Got a call earlier, first board I’ve submitted for and got a no. Reading through this thread though is encouraging! I’m going to keep chasing the dream and reapply, hopefully revamp the packet a bit. Congrats to all who got selected!
Keep at it! And if you applied for pilot keep in mind that things are bad right now and should get better. What are your numbers?

jwalt

Keep at it! And if you applied for pilot keep in mind that things are bad right now and should get better. What are your numbers?
Originally applied in Oct but failed the medical cause of my eyes, so I got PRK and now rocking the 20/15! Scored were 52 or 54 (I can’t remember exactly currently), with 7, 8, 8. Fairly high gpa but I majored in music, so I’m not expecting my gpa to really factor in much.

FloridaDad

Originally applied in Oct but failed the medical cause of my eyes, so I got PRK and now rocking the 20/15! Scored were 52 or 54 (I can’t remember exactly currently), with 7, 8, 8. Fairly high gpa but I majored in music, so I’m not expecting my gpa to really factor in much.
Yay another music major! My GPA was 2.5 so that and a music BA certainly didn't do me any favors lol. That 8 in PFAR is really going to help you!

jwalt

Yay another music major! My GPA was 2.5 so that and a music BA certainly didn't do me any favors lol. That 8 in PFAR is really going to help you!
Hope so! Going to put my package in for the September board after a bit of tweaking and hope for the best! Congrats again to all!

Andrew_franny

Congrats to everyone selected!

I wasn't selected for this board and honestly didn't even think I was on it (OR kept delaying the submission of my package and then submitted it after the deadline). OR mentioned that I should rewrite my motivational statement and resubmit for the next board. I understand that personal statements don't carry much weight, but still curious about how I should improve it. In rewriting the motivational statement, should I address not being selected?