• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

gtownjake

In rewriting the motivational statement, should I address not being selected?
take what I say with a grain of salt but I think they want to hear what you’ve done to better yourself/your package to resubmit. A brief mentioning of a non select is fine so long as you go into more depth about what you’ve done to change.

Congrats to everyone selected!

I wasn't selected for this board and honestly didn't even think I was on it (OR kept delaying the submission of my package and then submitted it after the deadline). OR mentioned that I should rewrite my motivational statement and resubmit for the next board. I understand that personal statements don't carry much weight, but still curious about how I should improve it. In rewriting the motivational statement, should I address not being selected?
Don’t quote me on this but I believe you have to write a “reconsideration letter” explaining why you’re a better applicant now compared to your previous submission. I wasn’t selected last October and my OR had me do this and I got picked up this time around.

Andrew_franny

take what I say with a grain of salt but I think they want to hear what you’ve done to better yourself/your package to resubmit. A brief mentioning of a non select is fine so long as you go into more depth about what you’ve done to change.
That seems pretty congruent with what I've been seeing. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also wicked confused because my recruiter mentioned that he might be able to submit my application to the July board. I know there is a 6-month waiting period to reapply, so I don't know if what he's saying is necessarily true. Even if it were and I did decide to submit, I would just be submitting the same package that was denied only a month before.

gtownjake

That seems pretty congruent with what I've been seeing. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm also wicked confused because my recruiter mentioned that he might be able to submit my application to the July board. I know there is a 6-month waiting period to reapply, so I don't know if what he's saying is necessarily true. Even if it were and I did decide to submit, I would just be submitting the same package that was denied only a month before.
I’m in the exact same boat, rumor in the July forum is it’s getting pushed to August which could be huge. I don’t really want to take the ASTB again yet so I’m looking for all my options to resubmit.

space_sailor

Fairly high gpa but I majored in music, so I’m not expecting my gpa to really factor in much.
AFAIK:
GPA is more important than your major so if you have a 4.0 BA in music that beats a 3.8 BS in Biomedical Electrical Engineering of Space Time Travel or whatever all else equal.

This is what I think the breakdown is:
ASTB > GPA > LOR == Major == personal statement == flight experience.
If you have a waiver for something that could factor in to be more or less important depending on what it is.

exNavyOffRec

It sounds like you missed the board and he is trying to make you think you were submitted and then make it seem like he is able to get you in, or he just doesn't know what he is doing.

exNavyOffRec

Got Pro-Rec No.
I currently am not in a financial space where my wife and I could support me going for an associate’s degree full time to improve my honestly miserable GPA of 2.41. At this point, my best hope is to wait until a board next year since there’s not much I think I could do to improve my package for the October board. I got a 68 8/7/8 on the ASTB on my second attempt.
My OR said LORs might help but the few connections I have aren’t Navy or pilots. They also suggest I try for a different community board. Currently I am debating on submitting for the supply board. I still want to fly but serving in any capacity is what I’ve always wanted. Any advice or should I just wait until next year to resubmit?
I am going off of the fact you have no waivers, if you do that could affect what I say.

Your GPA probably sunk you, for many years aviation had a minimum GPA, then they removed it which then allowed the board to just make a cutoff, that could have happened to you it has happened before.

The best shot you have is aviation as your GPA is below the minimum for the other designators.

Biff42

I am going off of the fact you have no waivers, if you do that could affect what I say.

Your GPA probably sunk you, for many years aviation had a minimum GPA, then they removed it which then allowed the board to just make a cutoff, that could have happened to you it has happened before.

The best shot you have is aviation as your GPA is below the minimum for the other designators.
Would having a master's sort of cancel out your bachelor's GPA in the boards eye?