• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec how important are flight hours? Based on what you've said previously, only other things that matter are ASTB, GPA, and Major.
They aren't, what I have seen is those who have picked up flight hours do better on the ASTB for one reason or another, I feel it would also help give you an idea of what it is like to be in a small plane, some don't care for it.

I have also seen those with hours, and even CFI's with low scores given N's until they retested an increased their scores.

Does anyone know how many SNA's usually get put into 1 OCS class? Or at least like a rough estimate of what its been like in the past? My recruiter also said there was 160 SNA's waiting to go, assuming that didn't count for us selected on this board. @exNavyOffRec is this something that has common data or is it just completely random on how many get thrown into a class?

jbfalcon2000

SNA Board Applicant
AFAIK:
GPA is more important than your major so if you have a 4.0 BA in music that beats a 3.8 BS in Biomedical Electrical Engineering of Space Time Travel or whatever all else equal.

This is what I think the breakdown is:
ASTB > GPA > LOR == Major == personal statement == flight experience.
If you have a waiver for something that could factor in to be more or less important depending on what it is.

They aren't, what I have seen is those who have picked up flight hours do better on the ASTB for one reason or another, I feel it would also help give you an idea of what it is like to be in a small plane, some don't care for it.

I have also seen those with hours, and even CFI's with low scores given N's until they retested an increased their scores.

This was my second board and I got pro rec N.

ASTB: 58 7 7 8
GPA: 3.95
Major: Accounting
Flight hours: none

I've seen tons of people get selected now with lower gpa and test scores. If it's true that 4.0 underwater basket weaving is better than 3.8 neuroscience, and flight hours aren't important, what am I missing that these other people aren't?

gtownjake

This was my second board and I got pro rec N.

ASTB: 58 7 7 8
GPA: 3.95
Major: Accounting
Flight hours: none
Keep your head up man, you and I have very similar scores and both got Nos. It’s impossible to tell how they selected and we will likely never know. Super frustrating but there’s nothing we can do but keep trying.

Edit: on another note, I really wish we could know WHY they didn’t select us. Cause if it was entirely my scores then I’d retake, but other than that I feel like I scored pretty well. GPA is good, LORs, flight hours, I essentially had a complete package.

FloridaDad

It sounds like you missed the board and he is trying to make you think you were submitted and then make it seem like he is able to get you in, or he just doesn't know what he is doing.
Ya that’s the vibe I’m getting. I think someone screwed up and doesn’t want to admit it. Sorry that happened to you

FlyingGamecock

Recruiter said I could reapply for the October board if I got a letter of recommendation from my job. Idk if I’m going to do that or not, sounds like a great way to get let go pretty soon after to me. I’ll have only been there a few months then asking for a recommendation to up and join the Navy. Thoughts?

Andrew_franny

Ya that’s the vibe I’m getting. I think someone screwed up and doesn’t want to admit it. Sorry that happened to you
I think it’s just part of the process, but I’m definitely left with some questions that I’m going to explore with my OR.

But at the end of the day, I also don’t want to point fingers. This was a really strong applicant pool and everyone who was picked up certainly deserved it.

Tumbleweed33

Congrats to everyone selected!

I wasn't selected for this board and honestly didn't even think I was on it (OR kept delaying the submission of my package and then submitted it after the deadline). OR mentioned that I should rewrite my motivational statement and resubmit for the next board. I understand that personal statements don't carry much weight, but still curious about how I should improve it. In rewriting the motivational statement, should I address not being selected?
He honestly may have done you a favor with the low selection rates. Look at the silver lining there will always be more boards and you wont have to make "significant" improvements to your package!

Regardless id make for dang sure you are on the next board or that your package is in.

Charlie288

Thinking of applying to the next board. Want to give myself the best shot I’m within a year of graduating school B.S Professional Aviation. Currently serving AD in the Army. My question is, those that were accepted SNA would you recommend waiting until I graduate or just go for it? Congratulations to all those that were accepted. Hope to join you soon.

Tumbleweed33

Recruiter said I could reapply for the October board if I got a letter of recommendation from my job. Idk if I’m going to do that or not, sounds like a great way to get let go pretty soon after to me. I’ll have only been there a few months then asking for a recommendation to up and join the Navy. Thoughts?
Do not tell your current employer. regardless if you end up getting selected you will still need to work for about a year or more after selection. You will miss out on promotions raises. Also everyone will see you as the "half way out the door guy" regardless of your performance. Ask me how i know..

my .02 no one should tell their employer (even if you are cool with them) until you receive your Final select letter 2-3 weeks before OCS. Nothing is guaranteed at the board as you have seen and who knows when you will actully go to ocs. Might be as old as @FloridaDad by then....;)

FlyingGamecock

Do not tell your current employer. regardless if you end up getting selected you will still need to work for about a year or more after selection. You will miss out on promotions raises. Also everyone will see you as the "half way out the door guy" regardless of your performance. Ask me how i know..

my .02 no one should tell their employer (even if you are cool with them) until you receive your Final select letter 2-3 weeks before OCS. Nothing is guaranteed at the board as you have seen and who knows when you will actully go to ocs. Might be as old as @FloridaDad by then....;)
Exactly my thoughts. Maybe I’ll see if I can get a past employer instead of my current one

Interesting to hear all the chatter about LORs. I was never asked to supply or request letters of recommendation at the time, but my recruiter had mentioned that he was going to write me a very strong one. How many LORs are typical to submit with a packet? My current assumption is that I got selected with only a single LOR and it was one from a recruiter, not sometime who knew me personally. Is this odd or is it typical?

Karby

@exNavyOffRec how important are flight hours? Based on what you've said previously, only other things that matter are ASTB, GPA, and Major.
From what my recruiter told me, flight hours are crucial for the next 2-3 years. My GPA, ASTB scores, and appraisals were all pretty decent but I had 2 flight hours and that killed me.