• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

justin2023

From what my recruiter told me, flight hours are crucial for the next 2-3 years. My GPA, ASTB scores, and appraisals were all pretty decent but I had 2 flight hours and that killed me.
Hope that’s true. This board compared to last October I increased my flight hours by 20 and got 2 more LORs (LCDR and CDR AD pilots) as well as a gpa increase. Still not selected but still gonna keep trying. Hopefully within in the next year selection rates go back to normal

justin2023

Yes. I'll try to get some logged flight hours. From the oct results, I deduced that the only difference between my results which was PRO REC N and a PRO REC Y of very similar stats, was flight hours. Same Mech Eng Degree. Very similar ASTB scores and GPA, He had logged hours and I didn't. So my best guess is that. Other than that, I hate to say this but if i look at this through the eyes of the board, objectively, my background investigation raised some red flags due to my parents country of origin. That's just speculation. Thoughts?
Hmm that’s interesting. My mom immigrated from a county that the United States used to have conflict with. I’ve never really heard of it being a factor but then again I don’t know. My siblings are both at naval service academies so I guess it might not matter.

Flight hours I’ve also heard could push an applicants package in favor of a yes if it comes down to neck and neck stats.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Hmm that’s interesting. My mom immigrated from a county that the United States used to have conflict with. I’ve never really heard of it being a factor but then again I don’t know. My siblings are both at naval service academies so I guess it might not matter.

Flight hours I’ve also heard could push an applicants package in favor of a yes if it comes down to neck and neck stats.

Flight hours are not the make it or break it, but in our day and age you need to do everything you can to make yourself stand out. Flight hours is one of the best ways to do so…

Carolina Cruizer

Prorec Y-SNFO
Interesting to hear all the chatter about LORs. I was never asked to supply or request letters of recommendation at the time, but my recruiter had mentioned that he was going to write me a very strong one. How many LORs are typical to submit with a packet? My current assumption is that I got selected with only a single LOR and it was one from a recruiter, not sometime who knew me personally. Is this odd or is it typical?
I feel like LORs can be important especially if you can get one from someone high up in avaition if only fornthe fact that someone on the board knows that person and trusts thier judgement. I got an LOR from a retired 1 star former Chief of Naval Air training. At the end of the day a good LOR may not make sure you get selected, but if definitely will not hurt your odds.

It doesn't make it go away but it will make things look better as long as you do well.
@Biff42 on that note though, if being a naval officer is your number one priority and aviation isn’t working out, the PA verbiage for IW officers regarding this is as follows:

A conferred graduate-level degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative graduate program GPA of 3.0 or greater will supersede an undergraduate degree with a non- qualifying GPA.

So the IW programs will in fact only (though probably an exception for close calls) look at your graduate degree if you have one.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone selected!

I wasn't selected for this board and honestly didn't even think I was on it (OR kept delaying the submission of my package and then submitted it after the deadline). OR mentioned that I should rewrite my motivational statement and resubmit for the next board. I understand that personal statements don't carry much weight, but still curious about how I should improve it. In rewriting the motivational statement, should I address not being selected?
For what it’s worth I see your name in the results so you were in fact submitted.

exNavyOffRec

Does anyone know how many SNA's usually get put into 1 OCS class? Or at least like a rough estimate of what its been like in the past? My recruiter also said there was 160 SNA's waiting to go, assuming that didn't count for us selected on this board. @exNavyOffRec is this something that has common data or is it just completely random on how many get thrown into a class?
There are many factors, some classes are a good mix of designators, some are mainly nukes, some are mainly aviation, it just depends how follow on schools are looking for one.

exNavyOffRec

From what my recruiter told me, flight hours are crucial for the next 2-3 years. My GPA, ASTB scores, and appraisals were all pretty decent but I had 2 flight hours and that killed me.
They have said that before as well and it never matters, the USN will teach you all you need to know, we want you to learn how to fly our way.

Things that were said in the past "if you have flight hours ASTB won't matter", "if you have flight hours your GPA won't matter" and some other good ones "if you are AD scores don't matter", "if you have a letter from a flag officer it will supersede ASTB", "if you keep applying they will see commitment and eventually select you".

Recruiters will often say anything to keep people on the hook.

eranger24

They have said that before as well and it never matters, the USN will teach you all you need to know, we want you to learn how to fly our way.

Things that were said in the past "if you have flight hours ASTB won't matter", "if you have flight hours your GPA won't matter" and some other good ones "if you are AD scores don't matter", "if you have a letter from a flag officer it will supersede ASTB", "if you keep applying they will see commitment and eventually select you".

Recruiters will often say anything to keep people on the hook .
Isn't it their job or goal to get people selected though? Not just send them through the sytem?

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Just wondering if anyone would know but my supervisor and I looked at the OCS class dates and how many seats are remaining. I was curious if once I get my orders, how easy would it be to request 15OCT if I was to get a date before that?

esmbenbenek

Isn't it their job or goal to get people selected though? Not just send them through the sytem?
It's not like enlisted recruiting where they are judged by how many people they get to sign up. Officer recruiters are judged by how many people they send to boards. Or so I've been told.

Just wondering if anyone would know but my supervisor and I looked at the OCS class dates and how many seats are remaining. I was curious if once I get my orders, how easy would it be to request 15OCT if I was to get a date before that?
That’s the one I requested, lol. How many seats were open, anyway?

I was told just to tell them my availability so if you aren’t ready to go then it shouldn’t be hard to push it back. I wouldn’t wait for orders though, after all they are trying to accommodate you already but letting you tell them when you can leave.

KHam

SNFO Pro Rec- Y
Where can I find these class dates?