• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Storm27324

I get that but the issue is my family and her siblings are from MD. Her parents moved down to FL last year and we’re in the middle of nowhere in CA. I get things like this will happen once I get deployed but that’s not the case right now and I don’t want her to be stuck out here for 3 months with our 8 month when she could be around other people. That’s the main reason for wanting to do it. Her sanity ?? but also so she’s not alone. Worst case I drive us back cross country
Could get a house sitter while she goes and stays with family ??‍♂️ just a suggestion. Pcs and deployments can be a logistical nightmare with family's. Despite what anyone else says, do what you think is the right thing when it comes to your family. I wish you luck. I hope we all get more info soon, seems like a slight chaotic mess atm.

exNavyOffRec

CATNRAC shows a class approx every two weeks. Quotas and availability looks open but assumably varies due to NRCs necessary management and ownership (can’t just sign up). my CO is requesting 13AUG
It should be every 3 weeks, however what is on cantrac is not necessarily accurate they maintain a separate working list of who is going in what class, so the class you see might be empty but probably not.

CATNRAC shows a class approx every two weeks. Quotas and availability looks open but assumably varies due to NRCs necessary management and ownership (can’t just sign up). my CO is requesting 13AUG
There's a class every 3 weeks. Each phase of ocs is 3 weeks. There will never be a gap less than 3 except once per year for Christmas break.

alnkndriks

SNA (NIFE II)
It should be every 3 weeks, however what is on cantrac is not necessarily accurate they maintain a separate working list of who is going in what class, so the class you see might be empty but probably not.
Correction. Every three weeks, I glanced briefly. Nevertheless, more frequently than I thought

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
I get that but the issue is my family and her siblings are from MD. Her parents moved down to FL last year and we’re in the middle of nowhere in CA. I get things like this will happen once I get deployed but that’s not the case right now and I don’t want her to be stuck out here for 3 months with our 8 month when she could be around other people. That’s the main reason for wanting to do it. Her sanity ?? but also so she’s not alone. Worst case I drive us back cross country
I feel you. It's going to be a difficult time but communication is the most powerful tool that you have. Even when you're on deployment you can pretty reliably get in contact with your family and you have your command to support you. OCS is going to be a different beast, so make sure you give your family time to have a plan of what to expect while you're gone, points of contact at your command, even if it's just the ombudsman, and a way to reach OCS.

For family it's not just the knowledge that you'll be gone but the uncertainty of what challenges they will face while you're gone. My wife was recently pretty upset when she wasn't able to change a lightbulb at home by herself (vertical challenges and old light fixtures) but it wasn't really about the light bulb, it was the anticipation of the difficulties she might face while I'm away.

Just do your best to let them know it's just a temporary thing that you have to do in order to get where you want to be for yourself and your family while respecting that you both are undertaking an intense sacrifice being separated and it might not feel perfectly fair.

You got this, bud.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Also, some advice for my AD bubbas, apparently it's a good idea to get some uniform items ready before you go to OCS - we're starting out with some medals and ribbons that are going to be hard to get set up once we're getting ready to graduate. Get into the NEX or the ribbon rack website and get yourself a set of medals - and maybe mini medals? If you have a NAM, probably throw another star on because you'll likely get an EOT. Apparently if you order through the kiosk at the NEX you can save 10% which might make it worth it to build it online then log in and pay in store. If you have less than three then you can just do it yourself, so save your money. Otherwise it might be worth it if you have more money than time.

I'm not sure if we wear enlisted warfare devices at any time during training, anyone have any input on that?

Jacksa71

Just talked with the CO, he said I can leave at anytime of my choice for FY24. Shooting for the first September class since I get back from det in July.

JoeBob1788

Also, some advice for my AD bubbas, apparently it's a good idea to get some uniform items ready before you go to OCS - we're starting out with some medals and ribbons that are going to be hard to get set up once we're getting ready to graduate. Get into the NEX or the ribbon rack website and get yourself a set of medals - and maybe mini medals? If you have a NAM, probably throw another star on because you'll likely get an EOT. Apparently if you order through the kiosk at the NEX you can save 10% which might make it worth it to build it online then log in and pay in store. If you have less than three then you can just do it yourself, so save your money. Otherwise it might be worth it if you have more money than time.

I'm not sure if we wear enlisted warfare devices at any time during training, anyone have any input on that?
Mini-medals are not needed. Medals and ribbons are. You wear your earned warfare devices, so you need them.

Bring all serviceable uniforms. The RDCs will make sure they pass inspection, and if they do, you don’t have to buy new ones.

Hit up a Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society Thrift store. You can buy your officer uniforms there and save a ton. I got blues, whites, khakis, shoes, combo cover, and more for $90 total, and saved $1k.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Mini-medals are not needed. Medals and ribbons are. You wear your earned warfare devices, so you need them.

Bring all serviceable uniforms. The RDCs will make sure they pass inspection, and if they do, you don’t have to buy new ones.

Hit up a Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society Thrift store. You can buy your officer uniforms there and save a ton. I got blues, whites, khakis, shoes, combo cover, and more for $90 total, and saved $1k.
How much will it cost for everything at OCS? Rough guess

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y

^
NMCRS is a fantastic resource to get some of the uniform items on the cheap, and you might consider donating some of your old uniforms later on when you don't need them anymore.

marticar94

Just a heads up to everyone, got a call early from my recruiter that the OCS date I was assigned has been canceled for me. Apparently pretty much all the civilians from this board that got dates are having our dates changed. Someone forgot about the backlog so they sent an email out changing everything. I don’t have a new date yet and they told him it would be assigned later. So if you got a date, give your recruiter a call because it may have been changed.
It'll probably be a bit of a wait.
I got selected on the board in Winter '21 and have been on an indefinite hold since October 5th when they announced they weren't taking anymore SNAs at OCS until further notice. A buddy of mine is in the same predicament as well who got selected on the Summer '22 board.

exNavyOffRec

It'll probably be a bit of a wait.
I got selected on the board in Winter '21 and have been on an indefinite hold since October 5th when they announced they weren't taking anymore SNAs at OCS until further notice. A buddy of mine is in the same predicament as well who got selected on the Summer '22 board.
They have been sending SNA's to OCS just in smaller numbers, as long as you are in contact with your OR he should be keeping you up to date, also look at the Nov 21? SNA thread or the one you were selected on to see who is still waiting, who has gone, and who has ship dates.