• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Saving Private Ryan first 20 minutes ??
To be fair I still remember seeing those guts as a 6 year old lol

@FloridaDad I don’t have kids but I was the kid that loved war movies and playing pretend navy pilot. There is a docu-series called Carrier that is quite kid friendly and probably your best bet.

One of my personal favorites that is rated G is Tora! Tora! Tora! But it’s old and kids may have a hard time maintaining an attention span. Midway is another old one that is mild and rated PG. Greyhound is relatively mild for a new navy movie, doesn’t feature aviation really, but weighs a lot on the morality of war which is a very useful lesson. May not be suitable for that young if kids though so I’d preview it and make that call yourself.

Broadly military there is M*A*S*H which becomes an entirely different series if you find it without the laugh track. It’s not too intense and despite being a sitcom also exhibits the concepts of balancing morality and duty pretty extensively.

FloridaDad

To be fair I still remember seeing those guts as a 6 year old lol

@FloridaDad I don’t have kids but I was the kid that loved war movies and playing pretend navy pilot. There is a docu-series called Carrier that is quite kid friendly and probably your best bet.

One of my personal favorites that is rated G is Tora! Tora! Tora! But it’s old and kids may have a hard time maintaining an attention span. Midway is another old one that is mild and rated PG. Greyhound is relatively mild for a new navy movie, doesn’t feature aviation really, but weighs a lot on the morality of war which is a very useful lesson. May not be suitable for that young if kids though so I’d preview it and make that call yourself.

Broadly military there is M*A*S*H which becomes an entirely different series if you find it without the laugh track. It’s not too intense and despite being a sitcom also exhibits the concepts of balancing morality and duty pretty extensively.
I actually taught voice lessons to the son of one the writers of M*A*S*H

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Weird and kind of off topic question, but I'm thinking of ways to explain the military/navy to my 2 and 4 year olds before I go to OCS. Are there any good movies that are appropriate for younger kids that explain that at all in a way that doesn't make them afraid? Any children's books? Any suggestions of any kind from parents that are currently enlisted?
The bedtime story from Major Payne on repeat for 20 years straight.

Kinda late to the party but got the call today that I was selected this board! Neither my recruiter nor I knew my kit even made it lol. What a journey this has been.
Congrats! So essentially one full month of wait (I'm taking note to see how long for my board). Did they tell you next steps (like your OCS class) or will that be explained in official correspondence?

jacobsolo

Congrats! So essentially one full month of wait (I'm taking note to see how long for my board). Did they tell you next steps (like your OCS class) or will that be explained in official correspondence?
It seems results came out a couple weeks after the board (I just found out late) but it’s not always consistent. I was apart of the May board last year and that took over a month for results. Recruiter told me nothing else other than to sit tight for an OCS date and other info.

@exNavyOffRec You’ve mentioned in a previous thread the fact that the BOL verbiage is dated citing that the PQ for medical happens prior to board and there are no votes besides the PROREC. What is that new protocol that they haven’t updated BOL with?

I ask because my LCPO wanted me to reach out to my detailer as they cut me orders about a month ago. He (detailer) was concerned because PERS-47 has nothing to concur with the selection, but I’m assuming that’s because NRC N31 hasn’t finished all those steps and PERS won’t get that info until then.

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec You’ve mentioned in a previous thread the fact that the BOL verbiage is dated citing that the PQ for medical happens prior to board and there are no votes besides the PROREC. What is that new protocol that they haven’t updated BOL with?

I ask because my LCPO wanted me to reach out to my detailer as they cut me orders about a month ago. He (detailer) was concerned because PERS-47 has nothing to concur with the selection, but I’m assuming that’s because NRC N31 hasn’t finished all those steps and PERS won’t get that info until then.
As far as I know NRC will just notify the command of selection and nothing else will happen on NRC end until you get closer to going to OCS.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y

I sent my selection notification and board results to my detailer and she put my orders on the chopping block. I am not actually sure if you would need to do a 1306/7 to hang out at your PDS if you're awaiting OCS orders and you're near your PRD.

I sent my selection notification and board results to my detailer and she put my orders on the chopping block. I am not actually sure if you would need to do a 1306/7 to hang out at your PDS if you're awaiting OCS orders and you're near your PRD.
Nah, he just said he’d ORDCAN once PERS told him to. No 1306 needed. My admin still hasn’t even emailed them my release I don’t think though which I’m about to escalate.

Is our flight physical done at OCS? Finding both yes and no when searching so figured I’d go ahead and see if anyone has recent experience at OCS?

Storm27324

Is our flight physical done at OCS? Finding both yes and no when searching so figured I’d go ahead and see if anyone has recent experience at OCS?
Did mine for my package, already approved from aero (longest part) and already got a PQ letter from NRC (last package)

Waiting on my selection letter and orders now like most everyone else. Maybe next week? Idk ??‍♂️

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
This question is for people that have graduated OCS already but also if you know the answer, feel free to share. When do they size you for your Blues and Whites? I ask because when I went through bootcamp, they did everything the first week and after 8 weeks, most people lost a good bit of weight. My fear is after 13 weeks there will be a significant change in size and the uniforms aren’t cheap.