• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Tandrews12

Pro Y SNA
Got Pro Rec Y for SNA this board. My recruiter told me OCS FY 24 but nothing further. Any civilians know when they are going or know when we should find out? Trying to plan out my time until OCS. Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

Got Pro Rec Y for SNA this board. My recruiter told me OCS FY 24 but nothing further. Any civilians know when they are going or know when we should find out? Trying to plan out my time until OCS. Thanks!
You should check with your recruiter, at least one person from this board already has had their date pulled, there are still people waiting from Nov 2021 to get OCS dates.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Does anyone know how many SNA's usually get put into 1 OCS class? Or at least like a rough estimate of what its been like in the past? My recruiter also said there was 160 SNA's waiting to go, assuming that didn't count for us selected on this board. @exNavyOffRec is this something that has common data or is it just completely random on how many get thrown into a class?
It depends how aviation heavy the class is. During my time I saw as few as 1 SNA or as heavy as 25 SNAs

marticar94

They have been sending SNA's to OCS just in smaller numbers, as long as you are in contact with your OR he should be keeping you up to date, also look at the Nov 21? SNA thread or the one you were selected on to see who is still waiting, who has gone, and who has ship dates.
Took your advice and found my board's forum. looks like a bunch of people have received orders already now for July/August. Going to check base with my recruiter today to see if she can find anything out. Thanks for the input!

JoeBob1788

I thought so but that was the first I heard about it being 3 with Good Conduct Ribbon. Back to lower BAH lol. You have to commission after 4 right? Time in service after commissioning doesn’t factor in right?
TIS still matters, and when you hit 4, you’ll be paid the same as an O-1E with 4. O-1 maxes at 4, so you’d get no pay bump if you managed to still be an O-1 at 6 years. As it is you’ll be an O-2 at 6, which is paid the same as an O-2E with 6. You are missing zero base pay money. Even without E status you won’t miss out on TIS pay bumps.

It’s just a device to avoid having guys start out maxing out at 4, when they’ve already served a good stretch of time. I’d have been a bit upset to take a pay cut to go from first class to O-1, and it’s nice to have the TIS pay bumps up until O-3E at 18.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
The big factor is BAH. It’s like an extra 400 a month when you compare O1 to O1E. Just so I’m understanding, you either get O1E or you don’t right, I wouldn’t then fall under that category after I hit 4 years if I’m already commissioned right? I feel like it’s an obvious no, but I’m just clarifying.

The big factor is BAH. It’s like an extra 400 a month when you compare O1 to O1E. Just so I’m understanding, you either get O1E or you don’t right, I wouldn’t then fall under that category after I hit 4 years if I’m already commissioned right? I feel like it’s an obvious no, but I’m just clarifying.
The verbiage is specifically over 4 years of enlisted service, so unfortunately no.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
The verbiage is specifically over 4 years of enlisted service, so unfortunately no.
I figured. It would’ve been nice because of the BAH increase. Renting in Pensacola is like 2300 not including utilities so it starts to get pricey. We’ve looked on base but we’ve heard a ton of negative things about their housing.

I figured. It would’ve been nice because of the BAH increase. Renting in Pensacola is like 2300 not including utilities so it starts to get pricey. We’ve looked on base but we’ve heard a ton of negative things about their housing.
The base officer housing is honesty the best I’ve ever seen personally (from the facade at least lol), including USAF housing. But also it isn’t THAT expensive out in town. 2300 is definitely on the higher end. There are plenty of nice houses for 1600-2K in nice neighborhoods. I suggest looking in the perdido area because the commute through the west gate is super convenient and it’s a good family area with plenty of outdoorsy stuff around if you’re into that.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Thank you! We’ve looked at on base and also various locations off base. Again we aren’t shooting for the stars on these houses because we will only be here a short period of time but at the end of the day, I don’t want to live in a shack with pest issues.

FloridaDad

Weird and kind of off topic question, but I'm thinking of ways to explain the military/navy to my 2 and 4 year olds before I go to OCS. Are there any good movies that are appropriate for younger kids that explain that at all in a way that doesn't make them afraid? Any children's books? Any suggestions of any kind from parents that are currently enlisted?