• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

exNavyOffRec

What’s going on May board,
Finishing up my package this month to send off and was wondering if there was any advice as to whether or not to use my last retake on the ASTB.
My package currently:
Applying SNA
-ASTB #2 48 6/6/6
-LASIK waiver (currently 20/15 both eyes)
-LORs Active Duty O8 from helo community, Ret. F14 O4, Ret MH60s O4, President at shipyard I work for
-300 hours GA flying with PPL, IR, and CPL
-Recent experience in MH60 and E2 sim at NAS Norfolk as well as Super Hornet sim time at Oceana
I asked someone I know at NRC and I received a non-answer answer. "Given the SNA goal reductions and the number of selections made already for FY 23 it makes sense to not hold the SNA part of the May board and probably the SNA part of the October board as well, any decision is likely a few months away."

I would give it a shot with the 6 just in case you get lucky, you don't want to drop to a 5 or below.

towleba

Pro-Rec Y SNFO FY24
I asked someone I know at NRC and I received a non-answer answer. "Given the SNA goal reductions and the number of selections made already for FY 23 it makes sense to not hold the SNA part of the May board and probably the SNA part of the October board as well, any decision is likely a few months away."

I would give it a shot with the 6 just in case you get lucky, you don't want to drop to a 5 or below.
So they're expecting the May boards to be canceled? And possibly/probably October as well?

exNavyOffRec

So they're expecting the May boards to be canceled? And possibly/probably October as well?
The person said it "makes sense" that doesn't mean they will be, just like it made sense to not do all the selections on the last board, and now there are people waiting a year. NRC can do the right thing which is to cancel so they can get back on track, or they can do the easy thing which is to ignore the problem and kick it down the road.

OK thank you. I truly do not see a scenario where 4 boards are canceled in a year. Jan, may, Aug, and Oct. But I dont know how all this works. Seems like there is still at least a few quotas that need to need to be filled.

FloridaDad

It is interesting that the list 5 as the middle of the curve when you look at the results from the NRD's and the majority of the test results are greater that 5 with the average 6-7, in years of data we had just a handful of results less than 5, one scored straight 1's the other was 3's. While we had many who scored 8 and 9. It would be interesting if Pensacola updated their graphs showing test results.
It could be that the lower scores just aren't applying or coming on AW. Of course you were in recruiting so you would've seen all that first hand so maybe a lot of the lower scores are happening with ROTC or AD attempts (which doesn't really make sense but who knows)?

Holy crap, so now we're not only talking about no May board we're also talking about no October board (and by extension no August board)? At this rate I'm going to age out before I'm even allowed to apply and that's unbelievably depressing. I'm going to try hard not to think about this much because if there's no boards this year I probably won't ever get my shot and that's really hard to think about... It's almost enough to make me just go enlist rather than wait a year to be told "sorry you're too old". Almost... I'm too stubborn for that. But still, really discouraging to think about. I don't know what I'm going to do in the meantime other than substitute teach...

exNavyOffRec

OK thank you. I truly do not see a scenario where 4 boards are canceled in a year. Jan, may, Aug, and Oct. But I dont know how all this works. Seems like there is still at least a few quotas that need to need to be filled.
This exact scenario happened years ago with SWO, they over-selected and filled up the current and the next FY which led to nearly 2 years of no SWO boards.

If they ignore the issue it won't go away, they need to address it and when they do people are going to get the short end of the stick.

FloridaDad

This exact scenario happened years ago with SWO, they over-selected and filled up the current and the next FY which led to nearly 2 years of no SWO boards.

If they ignore the issue it won't go away, they need to address it and when they do people are going to get the short end of the stick.
I just really really really hope they address it AFTER I get selected haha. 2 years of no SNA boards would likely mean the end of this path for me. I'm going to try and ignore the situation so I don't completely panic when I should be prepping for my retake.

I know age waivers are a thing, but I feel like I'd need 9/9/9 ala @flatspinturkeyb

exNavyOffRec

I can see their decision being dependent on how many people drop from flight school or OCS
yes, but at this point nearly all of FY 22 selects for SNA are done with OCS, it is the OCS drops that are the concern as once they are past OCS they really can't make up losses via new accessions.

it really is a wait and see, I think the worst situation is they move forward with SNA for May and have the selection rate so low that they rejected nearly everyone causing them to jump through hoops again.

for those that are AD the new OCS ISPP PA will be a viable option for some to fast track a pro Y.

Sad thing is, I meet all the requirements for the ispp except the excellent PFA. I barely missed it. Guess I'll have to get it on the upcoming PFA.

JoeBob1788

The ISPP deal sounds pretty cool, great for AD applying now… I wouldn’t be eligible anyway due to age waiver. Under the new ISPP, are AD still able to apply the former way, with age waivers?