• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

Jstalz

How is everyone else handling the anxiety? Having all this up in the air has really put a lot of stress on me.
@FloridaDad out of curiosity did you ever consider applying for the USAF or ANG? I mean I’d definitely prefer to fly in the Navy, but I know you’re on a time crunch… were those options you considered/would consider?

Fib

@FloridaDad just been taking it day by day. I try not to stress over things that are beyond my control, but your situation is different from mine. I graduate in May, and I just wanna get in the pipeline ASAP. I’m tired of roofing when I’m out for schoolbreak and I don’t want a 9-5 haha.

FloridaDad

@FloridaDad out of curiosity did you ever consider applying for the USAF or ANG? I mean I’d definitely prefer to fly in the Navy, but I know you’re on a time crunch… were those options you considered/would consider?
The USAF won't really give me the time of day since I don't have a 3.5 plus GPA and a STEM degree. They've (as politely as one can) straight up told me I'm not a priority as they don't believe I'd be picked up and they want to spend time with those that will. I am planning on taking an AFOQT after I'm done with my ASTB stuff as I was told that scoring in the 90's on that is basically the only way they'll let me apply.

As far as the ANG (or AF Reserves), I'm definitely curious about that (and it's another reason I'm going to take an AFOQT). What I haven't been able to figure out is if I can do it full time. I don't want a part time slot I want this to be my full time job and everyone I talk to can't give me a straight answer on that front. Some people say they'll only give full time work to those with seniority, other say that of course pilots can fly full time with the ANG or USAF Reserves. And those that have said full time is possible with the guard/reserve often say you won't be flying much because the full time work is office work and you only fly as much as the other reservists do. Basically I don't have any real answers on that avenue and since I'm so focused on studying right now I haven't dug any deeper. If anyone knows, or knows someone that does, I'd love to hear more about it! And once I'm done with my tests I'm definitely picking up that shovel and digging for info.

exNavyOffRec

The USAF won't really give me the time of day since I don't have a 3.5 plus GPA and a STEM degree. They've (as politely as one can) straight up told me I'm not a priority as they don't believe I'd be picked up and they want to spend time with those that will. I am planning on taking an AFOQT after I'm done with my ASTB stuff as I was told that scoring in the 90's on that is basically the only way they'll let me apply.

As far as the ANG (or AF Reserves), I'm definitely curious about that (and it's another reason I'm going to take an AFOQT). What I haven't been able to figure out is if I can do it full time. I don't want a part time slot I want this to be my full time job and everyone I talk to can't give me a straight answer on that front. Some people say they'll only give full time work to those with seniority, other say that of course pilots can fly full time with the ANG or USAF Reserves. And those that have said full time is possible with the guard/reserve often say you won't be flying much because the full time work is office work and you only fly as much as the other reservists do. Basically I don't have any real answers on that avenue and since I'm so focused on studying right now I haven't dug any deeper. If anyone knows, or knows someone that does, I'd love to hear more about it! And once I'm done with my tests I'm definitely picking up that shovel and digging for info.
USAF gives priority to USAFA then AFROTC and any left go to OTS, it isn't uncommon for those to try for USAF pilot and get offered a backseat job instead.

If it was an email from NRC then every NRD should be telling their applicants they cannot submit their applications, that is what to look for as the civilian applicant are talking to their OR's

Often the NRD CO's or NTAG OIC don't get really involved in officer recruiting, they just go with what the OACR or AOPS is telling them.

They could have an AD only board as the numbers of AD are small and that would at least keep the AD moving, to me that is the right thing to do.
I like that idea lol

Jstalz

Ah I see. It's amazing to see the differences between USAF recruiting and Navy recruiting. I've had a very nice relationship with my Navy OR, but I recently started speaking with a USAF OR and I am trying to schedule a time to take the AFOQT so that I have the ability to apply for USAF and ANG. I'm nervous about what my chances would be with USAF if I applied since I have minimal flight experience and I also am not a STEM major. Still, I got time to still wait for the Navy to consider me since I'm just a college senior...

Dboom85

Banned
Ah I see. It's amazing to see the differences between USAF recruiting and Navy recruiting. I've had a very nice relationship with my Navy OR, but I recently started speaking with a USAF OR and I am trying to schedule a time to take the AFOQT so that I have the ability to apply for USAF and ANG. I'm nervous about what my chances would be with USAF if I applied since I have minimal flight experience and I also am not a STEM major. Still, I got time to still wait for the Navy to consider me since I'm just a college senior...
I could be wrong but Air Force might be tough to join right now because I think they’re trying to decrease the number of officers. Something todo with budget

FloridaDad

Your GPA will help you big time. I was basically told that they're not interested in anyone under 3.5 GPA. They won't even meet with you here in Florida, they just have you sit in a massive Zoom meeting, ask you to fill out a ton of paperwork, and then email you a month later to tell you that they're not interested and you're on your own to find somewhere else to take an AFOQT and then if you score super high they'll talk to you (if they feel like it).

I also saw in a facebook group that they picked up like 14 civilians for pilot at the January board then closed it for the rest of the year.

Jstalz

Your GPA will help you big time. I was basically told that they're not interested in anyone under 3.5 GPA. They won't even meet with you here in Florida, they just have you sit in a massive Zoom meeting, ask you to fill out a ton of paperwork, and then email you a month later to tell you that they're not interested and you're on your own to find somewhere else to take an AFOQT and then if you score super high they'll talk to you (if they feel like it).

I also saw in a facebook group that they picked up like 14 civilians for pilot at the January board then closed it for the rest of the year.
Oh wow yeah my experience with AF recruiting hasn't been great. Over email they sent out a pre-qual form that I had to fill out before they would speak to me and then about 2 months later I got a call from an OR who was like we can schedule you for the AFOQT. No in-person meetings, just a phone call. I get that they're super busy, but I can't help but think about how I've had a much more professional and engaging relationship with my Navy OR.

That's disappointing to hear... So you're saying that they closed the summer 2022 board or is this last year?

Jstalz

I could be wrong but Air Force might be tough to join right now because I think they’re trying to decrease the number of officers. Something todo with budget
Yeah I could see that being true and I already know they don't really put any emphasis on getting pilots through OTS anyway. Either way, I hope to have the Navy consider my application whenever that might be as Navy is my goal, but I'd like to start getting together my PCSM score so that I can have AF or ANG in case I get Pro Rec N or we don't have a board in two years lol

Interesting thing I was reading about USAF is that their tip of the spear force is made up mostly of officers, as opposed to other branches, since officers are the ones who end up doing most of the fighting...