• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

Tanner12B

Hey guys, first post for me. Do y'all know how heavily the Navy weighs flight hours? I have a mediocre package (54 7/7/6 and 3.5 GPA), but luckily the one thing I do have going for me is my flight experience (around 970 hours). I am just curious as to what extent that makes me more competitive.

Wind-Jammer

Hey guys, first post for me. Do y'all know how heavily the Navy weighs flight hours? I have a mediocre package (54 7/7/6 and 3.5 GPA), but luckily the one thing I do have going for me is my flight experience (around 970 hours). I am just curious as to what extent that makes me more competitive.
“I like your package, that’s a nice package” lol
All jokes aside, I’d say you’re competitive, from what I’ve been told, flight hours definitely don’t hurt, but don’t necessarily become a deciding factor.
“The navy will teach you the navy way. Flight hours or not”

Tanner12B

“I like your package, that’s a nice package” lol
All jokes aside, I’d say you’re competitive, from what I’ve been told, flight hours definitely don’t hurt, but don’t necessarily become a deciding factor.
“The navy will teach you the navy way. Flight hours or not”
Thanks haha, I appreciate it. I also hear some people talking about letters of recommendations. My recruiter told me that they no longer need any. Does anyone know if that is true?

exNavyOffRec

PFAR makes you competitive, I have lost track of how many applicants I have seen get the "N" that have lots of flight hours and certifications but have a low PFAR, while I have seen many with no flight hours and higher PFAR get picked up left and right.

You are on the bubble, too high to retest without giving at least one board a shot. If you get a "N" when you go to board then study, retest and try again.
Thanks haha, I appreciate it. I also hear some people talking about letters of recommendations. My recruiter told me that they no longer need any. Does anyone know if that is true?
LOR's don't matter for aviation as it is all about the ASTB, that is what predicts success, and by predicting success it also helps keep cost down for the USN by limiting attrition.

The screenshot I have attached will answer your question. PFAR is the biggest factor. Flight hours do help break "ties" so to speak.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220518-153851_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220518-153851_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 78
FYI that is the same canned response they have given for years, when you dive into the data you see the link between all candidates, the fact a percentage have flight experience is generally a coincidence
I know it is a canned response, but I also know there is some truth to it. I've been in the navy long enough to know that the navy loves things that break "ties". As an extreme example, say they only have one quota left and it's down to 2 people with a 7 PFAR and a 3.0 GPA. They will pick the one with flight experience.

I'm not saying that someone with a 5 PFAR and 300 hrs will get selected over a 8 or 9 PFAR. I'm only saying that anything that will give you a slight edge is worth looking into depending on how much you want you want to be a pilot or nfo.

exNavyOffRec

I know it is a canned response, but I also know there is some truth to it. I've been in the navy long enough to know that the navy loves things that break "ties". As an extreme example, say they only have one quota left and it's down to 2 people with a 7 PFAR and a 3.0 GPA. They will pick the one with flight experience.

I'm not saying that someone with a 5 PFAR and 300 hrs will get selected over a 8 or 9 PFAR. I'm only saying that anything that will give you a slight edge is worth looking into depending on how much you want you want to be a pilot or nfo.
It would be rare for a tie breaker to be needed, PFAR or FOFAR, then GPA, the anything else. It would be more likely for a person to win the lottery (I still haven't won BTW).

The reason I said what I said is the comment they made is very general, it is like saying out of a HS graduating class 57% of those accepted to college had brown hair and the remaining 43% had blonde hair. It leads you to believe that a person with brown hair has a better chance of being accepted to college in that graduating class, and then you look and find out that all of those accepted had GPA's over 3.5, what is the more accurate statement is that those with GPA's over 3.5 were accepted to college and 57% of those happened to have brown hair.

Wind-Jammer

It would be rare for a tie breaker to be needed, PFAR or FOFAR, then GPA, the anything else. It would be more likely for a person to win the lottery (I still haven't won BTW).

The reason I said what I said is the comment they made is very general, it is like saying out of a HS graduating class 57% of those accepted to college had brown hair and the remaining 43% had blonde hair. It leads you to believe that a person with brown hair has a better chance of being accepted to college in that graduating class, and then you look and find out that all of those accepted had GPA's over 3.5, what is the more accurate statement is that those with GPA's over 3.5 were accepted to college and 57% of those happened to have brown hair.
All I’m getting out of this is that I have brown hair and a 3.5 gpa, meaning I’m going to be a pilot ??

NAVY_16

Hi everyone. I just want to know if y'all think I'm competitive for NFO selection.

OAR:54
AQR: 6 , PFAR: 5 , FOFAR: 6
GPA: 3.5
Major: Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences at UCSD

NFO is my first choice and I did not apply for pilot. That being so, would my PFAR score hurt my NFO chances?

Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone. I just want to know if y'all think I'm competitive for NFO selection.

OAR:54
AQR: 6 , PFAR: 5 , FOFAR: 6
GPA: 3.5
Major: Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences at UCSD

NFO is my first choice and I did not apply for pilot. That being so, would my PFAR score hurt my NFO chances?

Thank you!
nope