• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

BB Poison

Contributor
How’s everyone doing working out for OCS? Been working hard on running but I guess I went too hard, doctor diagnosed me with patellar tendinitis so now I’m taking a break from it while I do physical therapy and lift weights/cycle to build up the muscles around my knee.

space_sailor

How’s everyone doing working out for OCS? Been working hard on running but I guess I went too hard, doctor diagnosed me with patellar tendinitis so now I’m taking a break from it while I do physical therapy and lift weights/cycle to build up the muscles around my knee.
I have mostly just been alternating lifting weights and running each day.
For weights I rotate between legs, upper body, and back days.
Running I do a sprinting, long distance, and 1.5 mile day each week.
Sunday I rest.

I got a pretty good lifting regiment - if you want it pm me.
But I know I'll have to train my forearm planks, sit ups, pull ups, and push ups a whole hell of a lot more to be in shape for OCS

in terms of your patellar tendinits - to continue doing cardio are you allowed to bike, row, or swim? wouldn't want to spend too many days w/o cardio

WorldWar33.3

I haven't lifted weights in a long time. I've been doing strictly calisthenics and the MARSOC short card every other day:
  1. 30 Push-ups
  2. 30 Air squats (just do regular squats)
  3. 30 Crunches
  4. 10 Burpees
  5. 10 Windmills
  6. 30 Push-ups
  7. 30 Mountain climbers
  8. 30 Flutter kicks
  9. 10 Burpees
  10. 10 Cherry pickers (4-count)
  11. 30 Push-ups
  12. 30 Star jumpers (or jumping jacks)
  13. 30 Back Extensions (“Supermans”)
  14. 10 Burpees
  15. 10 Chain breakers
  16. 30 Push-ups
  17. 30 Lunges
  18. 30 Hello dollies
  19. 10 Burpees
  20. 10 Trunk twists
  21. 3 Max sets of dead-hang pull-ups or flexed-arm hangs
^^Very customizable too!

For cardio days, I've been doing a lot of different workouts on the rowing machine (sprint ladders, HIIT, etc.). Those are easy on my knees as opposed to running. Sometimes I would even do LSD runs (not what you think!) Long/Slow/Distance runs at whatever slow pace you want so you can salvage your knees, tendons, and popliteus muscles.

Also, get a foam roller to massage any knots and tension in your muscles.

I lost 18 pounds since I started working out with the Marines and quit drinking booze. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help you guys out with your workouts and cardio so you can crush PT!!

JoeBob1788

I had knee pain and patellar tendinitis for years, usually attributed to overuse. I used to run far, fast, and often. A teammate challenged me to a 30 day, 10 minutes a day “third world squat” challenge. It’s a complete game changer. I’ve never had a lower body problem since adding deep squat holds. It loosened my shins and ankles, which I did not know or think were tight, and all knee pain went away entirely. I now do it for 2-5 minutes a day. I’ve maintained my running (slowing from 8 min 1.5 miles to 9-9:15 min 1.5 miles) while squatting heavy with far fewer issues than in my 20s. Give it a 2 week trial, it will certainly help.

BB Poison

Contributor
I have mostly just been alternating lifting weights and running each day.
For weights I rotate between legs, upper body, and back days.
Running I do a sprinting, long distance, and 1.5 mile day each week.
Sunday I rest.

I got a pretty good lifting regiment - if you want it pm me.
But I know I'll have to train my forearm planks, sit ups, pull ups, and push ups a whole hell of a lot more to be in shape for OCS

in terms of your patellar tendinits - to continue doing cardio are you allowed to bike, row, or swim? wouldn't want to spend too many days w/o cardio
I mentioned it in the post but I’ve been cycling in my gym, which has helped quite a bit.

I had knee pain and patellar tendinitis for years, usually attributed to overuse. I used to run far, fast, and often. A teammate challenged me to a 30 day, 10 minutes a day “third world squat” challenge. It’s a complete game changer. I’ve never had a lower body problem since adding deep squat holds. It loosened my shins and ankles, which I did not know or think were tight, and all knee pain went away entirely. I now do it for 2-5 minutes a day. I’ve maintained my running (slowing from 8 min 1.5 miles to 9-9:15 min 1.5 miles) while squatting heavy with far fewer issues than in my 20s. Give it a 2 week trial, it will certainly help.
I’ve never heard of that third world squat challenge before, I’ll check it out, thanks!

elijahh36

Does anyone know if ( Hopefully when we're selected) we get our orders along with our selection letter during release of results or do we just get our selection letter first and then have to wait for orders?

Does anyone know if ( Hopefully when we're selected) we get our orders along with our selection letter during release of results or do we just get our selection letter first and then have to wait for orders?
Are you active duty? You will have to wait for your orders sometimes months. Not sure how it works for civilians.

Shheen

Keep in mind that improper form when performing any physical exercise is the primary reason behind injuries. Would be beneficial to look into proper form to prevent any further injuries

Wind-Jammer

Wait, so chicken wings and beer isn’t the way to prepare for OCS?!? Man am I behind ?

All these comments are great and will help prepare, one more thing to consider is anyone that’s not particularly fond of swimming or haven’t had much time in a pool. Look at the third class swim and start training. It’s not that hard but I’ve seen people that just didn’t swim much in their lives and had to do remedial training to pass, you don’t want to be one of them, it’s just another task to add to an already loaded daily schedule.

JoeBob1788

Keep in mind that improper form when performing any physical exercise is the primary reason behind injuries. Would be beneficial to look into proper form to prevent any further injuries
Form yes, what I’ve also seen countless times are “overuse” injuries that result from jumping from relative physical inactivity to relatively strenuous activity. Shin splints, for example, are completely avoidable by properly ramping up your running over the course of several months. If you wait until OCS or whatever to build your base, you will get injured because your body simply isn’t ready for daily activity, particularly somewhat strenuous daily activity.

If you’re not ready, do a couch to 5K program. Break it in. After that, pick an intermediate running plan. Don’t make shin splints and foot issues another thing to worry about as you transition into the military. The same concept applies to push-ups, planks, etc, but in my experience most injuries will be running related when dealing with body weight.

EDIT: guess what’ll also treat and prevent shin splints? The miraculous third world squat I’m always shilling.

elijahh36

Are you active duty? You will have to wait for your orders sometimes months. Not sure how it works for civilians.
Yes, I’m AD. I unfortunately just got new orders to another command and have to leave 28 AUG 2022. I’m hoping if I get selected, I can stay in my current command until I get new orders to OCS.

Yes, I’m AD. I unfortunately just got new orders to another command and have to leave 28 AUG 2022. I’m hoping if I get selected, I can stay in my current command until I get new orders to OCS.
Are you applying sna/snfo or both? Snfos are leaving quicker than snas.