• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31July2023 SNA/SNFO Board

gtownjake

Took me forever to get scheduled for MEPS so I missed the first deadline, am very thankful to the board gods for pushing back a month haha
Oh yeah it definitely helped, me included. Good thing you were able to get in. I’m wondering why MEPS varies so much by region. I was able to get in within the week I started my process.

Enigma

What is an officer's endorsement? Does every application need an officer's endorsement?

I'm a civilian. I tried looking this up, but it looks like this is mainly for those currently enlisted.

exNavyOffRec

Is it possible for civilians to get officer endorsements? Because I got a call from an officer who works with my recruiter saying he wanted to talk to me so that he could endorse my package.
That is probably one of the people in the chain of command who sign off on the application, in 99% of the cases they don't talk to the applicants. Do you have a waiver that is needed?

In regards to aviation it is all about the ASTB.

Enigma

That is probably one of the people in the chain of command who sign off on the application, in 99% of the cases they don't talk to the applicants. Do you have a waiver that is needed?

In regards to aviation it is all about the ASTB.

I did actually end up talking to him. He asked why Navy, why officer, why aviation, my backup plan if I didn't join the Navy. And then he started talking about what the aviation jobs were like and if I had any questions.

I don't need a waiver that I know of. Medically, I'm fine. I have my degree, albeit with a low gpa.

I did ok on the ASTB.
7/7/8

exNavyOffRec

I did actually end up talking to him. He asked why Navy, why officer, why aviation, my backup plan if I didn't join the Navy. And then he started talking about what the aviation jobs were like and if I had any questions.

I don't need a waiver that I know of. Medically, I'm fine. I have my degree, albeit with a low gpa.

I did ok on the ASTB.
7/7/8
That is odd, maybe the low GPA is what caused him to talk to you.

An 8 for the FOFAR should be good to give you a decent shot at SNFO.

Enigma

That is odd, maybe the low GPA is what caused him to talk to you.

An 8 for the FOFAR should be good to give you a decent shot at SNFO.

Yeah, my top pick was SNFO and he said that he used to be an NFO. He did mention that NFOs had to be really good students and he was impressed with my ASTB, but he didn't bring up my GPA.

I haven't been told my final GPA yet. I've been to multiple colleges and it hadn't been calculated when I last spoke to my recruiter. If I had to guess it would be around ~2.4.

Last edited:

Enigma

After some more googling, I read that many civilian applicants have interviews with officers to improve their package.

Are officer interviews different from officer endorsements?

eryman818

After some more googling, I read that many civilian applicants have interviews with officers to improve their package.

The only “endorsement” the active duty receives is their commanding officers endorsement. Interviews are required for active duty to receive insight on the applicant from people in the community. Hence why at least one member of the 3 required interviews should be in the community the applicant is applying for.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Not accurate for aviation.

For my SEAL packet I had to have at least 2 SEAL Officers endorse me… I chose aviation because that is my passion and I’m giving that my best shot first.

In regards to aviation there was no endorsement from an officer needed. My recruiter personally required 5 LORs 3 in aviation, my boss, and coach. It’s not a requirement to have LORs (Letter of Recommendations) for aviation but he told me that’s what I needed for a strong kit.

Like what @exNavyOffRec said, you’re getting concepts confused especially with google want to be military sites. They may be calling LORs “endorsements”. In a sense yes they are endorsing you on their behalf by promoting you but it’s not an endorsement in big Navy’s eyes.

Conclusion, LOR not the same as Endorsement. Some designators require you to be endorsed, some do not.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

If you’re going the Marine route then yes you do need to be interviewed and endorsed. Navy, No