• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

FloridaDad

We knew all along that we would be FY24 if picked up. Honestly that chart has some very confusing numbers and doesn’t help us at all. I think at this point just assume that we know nothing, our recruiters know nothing, and we won’t know anything until official results are here.

cjh5073

they’d need to be selecting FY24 this board right? is that good or bad news for us?
It’s not bad or good news - it just means you’re going to be waiting for awhile to ship to OCS if you get selected.

I doubt the 12 number is legit though - ex navy recruiter might have more wise insight, but just don’t expect to ship for at least a year.

You should also put your scores up on the spreadsheet and see how you stack.

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Thanks for your responses. Assuming we get selected that year wait is going to be killer… you never want someone to drop out on their dream but that’s probably the only way we’re going to get sent to Newport earlier. I do have one more question. What does highly recommended mean?

cjh5073

Thanks for your responses. Assuming we get selected that year wait is going to be killer… you never want someone to drop out on their dream but that’s probably the only way we’re going to get sent to Newport earlier. I do have one more question. What does highly recommended mean?
What’s the context? Also in recommendation speak “highly recommended” is actually pretty bad in navy terms.

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y
You were AD right? So you understand Eval gouge?

That’s really what I’m referring to, but I’m not sure where cj is getting his info from.
we’re dirty civies and do not understand this language you speak? I got an O-6 to write me a letter does that mean anything for SNA or is the general consensus that it’s scores/gpa/flight hours only?

cjh5073

we’re dirty civies and do not understand this language you speak? I got an O-6 to write me a letter does that mean anything for SNA or is the general consensus that it’s scores/gpa/flight hours only?
So - for civies - and exnavyofficierrecruiter will say eval letters mean nothing, which they basically do.

However - there are (at least for AD folks) - some indicators that make an eval letter stand out.

For context - I have an active O-8 recommendation letter, and an O-6 recommendation letter. Both have handwriting on them from the member, which is the ultimate indicator that it’s a quality recommendation.

So some indicators that your eval letter means something:

1. There’s handwriting on it from the service member.

2. Certain words are bolded - such as - “STRONGEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION” or “SELECT NOW.” The board won’t really read the letter, they will just look for the indicators, because as exnavyofficerrecruiter points out the scores are what means most.

3. The clout of the person writing. Are they an aviator? Are they in a major command? Do they know someone on the board? Do they normally write letters?

Chances are most letters you write yourself and the person just signs, so when you see things like “highly recommended” - that’s actually not a great use of language for a quality recommendation.

crt91

So - for civies - and exnavyofficierrecruiter will say eval letters mean nothing, which they basically do.

However - there are (at least for AD folks) - some indicators that make an eval letter stand out.

For context - I have an active O-8 recommendation letter, and an O-6 recommendation letter. Both have handwriting on them from the member, which is the ultimate indicator that it’s a quality recommendation.

So some indicators that your eval letter means something:

1. There’s handwriting on it from the service member.

2. Certain words are bolded - such as - “STRONGEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION” or “SELECT NOW.” The board won’t really read the letter, they will just look for the indicators, because as exnavyofficerrecruiter points out the scores are what means most.

3. The clout of the person writing. Are they an aviator? Are they in a major command? Do they know someone on the board? Do they normally write letters?

Chances are most letters you write yourself and the person just signs, so when you see things like “highly recommended” - that’s actually not a great use of language for a quality recommendation.
That’s pretty interesting, I tried to stack the deck on LOR’s and I saw some used a couple of key words. Makes sense now.

cjh5073

That’s pretty interesting, I tried to stack the deck on LOR’s and I saw some used a couple of key words. Makes sense now.
Yeah it’s key words, and handwriting.

Everyone in the aviation community told me that if there’s handwriting on the eval - then it doesn’t get any better than that.