• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe it's just me but I think that would be pretty cool to see an 8 bladed prop on the P-3.

Would look like a TU-95 except smaller of course.

And the wings wouldn't be swept....

P-7A LRAACA was supposed to have five bladed props

Proposed P-7A LRAACA replacement for P-3
p-7-3.jpg

The competing Lockheed proposal for MMA would likely use same six bladed prop as C-130J due to similarity of motors (one is upside down relative to the other).

Lockheed MMA proposal
apr03_events27.jpg

C-130J propellers
180px-Hercules.propeller.arp.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Catmando,

Was the "Never above 12K" for SAM reasons, to be near the dirt to hide in the weeds, or something else?

My not-versed-in-ACM behind would think that altitude would increase your energy state and give you PE to trade off for KE, but I don't know jack about ACM.

Generally, the surface-to-air threat (both SAM's and differnt calibers of AAA) dictated the altitudes more so than did the tactical mission… and of course, wherever the MiG's were. The only A/C that ever went in high -above 13k - were B-52's (they well above 30K) and they stayed up there.

Navy Alpha Strike aircraft, laden with bombs had to stay low enough to still adequately maneuver hard and jink, avoid AAA and stay out of the higher Pk of the SAM envelope of higher altitudes, yet still be high enough for a 'stabalized' 40-degree bomb run to target. This meant ingress of about 12K. The PE to KE tradeoff you mention was gained by a shallow dive for the bombers to about 10K at the roll-in IP for a 5k release and a 3.5k pullout. Egress route and altitude were every section for themselves. Some went out at mid-altitudes 3.5 to 5k. Some went out as low and as fast as they could go. Low in Karst valleys was especially nice. Mostly it was just squadron or personal preference.

MiG-Cap was done at 3,500 and 450kts (420kts was "corner speed" so we always had and maintained all the KE we really needed). Ingress to Mig-Cap station might have been a little higer 5k - 7k maybe, but we maintiained 3,500' on station (about 15 minutes) Nice, thick air there; lots of engine thrust down low, and lots of maneuverability! It was just above small arms fire, and out of the higher heart of the SAM envelope. And it was fun flying. It was also closer to where the MiG's were - either above or below 3,500. So 90% of the time you were below 10k, and probably 60 - 75% below 5k.

MasterBates

15 min on station.. Wow.

It normally took me that long to make sense of the RADAR/IFF/ESM situation and figure out who was who in the zoo.. Granted much different time and much lower threat environment.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, amazing how the unknowing know so much about BFM.
Nothing personal to you FastMover, but referring to the other site posters.

This is pot calling kettle black being one of the "unknowing" yourself.

MasterBates

Here is how Faghatter claimed to have ended up in helos

Faghatter said:
I stated out in F-15E's and had an ejection sequence that left me with 2 compressed disc and 1 completely destroyed, couldn't fly jets anymore because my legs would go numb if I jarred my back to severly.

My uncle was head of the AF Personnel Boards at the time and made the suggestion to have me medically reviewed for helo's instead of wasting all the AF training money. Docs found that with the ability to move around a bit more and stretch when needed I could fly helos without to much issue. So I transferred over at the same time as a helo guy was looking to go jets. Back then everyone wanted into the F-15 "E"

After 2 years I got selected for AFSOC and continued on there until I finally started having more back issues and they gave me the choice of a medical out or a desk. Obviously I wasn't willing to ride the desk so I took the out instead.
Anyway our squadron and wing deployed Sept. 30 2001 for Afghanistan and in the process of being there picked up some Seals and Recon guys hopping a C-2 ride to the Eisenhower via Coronado and Virgina Creek and took them incountry. At the time with the 53 we were the only ones that could fly up high until the Army showed up with the CH-47.

When questioned on the ejection sequence gone wrong..

Faghatter said:
I was flying the E in England we were come back through the "Wales Gap" which is a LLTR, according to what I can remember (explain in a minute) and what my WSO told me here are the gorey details. Feel free to share with A4's and HeyJoe.

We were at 400 agl +/- a few doing 380 IAS preparing for a hard right to the range at the end of the valley, entered the right turn approx 70 degree angle of bank, burners on, accellerating to 500 IAS for the turn, was 3.5 plus on the G meter when we injested a seagull in the #2 engine. Engine threw parts all over the place and we lost hydrallics and alot of control response immediately. Because #1 was still in burner and cooking we produced a 25-38 degree of yaw and started to roll past 90 degree's. I was fighting to keep the shiney side up while my WSO was calling out system failures. At this point we are about 4-7 seconds since the bird strike and all the stick input goes dead, plane was at 460kts 79 degrees of bank and 15 degrees nose down, radar alt read out 280, I said and per WSO "oh FUCK, prepare to" and the next think I know I am hanging in the straps, WSO said he knew exactly what I was going to say and at 200 feet and 450+ kts he wasn't going to wait, pulled the handle with switch in "both" position and punched us both. Problem for me was because I was leaning to the right and had my hands on the controls still when the seat went, I still handn't gotten completely back in the seat because was still trying to keep it from rolling past 90 degrees, went out with my back tweaked to the side, and leaning forward so when I hit the slipstream I knocked myself out on the seat, broke arm in 2 places below the shoulder and 1 above, cracked the rotator cuff, broke the rotator ball, compressed 5 disc, crushed 1 and had to have 2 fused together, dislocated my right knee cap and had a concussion and bruised ribs.

All that said I am happy to still be here today, but after that I couldn't go low level anymore because any sharp jar to my lower back and my legs get numb like when you sit on them for a long time except I can possibly loose feeling. Luckily like I said my uncle was CO at Randolph and he had some pull and got me a option to switch to helos, doc cleared me because not as strenuous on the back and also not as life threatening with 2 pilots and slower a/c etc.. etc..

Finally back got tired of helo's and actually so was I at dealing with it so they offered, a desk, a systems instuctor for the E but no flying (yeah right we all know those guys) or a medical release so I took the option to get out.

Now I spend my days harassing newbies and giving shit to Navy guys (which includes half my family)

There's my FAKEstory.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ @ Flathatter13 ..... "Virginia Creek" .....

I love it.

RECON deploys out of neither place nor did they deploy with SEALs in opening stages of OEF....and Pave Low guys KNOW who's riding in the back. Speaking of Pave Low, MH-47 beat them to theatre so that's bogus, but the biggest bogus statement was landing on Ike:

On May 24, 2001, IKE entered the Northrop Grumman Newport News (NGNN) shipyard for her mid-life Refueling Complex Overhaul where nearly every space and system on board was upgraded or refurbished.

After almost four years at NGNN, IKE returned to her homeport at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, on January 25, 2005. The ship completed Sea Trials on March 25, 2005 and after several months of operations, IKE finished a four-month Post Shakedown Availability and Selected Restricted Availability in October 2005. Carrier Strike Group Eight moved aboard in November 2005, and Carrier Air Wing Seven returned to begin the Fleet Readiness Training Plan with the ship in February 2006.

Not much time at sea for Ike in timeframe he's talking about....maybe he meant Vinson? Yeah, that's the ticket!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Kmac- You guys have any out in Cali?

When I was in Norfolk I did not see any on the C-2s there.

BTW, love the Faghatter13.........from here on out, he is Faghatter. Pax River is in the final stages of the 8 bladed prop (they've been in the final stages for a year :confused:). As I recall, they are funded. The COD's will get them at some point.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I have a couple of guys I know with the Va ANG unit who say that BFM (I guess ACM in Navy speak) hops that are Raptor v. Raptor are pretty damn sick...

"Max" Mogu (drunk, spell check is off, fvck the cubbies for losing it in the 9th inning today at wriggley!) is a good guy, even if he was an eagle bum.

BTW, I got to see the first raptor demo for ACC, my old man was still at ACC doing viper weps and tactics stuff and invited me along that day "for lunch" (there were a few other family members, on the ramp, but not too many). It was really F-ing cool to say the least. To see both Viper and Eagle patch wearers mouths drop open at some of those manuevers was pretty amazing.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
www.airshowbuzz.com has some great videos. I met a lot of those guys coordinating an air show at Barber's Point (showing my age there) when I was on CVW-14 staff.

Guy flying the demo did a good job as a stick...helps to have a new ride that can handle it, too.

gallery_28_6_702.jpg