• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to Jan board 2013

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
Not really, GPA at time of board was a 2.8 in Aviation Business Administration form Embry-Riddle. Im currently taking 4 classes to finish my degree, all A's. Hopefully it helps get it over a 3.0. I may take a few more classes once these finish to boost GPA.

Ok. Well my advice would be to focus on those two things. Some others on here might more advice but thats my .02.

Buffy

Ok. Well my advice would be to focus on those two things. Some others on here might more advice but thats my .02.
Yes, I agree. I'm focusing a lot of my time and energy right now into the ASTB re-take. Any grades for new classes I start now (for a GPA boost) wont be seen by the 04 March board, but i'm taking them anyways if i have to go to the July NFO board. I also think my CO recommendation was a little weak. My CO wanted to hand write it and it didnt really reflect my leadership ability and accomplishments, in my opinion. My next one will be written by me. Anyone have thoughts on this????

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I was a non-select for this last Pilot/NFO board (Dec. 3rd). Anyone else working on a reconsideration package and can shed some light on the process (i.e. reconsideration letter, what to change, etc...) Im retaking my ASTB after the holidays (went to board with a 5/6/6/47) . Should I get more LOR's (only had one from a 0-5 pilot).

So I've been collecting data on this board, thanks for sharing your stats. NavyOffRec says he thinks there were a few SNA selects with 6s on their PFAR, but everyone I've seen on here at at least a 7. There were some SNFO selects with test scores like yours, but they had higher AORs and GPAs. Make sure you check out the ASTB forum on here and get all the good gouge, and avoid the Barron's book. I regret not going on there and just using that crappy book.

I'm thinking about starting a separate thread where stats from different boards can be posted so that we have an idea of what scores look good depending on the selectivity of said board. This one was supposedly a bit less selective than usual.

nombrescreeno

I was a non-select for this last Pilot/NFO board (Dec. 3rd). Anyone else working on a reconsideration package and can shed some light on the process (i.e. reconsideration letter, what to change, etc...) Im retaking my ASTB after the holidays (went to board with a 5/6/6/47) . Should I get more LOR's (only had one from a 0-5 pilot).

Focus on the ASTB and GPA for sure... those who had sub 3.0 GPAs also generally had very good ASTB's (as 7+'s)

I think it was NavyOffRec who said it but LORs from officers aren't important if you didn't work for them (i.e. they don't really know you all that well in a working/academic environment). It seems like a lot of people go trying to get a bunch of LORs from highly ranked people but those they didn't work for or really closely know aren't all that useful

Buffy

Focus on the ASTB and GPA for sure... those who had sub 3.0 GPAs also generally had very good ASTB's (as 7+'s)

I think it was NavyOffRec who said it but LORs from officers aren't important if you didn't work for them (i.e. they don't really know you all that well in a working/academic environment). It seems like a lot of people go trying to get a bunch of LORs from highly ranked people but those they didn't work for or really closely know aren't all that useful
Yes, I agree. The only LOR I had for this last board was from a O-5 pilot who was on my crew and he was my Department Head for two years. Im getting another LOR from an O-5 NFO who was on my crew as well, for the March board. Not sure how much it will help, but I think it's better than nothing.

Whats wrong with the Barorns book? (smiling as I slide my Barrons book off the table into trash can). Hahahah

Anybody have a link to the ASTB thread with the PDF gouge? I have bits a pieces of it, but i thought someone put it altogether on a PDF, I could be wrong though.

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
Yes, I agree. The only LOR I had for this last board was from a O-5 pilot who was on my crew and he was my Department Head for two years. Im getting another LOR from an O-5 NFO who was on my crew as well, for the March board. Not sure how much it will help, but I think it's better than nothing.

Whats wrong with the Barorns book? (smiling as I slide my Barrons book off the table into trash can). Hahahah

Anybody have a link to the ASTB thread with the PDF gouge? I have bits a pieces of it, but i thought someone put it altogether on a PDF, I could be wrong though.

Another book if you have some time would be any private pilot books or the FAR/AIM.

nombrescreeno

Ah, I didn't realize you're currently in. In that case, yes getting LORs from them would help and I believe interviews are required as well? Those will definitely help as does your service record

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
Yes, I agree. I'm focusing a lot of my time and energy right now into the ASTB re-take. Any grades for new classes I start now (for a GPA boost) wont be seen by the 04 March board, but i'm taking them anyways if i have to go to the July NFO board. I also think my CO recommendation was a little weak. My CO wanted to hand write it and it didnt really reflect my leadership ability and accomplishments, in my opinion. My next one will be written by me. Anyone have thoughts on this????
Buffy, What is your rate and time in service?

zianac

Extra awesome
None

I'm not completely positive, but if you're in/have been in the military they also look through your evals. My scores were pretty comparable to yours, and I was selected this time around. I had some very solid LOR's from former employers and a lot of extra curricular activities when I was in college.

As far as getting selected, if you've gone through many of the threads on here, you'll see that some of the AD applicants get selected after multiple attempts. I think one thread said he applied 6 times before being selected. Just keep on applying! Persistence is key. Good luck!

44magnum

Non-select! applied SWO only.

GM1 (SW/EXW) 6 yrs active, 2 yrs reserve.
59 OAR
3.5 GPA, BA in History
All EP and MP evals, LPO experience
Great LORs from pilot 0-4 (current CO), college professor, GS-11 DOD contractor
Interviews w/ all 10s from SWO 0-5 (former CO) and intel 0-3.
Tons of collaterals and quals.

I'm astonished. I guess I'll go to grad school for now, and apply next board with some 0-6 LORs this time.

drummehr

Pro Rec SNA NFO Dec 2012
It's only been a couple days since the results came out but I was curious if anyone knew the rate at which flight physicals and background checks were processed? My background check is in process right now and will be getting my flight physical the 19th of December. Is that enough time to get into the Jan. 27th OCS class or should I plan on a longer wait? Thanks in advance!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also think my CO recommendation was a little weak. My CO wanted to hand write it and it didnt really reflect my leadership ability and accomplishments, in my opinion. My next one will be written by me. Anyone have thoughts on this????
Yes, did your CO request you to rewrite his LOR? If not, he well may have other 'thoughts' on this!:oops:
BzB

Non-select! applied SWO only.

GM1 (SW/EXW) 6 yrs active, 2 yrs reserve.
59 OAR
3.5 GPA, BA in History
All EP and MP evals, LPO experience
Great LORs from pilot 0-4 (current CO), college professor, GS-11 DOD contractor
Interviews w/ all 10s from SWO 0-5 (former CO) and intel 0-3.
Tons of collaterals and quals.

I'm astonished. I guess I'll go to grad school for now, and apply next board with some 0-6 LORs this time.

Sorry to hear that. I'm pretty surprised given your stats too... This is going to sound silly, but could age have been a factor? I saw another prior on NavyOCS who applied SWO only and got turned down, and the only reason I could think of was that he was on the "older" side of the applicant pool. Regardless, good luck with grad school and on your next attempt! All of my ORs told me grad school looks really good if you're successful with it.

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
It's only been a couple days since the results came out but I was curious if anyone knew the rate at which flight physicals and background checks were processed? My background check is in process right now and will be getting my flight physical the 19th of December. Is that enough time to get into the Jan. 27th OCS class or should I plan on a longer wait? Thanks in advance!

You mean MEPS... for flight physical? Otherwise you got me worried.

44magnum

Nope, I'm only 27, and I've never been in trouble either. I admitted to smoking the devil's lettuce 5 times before joining the Navy, maybe that was it. Or maybe my application really did just never make it to the board.