• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese sub surprises Navy

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought diesel subs were really loud if the weren't running on electric power. And if they were running on electric power how did they catch an aircraft carrier seeing as they are ridiculously slow underwater on electric.

The mysteries of submarines.

On a separate note, I think this whole thing happened last year, and I am not sure why the press has resurrected it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I thought diesel subs were really loud if the weren't running on electric power. And if they were running on electric power how did they catch an aircraft carrier seeing as they are ridiculously slow underwater on electric.

You've got some bad/old info. A diesel sub in the right hands can be lethal. Big time.

Who said they had to catch an aircraft carrier?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Patrick Robinson's novel titled "Nimitz Class" is a chillingly realistic portrayal of just how deadly an SSK (diesel powered attack sub) in the wrong hands can be.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Patrick Robinson's novel titled "Nimitz Class" is a chillingly realistic portrayal of just how deadly an SSK (diesel powered attack sub) in the wrong hands can be.
Is it as hard hitting as Down Periscope?
downPeriscope.gif

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

The amount of UNREPs we do, all over the world, you'd only have to have an Iranian P-3 fly over to figure when we were doing it and then, you've got so much noise in the water (and slowed ships) that you could roll over the horizon with a john deere and we wouldn't care...I'm with the BFD over this thing.

~D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, yes, that august body of military journalism, the Daily Mail. Nothing the PLAN has done with their subs lately has surprised anyone who's been paying attention. As to our own ASW/USW skillz, well, that's another discussion and several classifications above this forum.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Is it as hard hitting as Down Periscope?
downPeriscope.gif

That masterpiece is far and away more dramatic and realistic than any book or movie about the navy has ever been. Ever. I would follow Tom Dodge to hell and back... :D:D

"LT.. you're almost out of uniform..."

F*cking classic.

BourneID

pilot
bfd. USW today is a joke and until CSG CO's and staffs give a crap, it's going to keep happening.
Zulu is the step-child warfare commander, HS birds don't even carry their domes in some theaters. As for VP, buoy allocations are shit. So this shouldn't come as a surprise. Anybody who has truly flapped on a out of area deployer is likely too old to be on a regular rotation crew or retired.
The Gotland has kicked the shit out of every CSG going on WestPac during JTFEX's. Now, we're getting a Peruvian 209 to train with, louder than shit but I'm betting it'll still do well.

End Rant.
BT
NNNN

Hozer is spot on. If anyone else wants moreof my rant, you need to find a way to hear about it via a different means of communication.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
bfd. USW today is a joke and until CSG CO's and staffs give a crap, it's going to keep happening.
Zulu is the step-child warfare commander, HS birds don't even carry their domes in some theaters. As for VP, buoy allocations are shit. So this shouldn't come as a surprise. Anybody who has truly flapped on a out of area deployer is likely too old to be on a regular rotation crew or retired.
The Gotland has kicked the shit out of every CSG going on WestPac during JTFEX's. Now, we're getting a Peruvian 209 to train with, louder than shit but I'm betting it'll still do well.

End Rant.
BT
NNNN

Seventh Fleet and CTF-70 spend a lot of time training for ASW. HS-14 has extra Foxtrots for the increased ASW. There are constant ASW exercises with both American and foreign subs. BTW I think this story was about an incident that happened a year ago and was in the press then.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Seventh Fleet and CTF-70 spend a lot of time training for ASW. HS-14 has extra Foxtrots for the increased ASW. There are constant ASW exercises with both American and foreign subs. BTW I think this story was about an incident that happened a year ago and was in the press then.
What about CTF72 and CTF74? :D

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor

Since I'm a hinge and have to dispense the kool-aid, I'll commend you for an excellent "company line". Hell, that should be a great PAO-esque rebuttal.

"Training for ASW" = boats on a rail with re-gen points on pre-determined routes with little to no free-play. I always think it interesting how crews go out on an ASW "mission" with only a dozen VLADS and manage miraculously to search, track, and conduct sim attacks.
When it's free play, we get smoked.
Exercises and pretty numbers showing the Commodore all this groovy contact time is great, getting the qual so your crews (most of which are ASW tards) can get their readiness up in hurry so they can get back to the overland business is great too.
So, as long as we have re-gen points for the ChiComs, we're good to go I guess. Fight like you train eh?
Just don't sell me my kool-aid back to me.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
BTW I think this story was about an incident that happened a year ago and was in the press then.

I agree... I did a Google news search, and the story only pops up a couple times on less than reputable news agencies. Also, if you read the articles from last year and the new ones, the details are almost exactly the same.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since I'm a hinge and have to dispense the kool-aid, I'll commend you for an excellent "company line". Hell, that should be a great PAO-esque rebuttal.

"Training for ASW" = boats on a rail with re-gen points on pre-determined routes with little to no free-play. I always think it interesting how crews go out on an ASW "mission" with only a dozen VLADS and manage miraculously to search, track, and conduct sim attacks.
When it's free play, we get smoked.
Exercises and pretty numbers showing the Commodore all this groovy contact time is great, getting the qual so your crews (most of which are ASW tards) can get their readiness up in hurry so they can get back to the overland business is great too.
So, as long as we have re-gen points for the ChiComs, we're good to go I guess. Fight like you train eh?
Just don't sell me my kool-aid back to me.

I agree that we could be much better at ASW, but WESTPAC ASW is much different than what I've heard guys talk about happens on the east coast (yourself included in the above posts). Yes, we need more allocation, yes, we need more practice, but there's a lot of ops in 7th fleet that are conducted, often times w/out the other team knowing (or at least w/out the intent of them knowing). Do "they" get away from us? Sure, see above, but ASW (oops, you said Kool-Aide...USW) is a high(er) priority in the Pacific than the standard "let's all go to the desert..." mantra of CONUS commands.