• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
I am a fan of treating this as the real deal. Either have people distance or give them the PPE to do their job without getting sick. Even if you don't kill people, you can lose a pile of folks due to being unable to work, and be forced to shut down an industry. Midway Control Tower, anyone?

Somewhere in between "It's a big deal - lock it all down" and "it's no big deal - open it all up" is "It's a big deal - but we have to open it up". That's where I'm at.
Losing a couple shifts at MDW tower pales in comparison to a second Great Depression. That was big news at the time. Now it’s pretty small potatoes. It’s all relative.

I agree with @FrankTheTank . I feel like your opinion has changed over time on this, which is of course perfectly acceptable.

That being said, one of the things that interest me on here is watching people seem to come around on this. I asked one guy who resigned post-DH to go to the airlines what changed his mind but I’m pretty sure he has me on ignore since I’ve gotten no answer. I would’ve figured him to be screaming to the high heavens to end the lockdowns and get back to work but there are lots of people whose views have surprised me. Like I’ve posted here several times, a lot of us here are in the white-collar “we can work from home” jobs or still in the military and guaranteed a paycheck demographic. It seems to me that a significant portion of us whose livelihoods are dependent on the travel industry seem to be advocating in a different direction (with the exception of two outliers). Is this the only factor? No. But I think it certainly informs our thought processes.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
Don’t fuck with the narrative comrade. . .
From the article "The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has reclassified three deaths...that had tested positive for COVID19..."

The gold standard is going to be historical numbers of deaths versus actuals for this year for the same time period. It is going to show we way under-counted, my prediction.

SlickAg

pilot
From the article "The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has reclassified three deaths...that had tested positive for COVID19..."

The gold standard is going to be historical numbers of deaths versus actuals for this year for the same time period. It is going to show we way under-counted, my prediction.
Three out of seven deaths. Or in other words...42%.

It’s not a big deal if this is an isolated incident.

If you think this is an isolated incident I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn that’s for sale if you’re interested...

SlickAg

pilot

How are the flu deaths and ILIs doing so far this year?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
We’ve had discussions in here about classifications of CIVID deaths possibly being inflated. Some in here don’t believe it. But consider this: for every COVID patient a hospital takes in and treats, the hospital receives $13,000. For every COVID patient that ends up on a ventilator, the hospital receives $39,000. Would it not be in the best interest of the hospital to liberally classify patients as COVID patients to get more funding? Do you really think that hospitals aren’t pressuring doctors to classify as many treatments and deaths as COVID related? Especially in a time when hospitals are going bankrupt and laying off employees because they are losing so much revenue by not performing elective surgeries? If you don’t think hospitals are watching out for their own bottom line, you’re naive.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
How are the flu deaths and ILIs doing so far this year?
Globally, in the last flu sweep (17/18) over 650,000 people died. We are at about 230,000 thus far in this one. According to WHO, the average flu season knocks off about 200,000 to 500,000 people globally each year. Another interesting stat...there have been over 19 million deaths this year alone from other causes.

Looks like we were meant to last for ever.

SlickAg

pilot
We’ve had discussions in here about classifications of CIVID deaths possibly being inflated. Some in here don’t believe it. But consider this: for every COVID patient a hospital takes in and treats, the hospital receives $13,000. For every COVID patient that ends up on a ventilator, the hospital receives $39,000. Would it not be in the best interest of the hospital to liberally classify patients as COVID patients to get more funding? Do you really think that hospitals aren’t pressuring doctors to classify as many treatments and deaths as COVID related? Especially in a time when hospitals are going bankrupt and laying off employees because they are losing so much revenue by not performing elective surgeries? If you don’t think hospitals are watching out for their own bottom line, you’re naive.

No no no. The article I posted only talked about THREE deaths in what is BOUND to be an isolated incident. Hospitals wouldn’t do something like this. They’re NOT failing and NOT at risk of going out of business.

SlickAg

pilot
Way back when, lots of talk on here about how advanced and sophisticated Italy’s healthcare system was, and how if they were screwed then we were TRIPLY screwed because we were just so far behind them in everything.

I wonder if that narrative will stand the test of time?