• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

RJS

Just reading through your question @TheClyde and your response @Rudy.30, its possible to start drilling before completion of ODS? This may be an assumption on my part but, have you already completed ODS @TheClyde? If so, don't worry about my questions. If not, what has your experience been with getting uniforms, CAC, and attending your drill weekends?

I have not been selected. Just curious about everything. The board convened last Friday, 16 June. I'm not sure if everyone knew that the board was pushed to the left by almost 3 weeks (from 31 May to 2 May and convene date from 11 July to 16 June). Just waiting......

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Thanks @Rudy.30
What are you typically doing with the unit during drill weekend (beyond any general Navy admin stuff), particularly since as I understand it you don't hold a billet.
Rudy is correct, duties each DWE will depend on what unit you’re attached to. I was with a DLA unit during BQC, I had some collateral duties like Urinalysis Coordinator and A-CFL. Your primary duty is BQC and if your unit is assigning you actual work you need to speak to the school house and they will speak to your leadership and square that away.

@Rudy.30 what NCHB are you with? I’m at Regiment.

Rudy.30

Just reading through your question @TheClyde and your response @Rudy.30, its possible to start drilling before completion of ODS? This may be an assumption on my part but, have you already completed ODS @TheClyde? If so, don't worry about my questions. If not, what has your experience been with getting uniforms, CAC, and attending your drill weekends?

I have not been selected. Just curious about everything. The board convened last Friday, 16 June. I'm not sure if everyone knew that the board was pushed to the left by almost 3 weeks (from 31 May to 2 May and convene date from 11 July to 16 June). Just waiting......

You will start drilling at the NRC (Navy Reserve Center) once you commission and get gained by that NRC, which could take a couple of months.. The NRC's training department will be the ones who get you a seat at ODS and build your orders so you have to start drilling before ODS.

I would recommend after commissioning getting a CAC card and some uniforms (Type 3's). However if you can't it will be fine. I did not get my CAC until the first DWE. Once you get 16 drill periods, or 4 weekends, you can request a $400 uniform allowance to help offset some of the uniform expense. Don't forget about this! Once you have been selected shoot me a PM and we can have a call and I can give you more details.

Rudy is correct, duties each DWE will depend on what unit you’re attached to. I was with a DLA unit during BQC, I had some collateral duties like Urinalysis Coordinator and A-CFL. Your primary duty is BQC and if your unit is assigning you actual work you need to speak to the school house and they will speak to your leadership and square that away.

@Rudy.30 what NCHB are you with? I’m at Regiment.
I am with NCHB13.

Rudy.30

Makes sense. Just had my first drill weekend last month, not sure what unit I'll be with.
If you are drilling you are assigned somewhere, possibly an OSU unit which is a catch all.

Do you have a Supply DCO Manager? If so ask them where the closest Supply unit is and start drilling with them.

TheClyde

Everything @Rudy.30 mentioned is accurate. I will add that I received an email with details for first drill weekend, the uniform of the day with the caveat to just wear professional attire if I didn't have a uniform yet (which I didn't) and a number to call upon arrival to be shuttled onto base since I didn't have a CAC.
As a non-prior DCO I think we do fall a bit into no-man's land, we're pretty much the only people who show up at a NOSC never having gone through RTC/OCS/ODS and thus don't have any of the basic military guidance that comes with those (and are a very small fraction of the overall population). I sort of assumed I'd show up and they'd tell me ok new guy, do this this and this, kind of the way they will do at ODS. But it turned out to be more like, ok everyone else is dressed differently, I need a uniform, let me ask for some guidance on that, I need an email address, who do I go to for that. The good thing is that everyone seemed friendly and willing to help.
I think we're supposed to be assigned a sponsor who provides some guidance on that, but at least for me yet that has not occurred.

RJS

You will start drilling at the NRC (Navy Reserve Center) once you commission and get gained by that NRC, which could take a couple of months.. The NRC's training department will be the ones who get you a seat at ODS and build your orders so you have to start drilling before ODS.

I would recommend after commissioning getting a CAC card and some uniforms (Type 3's). However if you can't it will be fine. I did not get my CAC until the first DWE. Once you get 16 drill periods, or 4 weekends, you can request a $400 uniform allowance to help offset some of the uniform expense. Don't forget about this! Once you have been selected shoot me a PM and we can have a call and I can give you more details.

I am with NCHB13.
@Rudy.30 thanks for explaining that and thanks for speaking that "Selection" into existence. Lol. I hope to get some great news and report it here. It's been a long journey. I don't think I'll have an issue getting a CAC or uniforms. I am dual federal and military dependent. Though it will be a different experience, I am all too familiar with the Navy experience. My wife is due to retire next October. Good to know about the uniform allowance and will definitely reach out to you if selected. Thanks.

Everything @Rudy.30 mentioned is accurate. I will add that I received an email with details for first drill weekend, the uniform of the day with the caveat to just wear professional attire if I didn't have a uniform yet (which I didn't) and a number to call upon arrival to be shuttled onto base since I didn't have a CAC.
As a non-prior DCO I think we do fall a bit into no-man's land, we're pretty much the only people who show up at a NOSC never having gone through RTC/OCS/ODS and thus don't have any of the basic military guidance that comes with those (and are a very small fraction of the overall population). I sort of assumed I'd show up and they'd tell me ok new guy, do this this and this, kind of the way they will do at ODS. But it turned out to be more like, ok everyone else is dressed differently, I need a uniform, let me ask for some guidance on that, I need an email address, who do I go to for that. The good thing is that everyone seemed friendly and willing to help.
I think we're supposed to be assigned a sponsor who provides some guidance on that, but at least for me yet that has not occurred.
That's what was so surprising to me @TheClyde. I've been reading through this forum for the last year and have never come across posts stating that selectees would/could drill before attending ODS. If I'm being honest, I find it amazing that its even possible. Even the bit about the NRC's training department finding you a seat. Thankfully, I have a ton of close friends (both officer and enlisted) and a wife (E-7) who can help me in preparation to those requirements (I hope). I kind of feel that my wife is a bit tapped out with the Navy at this point. However, I think she'll help me a little bit. I also work with a guy who's currently serving in the Navy Reserves as a Supply Officer. Not DCO though. Was active last year and transitioned to reserves.

I appreciate the responses.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
That's what was so surprising to me @TheClyde. I've been reading through this forum for the last year and have never come across posts stating that selectees would/could drill before attending ODS. If I'm being honest, I find it amazing that its even possible. Even the bit about the NRC's training department finding you a seat. Thankfully, I have a ton of close friends (both officer and enlisted) and a wife (E-7) who can help me in preparation to those requirements (I hope). I kind of feel that my wife is a bit tapped out with the Navy at this point. However, I think she'll help me a little bit. I also work with a guy who's currently serving in the Navy Reserves as a Supply Officer. Not DCO though. Was active last year and transitioned to reserves.
I had my first DWE a couple of weeks ago (though I'm not a SUPPO) despite not having a date for ODS yet - it's a weird feeling for sure.

Let me know if I can help you in any way as a lot of the stuff for new non-priors (getting a CAC, etc.) is still very fresh in my mind.

RJS

Cool,
I thought we would not know until late July or August. Congratulations. Hope I get a call..
I’m not exactly sure how things will go. Receiving a call, 12 days after board convening, seems rather quick. I would like to further get a understanding of the process. When I received the call, and my OR gave the good news, that’s all I could I focus on. Sigh…I do remember hearing that I would be transferred over from him where the process would start and that I should commission by October. We’ll see.

Lemwolf

Ok, congrats again, that was quick but truly it should not take that long to select candidates anyway. I just ranked up again on the enlisted side, I found out June 3rd, I havent got frocked or paid for it yet. This is my second time going up to the Supply board. I put alot into the package, just hope I made it, I havent gotten a call yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

exNavyOffRec

SELECTED. 40 out of 94 applicants. I am BEYOND exited about this everyone. 10 years later. I had to tell tears to get back in there. Wooooo!
Those numbers make me wonder if they are going back to a once per year board for DCO, that is about an entire FY's selection number.