• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment related questions

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...Philippines and Australia.
I have problems with chicks...they don’t dig me. In the Philippines and Australia [and Hong Kong and Singapore and Seychelles and blah, blah, blah] some chicks pretended to dig me...

WINNER!

WINNER!

CHICKEN!

DINNER!

My point is...if chicks don’t dig you, you may encounter some chicks in other countries that may pretend to dig you...and that’s OK. ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
get orders to NPS (I'm not sure how PERS-43 sees that career wise)
Edit: Don't TPS bubbas get a Masters there if they don't have one? Or am I misremembering? Don't really feel like looking it up on a weekend.

If it's just by itself as a shore tour, it generally leads them to ask you "what career?" Only aviator I know who got orders to NPS got them basically as a good-deal offramp. Well-liked personally, but crashed and burned hard in DH tour.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I have problems with chicks...they don’t dig me. In the Philippines and Australia [and Hong Kong and Singapore and Seychelles and blah, blah, blah] some chicks pretended to dig me...

WINNER!

WINNER!

CHICKEN!

DINNER!

My point is...if chicks don’t dig you, you may encounter some chicks in other countries that may pretend to dig you...and that’s OK. ?
That is if some of those chicks were actually chicks. Always do a package check in the Far East.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Edit: Don't TPS bubbas get a Masters there if they don't have one? Or am I misremembering? Don't really feel like looking it up on a weekend.

If it's just by itself as a shore tour, it generally leads them to ask you "what career?" Only aviator I know who got orders to NPS got them basically as a good-deal offramp. Well-liked personally, but crashed and burned hard in DH tour.

I believe they do. It's through distance learning at NPS. I'm not quite sure how it works, but if you don't already have a Masters, you can end your time at TPS with an MS in Systems Engineering from NPS. If you really care, I can ask some of my professors who teach the courses for it.

Also, one of the research assistants/engineers in the department is a former 60 driver who spent his shore tour at NPS and it killed his career. He told me he knew it would but wasn't happy with continuing his career in the cockpit for whatever reason. He's now a 1315 trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.

exNavyOffRec

Back in the day it was drunken whoring debauchery.

Then tail hook happened. Then political correction became the thing.
The last deployment I made in 2008 things could still get wild if you made wrong choices, in Thailand we had a few locals offer us drugs, women, or guns. In the middle east it was russian women.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The last deployment I made in 2008 things could still get wild if you made wrong choices, in Thailand we had a few locals offer us drugs, women, or guns. In the middle east it was russian women.
The locals in the Middle East were offering you Russian women, or Russian women in the Middle East were offering you drugs, women, and guns? One of these is just sketchy, the other sounds like the start to a side quest in a video game. ?

"He threatened to kill me in public!"
"Why would he want to kill you in public?"
"I think she meant he threatened, in public, to kill her."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I am looking at either pursuing the NFO or Pilot route. I have been pretty torn between going into the Marines or the Navy. I was curious what a typical day is like on a carrier for a pilot or NFO? I was curious NFOs get the same mandatory sleep that pilots do, additionally I was curious if either pilots or NFOs had free time? I was going to look to further my education going either the TA or NCPACE route while deployed on a carrier, is this feasible? Additionally I saw some ships had BJJ meetups which I would also pursue, again I am curious about what daily schedules look like, and if you have free time?

Responding to you but here's general good advice for anyone going into Naval Aviation:

1. When you get your wings (pilot or NFO), they basically mean "you are now tall enough to ride the grey aircraft." You will spend the time at the FRS and in your fleet tour continuing to earn quals. I expect to earn new and requal on old quals in my Department Head tour. My CO earned new quals on his CO tour as we got new weaponry since the last time he flew. In short, flight school never ends.

2. As a result, you will be too busy between flying, ground job(s), earning qualifications, working out, eating, and sleeping, not to mention any family time you can squeeze in on your sea orders to do outside education.

3. Currently, Naval Aviation, (and I assume USMC Aviation) is not well set up for meaningful Master's programs for most people. There are exceptions, but in general, people will do some sort of education on their shore tour - I used TA for a Master's Certificate since it barely puts a dent in a real Master's programs (at the time is was about a $4500 annual limit, I doubt much has changed). It cannot be used to earn an educational level you already have so you can't pursue another Bachelor's. Some folks used their GI Bill, but I, and most others, still owed time to get the full benefit and I wasn't willing to use up my GI Bill without getting the full benefit on a distance learning degree. Others pursued Joint Professional Military Education, which is worthless outside of the DoD.

4. Yes, pilots and NFOs have the same sleep requirements and rules. There will be (seldom) times you are asked to stretch how meaningful those rules really are.

5. Been stated already, but don't assume you will participate in NCPACE. I did a 10 month deployment, at best, my Sailors got a few Gen-Ed credits for an Associates Degree (English, History, maybe a math class).

6. Where did you see some ships have BJJ classes? I've seen that but surprised that you have - each ship will have some series of clubs - the ship I am currently on is chock full of clubs: Yoga, BJJ, various heritage-based clubs. computer club, etc. On Aircraft Carriers, you'll have a "Fit Boss," which is an MWR employee that's a personal trainer that spends his/her day mostly leading fitness classes. Again, don't plan your career around a twice-a-week club you might be able to do when your schedule permits.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

The locals in the Middle East were offering you Russian women, or Russian women in the Middle East were offering you drugs, women, and guns? One of these is just sketchy, the other sounds like the start to a side quest in a video game. ?

"He threatened to kill me in public!"
"Why would he want to kill you in public?"
"I think she meant he threatened, in public, to kill her."

It kind of does, and these are stories you don't talk about to applicants when you are on recruiting duty, well that is if you desire to stay on recruiting duty.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
just wondering why you think it is silly?

BJJ is a sport and relies upon rules of conduct to prevent injury to the competitors. Most VBSS missions do not have those rules. Things have the potential to get squirrely very quickly and the dude you're trying to restrain often wants to kill you or do serious bodily harm. This means that you need to neutralize him as quickly as possible. This means that you will often need to throw many of those gentlemanly competition rules out the window, e.g. raking across the face, gouging eyes, striking, breaking limbs, etc. By directly borrowing BJJ rules and techniques, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage mentally.

Also, BJJ is a ground-based combat sport. It teaches fighters to go to the ground and fight there. That's great when the other guy isn't trying to kill you or he doesn't have friends and you have a nice big mat to sprawl out on. In the tight confines of a ship, with multiple combatants, and in a potentially deadly struggle, the absolute last place you want to be is on the ground. Being on the ground means you enemy's buddies can come over and kick you in the head which is game over for you.

If the Navy were really serious about training and utilizing their shipboard surface VBSS teams (which I contend they are not), they would have borrowed practices from more traditional Jujutsu, Judo, or other Asian martial arts (my background is in traditional East Asian arts so maybe there are other options I'm not aware of) which focus more on standing techniques and teach the practitioner to remain standing and in control of the fight. I literally had my sensei tell me in college that if you end up on the ground in a street fight you're as good as dead and need to treat it as if you were fighting for your life. I also think we need to train our VBSS Sailors to be more comfortable using force as knowing how to properly throw someone or even break bones may be necessary to stop a Somalian pirate who's hopped up on khat and is trying to steal this ship just so his family has food and will kill you if need be. We also do a terrible job of training our Sailors to handle armed opponents as we give them a very rudimentary crash course in very basic chokeholds and arm bars and then send them out into the world to do great things.

I will step down from my soap box now.

nodropinufaka

BJJ is a sport and relies upon rules of conduct to prevent injury to the competitors. Most VBSS missions do not have those rules. Things have the potential to get squirrely very quickly and the dude you're trying to restrain often wants to kill you or do serious bodily harm. This means that you need to neutralize him as quickly as possible. This means that you will often need to throw many of those gentlemanly competition rules out the window, e.g. raking across the face, gouging eyes, striking, breaking limbs, etc. By directly borrowing BJJ rules and techniques, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage mentally.

Also, BJJ is a ground-based combat sport. It teaches fighters to go to the ground and fight there. That's great when the other guy isn't trying to kill you or he doesn't have friends and you have a nice big mat to sprawl out on. In the tight confines of a ship, with multiple combatants, and in a potentially deadly struggle, the absolute last place you want to be is on the ground. Being on the ground means you enemy's buddies can come over and kick you in the head which is game over for you.

If the Navy were really serious about training and utilizing their shipboard surface VBSS teams (which I contend they are not), they would have borrowed practices from more traditional Jujutsu, Judo, or other Asian martial arts (my background is in traditional East Asian arts so maybe there are other options I'm not aware of) which focus more on standing techniques and teach the practitioner to remain standing and in control of the fight. I literally had my sensei tell me in college that if you end up on the ground in a street fight you're as good as dead and need to treat it as if you were fighting for your life. I also think we need to train our VBSS Sailors to be more comfortable using force as knowing how to properly throw someone or even break bones may be necessary to stop a Somalian pirate who's hopped up on khat and is trying to steal this ship just so his family has food and will kill you if need be. We also do a terrible job of training our Sailors to handle armed opponents as we give them a very rudimentary crash course in very basic chokeholds and arm bars and then send them out into the world to do great things.

I will step down from my soap box now.

I agree on the sport BJJ. It is heavily focused on point scoring and control. And don’t get me started on the GI and how unrealistic it is.

but there is a self defense element of BJJ that i think is valuable.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
but there is a self defense element of BJJ that i think is valuable.

Perhaps, but it's not the tool to use here. At least not when there are other, better tools that also have self defense elements. Any external martial art will teach self defense. We aren't teaching self defense here. We're teaching Sailors how to quickly and effectively take down an adversary while still maintaining control of himself and the ability to quickly and effectively draw and use his M4 or M9 in a room or passageway on a ship. That requires staying on your feet while you put the other guy on the ground.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
BJJ is a sport and relies upon rules of conduct to prevent injury to the competitors. Most VBSS missions do not have those rules. Things have the potential to get squirrely very quickly and the dude you're trying to restrain often wants to kill you or do serious bodily harm. This means that you need to neutralize him as quickly as possible. This means that you will often need to throw many of those gentlemanly competition rules out the window,