• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment related questions

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Edit: Don't TPS bubbas get a Masters there if they don't have one? Or am I misremembering? Don't really feel like looking it up on a weekend.

If it's just by itself as a shore tour, it generally leads them to ask you "what career?" Only aviator I know who got orders to NPS got them basically as a good-deal offramp. Well-liked personally, but crashed and burned hard in DH tour.
I believe they do. It's through distance learning at NPS. I'm not quite sure how it works, but if you don't already have a Masters, you can end your time at TPS with an MS in Systems Engineering from NPS. If you really care, I can ask some of my professors who teach the courses for it.

Also, one of the research assistants/engineers in the department is a former 60 driver who spent his shore tour at NPS and it killed his career. He told me he knew it would but wasn't happy with continuing his career in the cockpit for whatever reason. He's now a 1315 trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.

No masters at USNTPS graduation, but there are several MS distance learning programs that a graduate can do to obtain one (NPS is a popular option). Most do so if they didn't already have an MS before going.

USAFTPS awards an MS in Flight Test Engineering at their graduation.

Back to the thread, port calls? WHAT port calls?? Wish I was kidding....

taxi1

pilot
If you eat the wrong food in port and you fly E2s, you’ll make sure you only do single cycles for a week or so.

RoarkJr.

BJJ is a sport and relies upon rules of conduct to prevent injury to the competitors. Most VBSS missions do not have those rules. Things have the potential to get squirrely very quickly and the dude you're trying to restrain often wants to kill you or do serious bodily harm. This means that you need to neutralize him as quickly as possible. This means that you will often need to throw many of those gentlemanly competition rules out the window, e.g. raking across the face, gouging eyes, striking, breaking limbs, etc. By directly borrowing BJJ rules and techniques, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage mentally.

Also, BJJ is a ground-based combat sport. It teaches fighters to go to the ground and fight there. That's great when the other guy isn't trying to kill you or he doesn't have friends and you have a nice big mat to sprawl out on. In the tight confines of a ship, with multiple combatants, and in a potentially deadly struggle, the absolute last place you want to be is on the ground. Being on the ground means you enemy's buddies can come over and kick you in the head which is game over for you.

If the Navy were really serious about training and utilizing their shipboard surface VBSS teams (which I contend they are not), they would have borrowed practices from more traditional Jujutsu, Judo, or other Asian martial arts (my background is in traditional East Asian arts so maybe there are other options I'm not aware of) which focus more on standing techniques and teach the practitioner to remain standing and in control of the fight. I literally had my sensei tell me in college that if you end up on the ground in a street fight you're as good as dead and need to treat it as if you were fighting for your life. I also think we need to train our VBSS Sailors to be more comfortable using force as knowing how to properly throw someone or even break bones may be necessary to stop a Somalian pirate who's hopped up on khat and is trying to steal this ship just so his family has food and will kill you if need be. We also do a terrible job of training our Sailors to handle armed opponents as we give them a very rudimentary crash course in very basic chokeholds and arm bars and then send them out into the world to do great things.

I will step down from my soap box now.

I mostly agree but I think you're underestimating the overall utility of sport/gi BJJ.

If you practice sport BJJ you can train/spar at levels up to and at 100% more consistently and with drastically reduced levels of injury than you can other arts. In addition you are all but completely ensuring domination in any ground fight. The athleticism, lethality, and overall physical literacy developed from training sport BJJ is worth a lot. The disparity between an untrained person and a person training for just a few months is probably insurmountable, if they were to fight each other that is.

Granted, the concern about going to the ground in certain situations is justified but thinking that training BJJ will giving you a training scar in that area is probably an overreaction. That said I don't see the point of doing self-defense BJJ as you're foregoing the benefits of sport BJJ only for a negligible gain (if there's much of one at all) in real-world scenarios.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are the injury rates one might be subjected to when practicing BJJ?

nodropinufaka

What are the injury rates one might be subjected to when practicing BJJ?

depends on the school.

Majority of schools don’t allow leg locks, ankle locks, or knee bars on beginners. That’s usually only allowed for advanced. There is an EXTREMELY high risk of tearing something in those.

But for a school or some people grappling? Not very high as long as they don’t do neck cranks or small joint manipulation.

The trouble can be when people download or learn off the internet and do it without any formal training. That can lead to a lot of injuries.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you eat the wrong food in port and you fly E2s, you’ll make sure you only do single cycles for a week or so.
Or you bring norovirus onboard and wreck the entire boat.

Pags

N/A
pilot
No masters at USNTPS graduation, but there are several MS distance learning programs that a graduate can do to obtain one (NPS is a popular option). Most do so if they didn't already have an MS before going.

USAFTPS awards an MS in Flight Test Engineering at their graduation.

Back to the thread, port calls? WHAT port calls?? Wish I was kidding....
There used to be an MS Co-Op program for TPS selectees. They went to NPS (or AFIT later), did 1yr of master's classes, and then went to TPS. They were awarded a MS after TPS graduation. However, my understanding is that coop is no more and folks now get credit for TPS towards an MS at various schools.

OscarMyers

None
There used to be an MS Co-Op program for TPS selectees. They went to NPS (or AFIT later), did 1yr of master's classes, and then went to TPS. They were awarded a MS after TPS graduation. However, my understanding is that coop is no more and folks now get credit for TPS towards an MS at various schools.
Word I had heard was the co-op went away due to it messing up peoples timing. So far I've seen that Johns Hopkins gives credit for two or three classes towards a MS in systems engineering. I know the previous Skipper was trying to get USNTPS to count for a degree like the USAFTPS does, but I don't know how far that got.