• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Random8145

Contributor
To the extent that Russia thinks we are a potential military threat - ok? We always say we build our military to counter capabilities, not intent.

I don't think Hitler repeats of Operation Barbarossa motivate Putin or keep him up at night. There's nothing in his national security strategies to indicate this is a concern.
Not at the moment, no. I don't think he is afraid of such happening any time soon. But long-term, he doesn't want any Western powers right on Russia's border that can be avoided and especially not Ukraine.
I think he views westernization as an existential cultural threat. The collapse of Russia won't come with guns, but an internal collapse when Russian people adopt the ways of the west. That's the significance of countries with Russian populations joining NATO. And his paranoia is that we used the full extent of American intelligence community resources to turn Eastern Bloc governments against him rather than the simple explanation that Europe is rejecting authoritarianism.
IMO it is both military and cultural.

Read how Presidents during the Cold War had to interact with Russian leaders to reach agreements. The ones who were successful knew how to exploit their egos. The ones who puffed their chests and threw insults provoked negative responses.
Remember a leader not padding the ego of a foreign leader doesn't mean they are puffing their chests or throwing insults either.

Last edited: