• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
DO NOT GO TO FSU. Their advisers make the OCs come in every day in the summer and do manual labor. This is unheard of at most other units. At most units you don't show up the unit from May through August. They are there Monday-Friday and have to put in 8 hrs total between school and working. Plus they PT 3 times a week in the summer. USF is a much better alternative if you want to go to Florida.

haubby

None
Contributor
Or if you want absolutely no responsibility during the summer other than going to school, working out and phone mustering go to Iowa State. Oh and I'll only have paid around $1,000 total out of pocket for my education and that is because I've taken more than six credits each summer. Can't beat that.

And the horror stories about FSU are true. It's just nasty.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
DO NOT GO TO FSU. Their advisers make the OCs come in every day in the summer and do manual labor. This is unheard of at most other units. At most units you don't show up the unit from May through August. They are there Monday-Friday and have to put in 8 hrs total between school and working. Plus they PT 3 times a week in the summer. USF is a much better alternative if you want to go to Florida.

Or if you want absolutely no responsibility during the summer other than going to school, working out and phone mustering go to Iowa State. Oh and I'll only have paid around $1,000 total out of pocket for my education and that is because I've taken more than six credits each summer. Can't beat that.

And the horror stories about FSU are true. It's just nasty.

What, do the OC's have to chip rocks or something? FSU is not that bad, not as bad as ODU or SDSU. However we ARE in fleet concentration areas, so we have it a little harder than most.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
What, do the OC's have to chip rocks or something? FSU is not that bad, not as bad as ODU or SDSU. However we ARE in fleet concentration areas, so we have it a little harder than most.

Chip Rocks? Close. . . They are cleaning sidewalks on campus, mowing lawns, watering maintaining flowers and bushes. If they only have class 3 hours a day they are stuck on campus for 5 additional hours doing some manual labor. Is it as busy as work ups in the nuclear community, no. That being said when people get this program they talk about getting three years to just be a college student and getting a break. When you choose a school, I think it makes sense to look at quality of life. At one unit you will PT once a week and have a two hour lab once a week and have summers completely to yourself. At another you will PT three times a week even in the summer, lab more than once a week, and several weekend commitments during a semester. Also, some schools require extra credit hours to be taken during the summer. The minimum may be 6 credit hours, but some universities require you to take 12.

ziffler82

Chip Rocks? Close. . . They are cleaning sidewalks on campus, mowing lawns, watering maintaining flowers and bushes. If they only have class 3 hours a day they are stuck on campus for 5 additional hours doing some manual labor. Is it as busy as work ups in the nuclear community, no. That being said when people get this program they talk about getting three years to just be a college student and getting a break. When you choose a school, I think it makes sense to look at quality of life. At one unit you will PT once a week and have a two hour lab once a week and have summers completely to yourself. At another you will PT three times a week even in the summer, lab more than once a week, and several weekend commitments during a semester. Also, some schools require extra credit hours to be taken during the summer. The minimum may be 6 credit hours, but some universities require you to take 12.

Does anybody have any suggestions on schools then? I have a family and from the posts I think I may need to rethink my schools. I would like to see my kids and wife if I get into this program. Any suggestions?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Does anybody have any suggestions on schools then? I have a family and from the posts I think I may need to rethink my schools. I would like to see my kids and wife if I get into this program. Any suggestions?

Though some schools might be easier now, that doesn't mean they will stay that way. I checked in to the University of Kansas July 2009 and we did phone musters with only one face-to-face muster a week during the Summer. It was great! Then, we had a change of command. A new CO and XO. Everything changed. We now have to go everyday during Summer break (break only, not during Summer classes) from 0800-1200. Is this bad? No. It's just different than what we were use to doing so it seemed like a shit deal at first. Considering we are still Active Duty and getting paid, working a 4 hour workday is nothing to complain about. So the now easy school with lots of free time and very little unit involvement could easily be the most time consuming school next year. Pick your school for where you want to live, or close to family/friends, or whatever. Just an idea to think about.

Good luck and don't let the waiting mess with your minds too much!

kekio86

AC2Nasty,
Did you get an acceptance letter to college before you got selected for STA-21? I spoke to a college counselor and he told me that I should apply once the result comes out. I would like to have my degree plan, acceptance letter and physicals ready as soon as the message comes out (IF.... i got selected).

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
AC2Nasty,
Did you get an acceptance letter to college before you got selected for STA-21? I spoke to a college counselor and he told me that I should apply once the result comes out. I would like to have my degree plan, acceptance letter and physicals ready as soon as the message comes out (IF.... i got selected).

I did have my acceptance letter before the results came out. I had to defer my acceptance from the Summer of 09 to the Fall of 09 since I was selected for BOOST. If possible, try to apply for your school of choice. It would be one less thing to worry about come Oct and everybody is racing for orders. There is a downside to applying though. Many schools with have an application fee and/or an essay along with it. If you don't get selected, the school won't give your money back. If you have a strong package and applying for an option with many slots, might be a good idea. If applying for CEC or Spec Ops, might want to wait. Just my opinion.

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Greetings from Pax River,

Package was mailed out on the 28th and shows received on the website on 7/7. Currently only shows CO Letter and Cover Letter as included in package, and shows that the package has not been reviewed yet. I'm sure the rest will show included as time goes by. No marks in the additional comments section. My school choices are University of Illinois as #1, and University of Oklahoma as #2. Been in contact with both schools, and have friends at both who are STA-21 guys, and both are partial to their units and want me to come there. Imagine that. Good luck to everyone over the next few months. Keep your heads up and don't stress out too much. Look forward to seeing everyone in RI in Feb or May.

AWF2 Price

chk13

New to Forum

Hello All,

Although this is the first time I have posted, I have actually been following since FY10 STA-21 applicants were posting. Many familiar names from last year. I want to first thank everyone for all the information posted through this forum. I never had to actually register because every question about the program that came up for me was answered by others here. But since my package is in and it is all out of our hands from here on out, I figured I would join the club in the long wait. I am applying for CEC for those whom have already asked what everyone is applying for. Good luck to all the applicants!