• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

wizard

Just FYI for those of you worrying about getting accepted to school... The Citadel has guaranteed acceptance for STA-21 acceptees, and the school offers a substantial tuition break to us active duty guys, meaning no out-of-pocket expenses for year-round tuition and books. You gotta wear a uniform to class, and we PT 3x a week, but its better than getting kicked back to the fleet for not getting a school, or going into the hole tryin to pay for college. End of recruiting pitch, and good luck to all applicants this year!

OC Finlay

Does the school still hold the age restriction (17-23 i think?) for us active duty follks that would like to apply via this program?

Cleonard19

Contributor
Does the school still hold the age restriction (17-23 i think?) for us active duty follks that would like to apply via this program?

No, It was explained to me, that it doesn't apply. I asked because I'll be 23 by the time I get there if I get selected. Active duty students are a special case at El Cid, because you take classes with the corps of cadets, unlike the other civilians that attend but aren't part of the Corps of Cadets.

The age restriction does not apply to you as an active duty student because you are NOT part of the corps of cadets while attending. You will take part in some of their events as part of the battalion, but you are NOT part of the Corps.

You'll wear khaki's Mon-thu, and Dress on friday to be respectful of the Corps dress parade on Fridays.

Here's their website for STA-21 and MECEP guys:
HERE
Also, in speaking with many of the OC's while I was down there, they said that roughly 65-70% of the OC's are/were E-nukes.

OC/EMC

Is it possible to attend a different college than the ones chosen on the original STA online ap.?

Yes. If your selected school is part of a cross-town affiliate/ consortium, then you should be able to transfer. My NRTOC lets people do it all the time and it isn't uncommon for people to come to the unit going to one school, then transfer over to the other, less expensive schools. I even know someone who transferred from here at Jacksonville U to O.K. state. It was a pain in the butt, but he did it to go nuke.

Cleonard19

Contributor
I think he's asking if he's bound to his original three choices, if selected. The answer is no. As long as the school you get your Acceptance/Degree plan from is an eligible school for the program for which you are selected, you can go to it even if it wasn't one of the three schools you listed on your initial application.

wizard

Is it possible to attend a different college than the ones chosen on the original STA online ap.?

You can choose a different one than the originals you put on the application, but once you are placed at that unit you cannot change, per the guidance put out on the sta-21 website. So if you still want to select a different college you may, but it still needs to be ROTC affiliated.

Hendog84

You can choose a different one than the originals you put on the application, but once you are placed at that unit you cannot change, per the guidance put out on the sta-21 website. So if you still want to select a different college you may, but it still needs to be ROTC affiliated.

Is this true? I was told by my friend that was picked up last year that people were changing their schools while in NSI. To be honest, I haven't sent in any apps yet because I don't feel like spending a couple hundred dollars. I have all my schools apps filled out I'm just going to wait until tuesday to send them. I figure i've waited this long I can wait a couple more days, the only problem is i've been saying that for a month now.

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Yes there were people changing schools last minute in NSI. They do frown upon it because that is a lot of paper work that has to be done, not to mention they will have to reroute your household goods, but people did manage to do it.

Also, I know a person who transferred her second year of the program to a different school, but you need a really good reason. (i.e. death in the family, severe illness, or some other special case) Her's was because her son was extremely sick and she missed an entire semester of school taking care of him.

wizard

is there a deadline after selection to complete all 5 steps required by STA-21 (i.e college acceptance, degree plan, hiv, page 13). And when applying for college, do I select fall semester of next year? Its already too late to select spring of 2010, because there wont be enought time, and my applications so far dont give me the option to select summer.

Brydown1

is there a deadline after selection to complete all 5 steps required by STA-21 (i.e college acceptance, degree plan, hiv, page 13). And when applying for college, do I select fall semester of next year? Its already too late to select spring of 2010, because there wont be enought time, and my applications so far dont give me the option to select summer.

Yes, each selectee will be given a deadline of when they need there stuff in by. I think mine was like January 20th, I had everything done and handed in before the Holiday Stand-down on my ship.

I applied for the fall when I went to ODU, but I am not entirely sure what the actual requirement is.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.

Just apply for the earliest semester available. Once you're accepted to the school, it isn't a big deal to change which semester. I had to change my semester of enrollment after I got accepted and all it took was a phone call. I'm not sure how much college you have right now, but you could end up going to BOOST and if that is the case you wouldn't be starting college until next Fall semester anyway.

There will be a deadline for getting all your paperwork in and I can promise that you will feel like you have no time to get it all done, but you'll make it. Just remember, the STA-21 people aren't trying to get you kicked out of the program after you get selected. They will help you out where they can.

Brydown1

Just apply for the earliest semester available. Once you're accepted to the school, it isn't a big deal to change which semester. I had to change my semester of enrollment after I got accepted and all it took was a phone call. I'm not sure how much college you have right now, but you could end up going to BOOST and if that is the case you wouldn't be starting college until next Fall semester anyway.

There will be a deadline for getting all your paperwork in and I can promise that you will feel like you have no time to get it all done, but you'll make it. Just remember, the STA-21 people aren't trying to get you kicked out of the program after you get selected. They will help you out where they can.

Hey I am pretty sure BOOST is gone now, so how about you keep up to date on things..........VAN!!!!

HAHA!

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
No more BOOST?? Oh what a shame! :) That's what I get for not staying current!

Let me re-phrase: WAAAAAYYYY back when I went throught the process (FY08), I didn't have any trouble changing the semester that I started at ODU, just a phone call. Another thing that used to happen oh so long ago was a summer NSI class for BOOSTers AND selectees that got orders to the summer NSI class. If none of that is in place anymore, then you can expect to start the summer term at your University.

Either way Bry, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF BOOST IS GONE NOW!!! :D

Brydown1

No more BOOST?? Oh what a shame! :) That's what I get for not staying current!

Let me re-phrase: WAAAAAYYYY back when I went throught the process (FY09), I didn't have any trouble changing the semester that I started at ODU, just a phone call. Another thing that used to happen oh so long ago was a summer NSI class for BOOSTers AND selectees that got orders to the summer NSI class. If none of that is in place anymore, then you can expect to start the summer term at your University.

Either way Bry, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF BOOST IS GONE NOW!!! :D

Hey smart ass! I am pretty sure you were FY08, considering that you graduated college before the FY09 OC's showed up from NSI!!! So how about you just stay current in your own life!!! :D:icon_wink

Oh and he is right, the semester thing could be an easy fix, unless you have the worst registrars office in the world at your university.