• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
Seaman to Admiral 21 ... It's hearsay, but there is always some truth in hearsay.

Just looking at that facebook... are you the guy from Fredericksburg? I used to live there. Graduated from Chancellor High School and went to Germanna for a bit before I joined (my 4 year college was in NY). If so I just find it funny the only other guy I've seen applying for SWO/ED also lived there.

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Just looking at that facebook... are you the guy from Fredericksburg? I used to live there. Graduated from Chancellor High School and went to Germanna for a bit before I joined (my 4 year college was in NY). If so I just find it funny the only other guy I've seen applying for SWO/ED also lived there.
Absolutely. Actually taking courses at Germanna right now towards my AS in Engineering. Working out of Dahlgren as an instructor at ATRC. I'm originally from Crozet, VA (near Charlottesville) so this isn't too different for me. It is quite the coincidence.

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
Its good to see the rumors starting already. I heard there was going to be half of last years 115. So 57.5 selectees. 20 core, 20 swo and then 2 each of the rest.

Tori

First salute would be my husband who is active duty Navy. Might as well get it out of the way. ;)

smith1787

Future SNFO
I heard recently they are going to completely get rid of STA-21 and OCS all together and just stick with all the officers they have now. rumors are awesome!

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
I heard recently they are going to completely get rid of STA-21 and OCS all together and just stick with all the officers they have now. rumors are awesome!

I heard that one too!!
Smith. I don't know if you posted about it before but have you applied for pilot before? I applied last year but made ALT core. I applied again this year but I didn't retake my ASTB. I don't think they care much about the ASTB though just as long as you get the min. I got 6 6 5 OAR 59 (about average)

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
I heard that one too!!
Smith. I don't know if you posted about it before but have you applied for pilot before? I applied last year but made ALT core. I applied again this year but I didn't retake my ASTB. I don't think they care much about the ASTB though just as long as you get the min. I got 6 6 5 OAR 59 (about average)

Do you know if they care about SAT scores?

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
Do you know if they care about SAT scores?
Pretty much just like the ASTB the SAT or ACT is just another check in the block for the board. Of course you can imagine that if you score a 36 on ACT then that will help but getting feedback from other people accepted into communities such as pilot, nfo and intel the score is just a check in the block. What matters most is your CO recommendation and Personal Statement. So, if you scored a 22 or 23 in math don't feel bad. (we're enlisted) lol

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
I didn't take the ACT but I got a 1490 on the SAT so I was hoping that would help out my package. Other than that I do feel my CO recommendation/interviews and personal statement are the best parts of my package, but who knows. Still, I will be second guessing myself till mid October like everyone else...waiting sucks.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Pretty much just like the ASTB the SAT or ACT is just another check in the block for the board. Of course you can imagine that if you score a 36 on ACT then that will help but getting feedback from other people accepted into communities such as pilot, nfo and intel the score is just a check in the block. What matters most is your CO recommendation and Personal Statement. So, if you scored a 22 or 23 in math don't feel bad. (we're enlisted) lol

I have to disagree with this. The test scores certainly do matter. Academic potential is something that they are looking for just clearing the minimums is definitely not helping your package. Your test scores will determine part of your pre-board score before the board even sees your package. Obviously, leadership potential is more important but test scores are part of the whole person concept. The ASTB I'm not so sure about but I know the SAT and/or ACT are put into consideration.

DiverDan

US Navy Diver

While it isn't nearly AS important as other parts of your package, everything that is on the required list is important. While an individual item may not get as much attention as another item it's the entire package as a whole that paints a picture of YOU for the board to see. Try not to "settle" for anything in your application. If you think you could do better on a section then do better. Everything adds up and even if it comes down to 10 more points on an SAT you never know when those 10 points were the ones to set you apart from someone else.

Just think of it like this:
1 - CO endorsement talks about you as a person in all aspects for the board.
2 - Your personal statement should be the same but from your perspective and desires.
3 - Everything else is there to back up #1 & 2.

Your CO recommendation and Personal Statement may "matter most" but they mean NOTHING without the proof.

Don't feel bad if you got a lower score in one area than another person, but you should still try for your best.

TXcountry

FY 13 Intel Applicant
So My Flag Sec passed the word that the board convened 12-23 Sep. he's under the impression that the results are gonna be out officially around 13 Oct. Anyone else heard that on the rumor mill?

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
While it isn't nearly AS important as other parts of your package, everything that is on the required list is important. While an individual item may not get as much attention as another item it's the entire package as a whole that paints a picture of YOU for the board to see. Try not to "settle" for anything in your application. If you think you could do better on a section then do better. Everything adds up and even if it comes down to 10 more points on an SAT you never know when those 10 points were the ones to set you apart from someone else.

Just think of it like this:
1 - CO endorsement talks about you as a person in all aspects for the board.
2 - Your personal statement should be the same but from your perspective and desires.
3 - Everything else is there to back up #1 & 2.

Your CO recommendation and Personal Statement may "matter most" but they mean NOTHING without the proof.

Don't feel bad if you got a lower score in one area than another person, but you should still try for your best.
I guess no one liked me saying what I did... I don't want to discourage anyone from retaking their tests if they feel they could do better I was just trying to make the point that they are not the most important especially if you have college to show your real potential. Also, from personal experience with being ALT last year with low scores and other people I know (im sure many know people like this) that received low scores but were still selcted. Like I said, of course once you break past the "average" then I don't doubt that it will help but on the ACT for example if someone scores a 25 on math and another scored 23...whats the difference? really nothing.

Also, DiverDan - great advice and you are exactly right. However, anyone looking for advice on the ASTB, only your most recent score counts unlike ACT or SAT.