• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
I guess no one liked me saying what I did... I don't want to discourage anyone from retaking their tests if they feel they could do better I was just trying to make the point that they are not the most important especially if you have college to show your real potential. Also, from personal experience with being ALT last year with low scores and other people I know (im sure many know people like this) that received low scores but were still selcted. Like I said, of course once you break past the "average" then I don't doubt that it will help but on the ACT for example if someone scores a 25 on math and another scored 23...whats the difference? really nothing.

Also, DiverDan - great advice and you are exactly right. However, anyone looking for advice on the ASTB, only your most recent score counts unlike ACT or SAT.
Here's a scenario where I think good test scores will help an applicant: I didn't come into the Navy right out of high school. I spent 4 semesters at a university only to flunk out with a 1.30 GPA. I have had what I consider a stellar career thus far and knew that I wanted to be an Officer from the get go. However, convincing a board of Officers that I am not a risk is proving to be a huge task. So, the SAT's did mean a lot to me. It gives my CO some ground to recommend me in my academic studies and the board something positive to look at. Now, I'm not sitting around hoping to overcome my past on the merit of my SAT's - off-duty education now that I'm on shore duty will hopefully help with that - but I'm a firm believer when the say "the minimum is not good enough" that it's going to help them make the tougher decisions when the slots available are few and the remaining qualified applicants are many.

On a different note, it's almost October!

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
Here's a scenario where I think good test scores will help an applicant: I didn't come into the Navy right out of high school. I spent 4 semesters at a university only to flunk out with a 1.30 GPA. I have had what I consider a stellar career thus far and knew that I wanted to be an Officer from the get go. However, convincing a board of Officers that I am not a risk is proving to be a huge task. So, the SAT's did mean a lot to me. It gives my CO some ground to recommend me in my academic studies and the board something positive to look at. Now, I'm not sitting around hoping to overcome my past on the merit of my SAT's - off-duty education now that I'm on shore duty will hopefully help with that - but I'm a firm believer when the say "the minimum is not good enough" that it's going to help them make the tougher decisions when the slots available are few and the remaining qualified applicants are many.

On a different note, it's almost October!

I have to agree that test scores probably carry some weight with the board. Most of my college credits are from online courses that are general education type classes (math/english/history/etc.), so if they know I am interested in earning a technical degree they can look at test scores to sort of gauge how I would do with more challenging upper division classes that I would take to complete my major. Just my 2 cents.

jeeplovindad

Everybody does have a copy of the precept that was sent out a few years back, right? It tells you exactly how your package is pre-scored prior to the board convening. Your SAT score directly effects your score in the precept.

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
Everybody does have a copy of the precept that was sent out a few years back, right? It tells you exactly how your package is pre-scored prior to the board convening. Your SAT score directly effects your score in the precept.

Actually no. You know where I can find a copy?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. Thanks for making us aware of it though.I didn't know this was out there.
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/fy11-sta-21-stats-and-scores.35093/
Scroll down to see the 3 download links that PRICE311USN posted. For anyone else who was looking for it too.

HOPEIMSELECTED4STA-21

FY12 & 13 CORE Applicant
Is everyone's login working for the online application page? I was trying to check my package status but the page is having a problem redirecting. Maybe it's just my connection.

jeeplovindad

Now, I don't pretend that these are from me, but PRICE311USN posted these a year ago. I think they provide interesting incite into what instruction the board members are given prior to convening the board. If nothing else, it provides interesting reading to help pass the time. I thought it was interesting to score yourself ... but that's just me.

Attachments

• 1_7_17_2010_12_9_3.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • 2_7_17_2010_12_11_0.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 3_7_17_2010_12_11_30.pdf
    679.9 KB · Views: 29

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Now, I don't pretend that these are from me, but PRICE311USN posted these a year ago. I think they provide interesting incite into what instruction the board members are given prior to convening the board. If nothing else, it provides interesting reading to help pass the time. I thought it was interesting to score yourself ... but that's just me.
Actually no. You know where I can find a copy?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. Thanks for making us aware of it though.I didn't know this was out there.
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/fy11-sta-21-stats-and-scores.35093/
Scroll down to see the 3 download links that PRICE311USN posted. For anyone else who was looking for it too.

Thanks for reposting that guys. Should of done that a long time ago.

KevBot510

FY12 STA-21 SWO Selectee
Has anybody talked to their colleges about degree plans? I've only found degree maps which show the degree being competed in 8 semesters vice 36 months. Any previous STA-21 Selectees care to shed some light on what their degree plans looked like? Much appreciative.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You need to speak with a major specific advisor well before the selection results come out. Make sure that he/she understands what kind of program you are in, what kind of college credits you have, and what your timeline is. Most of those guys have the authority to decide whether or not they will accept certain military credits or whether they are willing to let you "slide" in order to get done within the 36 months.

jeeplovindad

Has anybody talked to their colleges about degree plans? I've only found degree maps which show the degree being competed in 8 semesters vice 36 months. Any previous STA-21 Selectees care to shed some light on what their degree plans looked like? Much appreciative.
In order to get an official degree plan you will need to be accepted into the university first. If you aren't, then you can probably work with admissions/department you are planning on attending and they can give you a "rough" estimate of credits that they will accept.

WeatherGoddess

This is what most people had the hardest time with when they got accepted. Most admissions depts don't really want to give you a degree plan that early, you really have to get on them. I would start either before results come out or the same day that they come out b/c it can take a little while, they need to review your transcripts, see how the classes transfer into the school, see if you need any placement tests, etc. so they will try and tell you it can't be done. I had to actually get ahold of the NROTC unit at my college and ask them to call the admissions dept. and they still didn't give me exactly what I needed, but b/c I had been in touch with the NROTC unit and kept Mr Straten in the loop, he accepted the degree plan that they kind of made me...

jeeplovindad

So, I've tried to login to view my application on the STA website using three different web browsers and cannot ... is anybody else having this issue?