• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
I don't see this scenario playing out unless they don't have enough applicants to fill available slots this time around.
I'm gonna agree. However, we all know stuff changes like the wind. Here's the only official source of which I know:

FYxx Officer PRB Schedule, similar to Notice 1131 (FY16). That's probably gonna be the only way we find out how many DCO Accession Boards are scheduled for a given fiscal year.

MTRIO

Off subject, but does anybody have any idea if prior service is vital while applying for DCO/IW/IPIntel?

rjsj38

Off subject, but does anybody have any idea if prior service is vital while applying for DCO/IW/IPIntel?
It depends on your definition of vital. It is not vital, however you are at a significant disadvantage without it as the board directly considers prior service as a primary indicator of success as a Naval officer (so long as the panel interview and OIC endorsement also reflect this). Evidence of this is from the last DCO board; more than 85% of those selected had some form of prior service between 4 and 12 years with the majority being prior enlisted non-commissioned officers from all of the services in the Intel/IW fields. The most competitive candidates are usually prior enlisted in the IW/Intel fields from the Navy or other branches for at least 4-8 years with demonstrated leadership experience, positive fitness reports, and a graduate degree (IP was different). There is no formula for success, but there is certainly a formula for being the most competitive in the eyes of the board, and this is it. The only situations where being prior service would hurt a candidate in the eyes of the board (not considering those with derogatory information, as they aren't competitive in the first place) is if the candidate had 15+ years prior service, at which point the board will assume the Navy wouldn't get much return on the investment. Prior service experience as a non-commissioned officer is exactly what the Navy is looking for to fill its "direct commission" ranks -- people who are proven commodities with significant military leadership experience who can hit the ground running, otherwise what is the point of a DIRCOM when we can just send them to OCS like everyone else. There are certainly exceptional civilian candidates with no prior military service, but they are the exceptions and not the norm (i.e. FBI agents, experienced analysts in the IC at the GS13+ level, civilians at ONI, etc.). The IP field is a bit different, as most people competitive for this who have the necessary expertise are usually from outside of the military and federal government.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Evidence of this is from the last DCO board; more than 85% of those selected had some form of prior service between 4 and 12 years with the majority being prior enlisted non-commissioned officers from all of the services in the Intel/IW fields.
Where did you find this gouge? I am curious about the 85% number. I've kind of heard the opposite.

exNavyOffRec

It was from an officer at my local NOSC who was a board member last year.

It is more likely he was a board member of a panel board, I believe the board members that make the selections for the IDC DCO are Captains and Commanders, that should make him the OIC for the IDC guys at the NOSC, which would make him not able to be on the NRC board since that would be a conflict.

ACB

Good luck to everyone who applied this time. Does anyone know where the results are posted, not just the list of the selected applicants, but also of those not selected?