• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

jander12

pilot
Think of it this way. You know how there are super smart people in your class, but outside of the academic sphere, they are a total klutz.

Not saying the people scoring 9's are klutz, heck they might be a perfect person (looks, money, smarts, athletic ability, street smarts). But just a way to ease the pain about someone having a better score than you, lol.

True. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. If you're going through the hoops and hurdles to become an officer in the military, then you definitely have strengths. I didn't have very many impressive LORs, I don't have thousands of volunteer hours, and I've always had to be measured at weigh ins because I never fall within the Navy weight standards. So, as someone said earlier, it really is the "whole package" they're looking for (or else they wouldn't ask for so much information!). The ASTB/OAR may just be the first thing they look at, but they definitely don't stop there.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
True. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. If you're going through the hoops and hurdles to become an officer in the military, then you definitely have strengths. I didn't have very many impressive LORs, I don't have thousands of volunteer hours, and I've always had to be measured at weigh ins because I never fall within the Navy weight standards. So, as someone said earlier, it really is the "whole package" they're looking for (or else they wouldn't ask for so much information!). The ASTB/OAR may just be the first thing they look at, but they definitely don't stop there.

Boom, the WHOLE PERSON/PACKAGE CONCEPT was the words I was looking for in my last post. Thanks!

Well said.

exNavyOffRec

Boom, the WHOLE PERSON/PACKAGE CONCEPT was the words I was looking for in my last post. Thanks!

Well, in regards to aviation not so much, when selection rates were running an average of 50% I saw many well rounded candidates that fit the "whole person concept" who were passed over in favor of the person with high ASTB scores with no outside activity.

Well, in regards to aviation not so much, when selection rates were running an average of 50% I saw many well rounded candidates that fit the "whole person concept" who were passed over in favor of the person with high ASTB scores with no outside activity.

This seems counter-intuitive. I would rather have A) a well-rounded and dedicated leader who, although potentially less apt to learn to fly, will persevere to be a great pilot rather than, B) the unmotivated, socially-inept person who has little life experience but can learn to fly more quickly. That's just one man's opinion though...

cb812

SNA
This seems counter-intuitive. I would rather have A) a well-rounded and dedicated leader who, although potentially less apt to learn to fly, will persevere to be a great pilot rather than, B) the unmotivated, socially-inept person who has little life experience but can learn to fly more quickly. That's just one man's opinion though...

The "unmotivated, socially-inept person who has little life experience" is going to have a horrible package, and likely be passed over, regardless if they have high ASTB scores. In fact that type of person would probably not be applying in the first place...

exNavyOffRec

Never said socially inept, he or she may just be the person that just went to college but never was involved in sports, or community activities.

I have seen a guy who had a 2.9 GPA and scored 9's on the ASTB picked up over a guy with 3.5 who played college sports and scored 6's on the ASTB. (they were up for the same board)

people don't have to like this, it is just the way things are sometimes in life and it sucks to be on the wrong side of this, I know as I have been on the wrong side of a circumstance like this before.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Never said socially inept, he or she may just be the person that just went to college but never was involved in sports, or community activities.

I have seen a guy who had a 2.9 GPA and scored 9's on the ASTB picked up over a guy with 3.5 who played college sports and scored 6's on the ASTB. (they were up for the same board)

people don't have to like this, it is just the way things are sometimes in life and it sucks to be on the wrong side of this, I know as I have been on the wrong side of a circumstance like this before.
when they examine pilot fit they look at the first 2 scores of the astb right? AOR and PFAR? and I had brought this up earlier but when I hear not picked up it seems as if that means for SNA and SNFO, do those not selected for SNA still have a shot at NFO?

Thats good to hear considering my gpa is only a 2.8, hopefully 8/8/9 is enough to make up for it, how much emphasis is placed on actual major? and do they look at the transcripts in detail for improvement?

Thats good to hear considering my gpa is only a 2.8, hopefully 8/8/9 is enough to make up for it, how much emphasis is placed on actual major? and do they look at the transcripts in detail for improvement?
^This. I hope they do; I started college as an idiot 18 year old and had a 1.7 but my last 9 semesters I've gotten 3.4-3.6 every time. I explained it in my motivational statement though.

Surf

pilot
^This. I hope they do; I started college as an idiot 18 year old and had a 1.7 but my last 9 semesters I've gotten 3.4-3.6 every time. I explained it in my motivational statement though.
You are not alone, I was 17 my freshman year. It took almost getting kicked out to turn the ship around. A lesson learned the hard way...