• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

jander12

pilot
im pretty sure you have the option to wait and see the results before you decide so another words why not
Correct as far as I know. However, I don't know how long I want to wait to "get started!" And with it being a rolling board, I really don't know when it will be.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards accepting IW. First reason: my true "1st choice" is Naval Officer. Second reason: I am not one of the many die-hard aviation guys on these forums that would give an arm and a leg to get SNA/NFO - I absolutely think it sounds much more "fun" and "way cooler" than anything else, but who's to say I wouldn't enjoy the IW service just as much? Third reason: I've got a wife and kids to think about (at least a little). IW seems more family friendly, but military service is generally not really family friendly. And lastly: to take a 9/9/9 67 ASTB/OAR off the SNA/NFO board's list - I don't want to sound cocky, but even my OR said expect to be selected. I don't want to take someone else's "spot" if I don't have to.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Correct as far as I know. However, I don't know how long I want to wait to "get started!" And with it being a rolling board, I really don't know when it will be.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards accepting IW. First reason: my true "1st choice" is Naval Officer. Second reason: I am not one of the many die-hard aviation guys on these forums that would give an arm and a leg to get SNA/NFO - I absolutely think it sounds much more "fun" and "way cooler" than anything else, but who's to say I wouldn't enjoy the IW service just as much? Third reason: I've got a wife and kids to think about (at least a little). IW seems more family friendly, but military service is generally not really family friendly. And lastly: to take a 9/9/9 67 ASTB/OAR off the SNA/NFO board's list - I don't want to sound cocky, but even my OR said expect to be selected. I don't want to take someone else's "spot" if I don't have to.
I'm tracking but I'm thinking I would have put IW as my first designation. Do your thing though. I heard IW is a pretty intense and interesting community so would be a learning experience regardless. If you get selected pilot then that goes right out the window and you are "stuck" with pilot. Keep us updated.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot

Don't worry about us, we will find a way to get in. With a decision that will greatly effect the rest of your life, you really have to pick which path will greatly benefit you.

David0619

Truly spoken like a Naval Officer. You will be successful in any designation.

jander12

pilot
The last thing any of us need is to get in because of that reason, you are not doing any of us a favor by dropping out because your scores were high. We will all get in because we want to get in and we worked hard, not because the first round pick decided to bow out...

v/r
Alex
There's always a few that have a knack for taking things the wrong way...

My thoughts are that there are selection quotas - for simplicity's sake, let's say 10 SNAs this time around. I may be wrong, but hypothetically if I stay in for this board, assuming I'm selected, there will be 9 spots left. If I still choose IW after that board, "they" aren't going to say, "Oh man, that guy turned us down, let's go back and pick someone else." I may be wrong, but I assume it would be the next board before they select someone to fill that quota, if it happens at all. So to clear the air, as I said, I'm not trying to be cocky. I studied very hard for those scores and have been blessed with great information retention ability; however, I'm not claiming to be the best or claiming anyone else is at the mercy of my dropping out or not. There are tons of people more qualified for Naval Avaiation with lower ASTB/OAR scores.

Truly spoken like a Naval Officer. You will be successful in any designation.
Not there yet :)

Surf

pilot
There's always a few that have a knack for taking things the wrong way...

My thoughts are that there are selection quotas - for simplicity's sake, let's say 10 SNAs this time around. I may be wrong, but hypothetically if I stay in for this board, assuming I'm selected, there will be 9 spots left. If I still choose IW after that board, "they" aren't going to say, "Oh man, that guy turned us down, let's go back and pick someone else." I may be wrong, but I assume it would be the next board before they select someone to fill that quota, if it happens at all. So to clear the air, as I said, I'm not trying to be cocky. I studied very hard for those scores and have been blessed with great information retention ability; however, I'm not claiming to be the best or claiming anyone else is at the mercy of my dropping out or not. There are tons of people more qualified for Naval Avaiation with lower ASTB/OAR scores.

Not there yet :)
No hard feelings. I just don't think you should even consider that as an option is all. I've said it before, it makes me honored to be in the same applicant pool as someone like yourself who has earned those scores. I wouldn't want you to diminish your goals as an aspiring officer because you feel bad. Wait and see what else you get selected for and make your decision based on what is right for you. We are all on the same team, and our goal is success!

Last edited:

cb812

SNA
I have not been PQ'd yet as I am waiting for an inspect from MEPS... I will not be making this board and will be shooting for the April board. I did ask my OR if a board is indeed meeting this week and whether or not it will affect the board in April. Here is his response: "I called recruiting headquarters and they confirmed that kits are being reviewed this week and, as of now, the board will still meet again in April. This is always subject to change but generally, they are pretty good at sticking to their word on this." Good luck to all on this board!!! Hopefully you fellas will have some good news in a few weeks.

Surf

pilot
I have not been PQ'd yet as I am waiting for an inspect from MEPS... I will not be making this board and will be shooting for the April board. I did ask my OR if a board is indeed meeting this week and whether or not it will affect the board in April. Here is his response: "I called recruiting headquarters and they confirmed that kits are being reviewed this week and, as of now, the board will still meet again in April. This is always subject to change but generally, they are pretty good at sticking to their word on this." Good luck to all on this board!!! Hopefully you fellas will have some good news in a few weeks.
That is two sources who've confirmed, I'd say it's pretty legitimate! Sorry to hear you won't make this one, good luck on the next one.

exNavyOffRec

If you are wanting to go sooner rather than later wait for the SNA results, many of the people selected for IW have been waiting since middle to late of last year, I thinks some have said they have been waiting since August with still not date.

jander12

pilot
If you are wanting to go sooner rather than later wait for the SNA results, many of the people selected for IW have been waiting since middle to late of last year, I thinks some have said they have been waiting since August with still not date.
Definitely good to know. I'll definitely be adding that to my decision metrics. Thanks!

jander12

pilot
Do you know why? I was reading through some stuff and some folks mentioned having SF-86 problems or MEPS issues causing the delay (at least in part). Would it be wrong to think that because I already am SECRET cleared and have been PQ'd by N3M that my FS may come sooner than a 6 month wait? Or do they specifically hold back designators? Thanks for any insight.

brogdawg32

Can confirm that my recruiter says they are still looking at a board in April, says they are in schedule for that. Pretty disappointed I missed this one.

Side note: failed my depth perception at MEPS today. I'm going to the optometrist tomorrow to get the letter and get that handled. What are the chances of me actually making it through N3N and NAMI as an SNA when I could barely get to line C? That shiz was hard.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you get selected pilot then that goes right out the window and you are "stuck" with pilot. Keep us updated.
Getting "stuck" with pilot is an alien concept on this Air Warrior site. If one considers a ProRec-Y pilot as getting stuck, why list it as a choice? Most applicants would love to be stuck that way!;)
BzB