• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July 2013 and/or Rolling Board

SaltyDawg85

I am under the assumption that cutting/gaining fat and muscle is strictly a matter of mathematics—reaching a calorie deficit/surplus. My understanding is that the macros can control the quality of your loss or gain, but not whether it happens. If you have crap macros but you still have a 500-calorie deficit, you're going to lose weight. You just might lose more muscle than you'd like. Likewise, if you eat crap macros and a surplus of calories, you are going to gain...but you might gain more fat than you want to. Again, this is my understanding of it. I'm actually operating on these principles myself right now, so the conversation is useful to me.

On that note, I'd figure eating macro-valuable foods (i.e., quality complex carbs, lean protein sources) would help you maintain the right calorie and macro balance to achieve optimal gain/loss (depending on your goals). Am I correct, or completely out of whack on this?

EDIT: Also, the above statement assumes the calorie/surplus deficit is affected by both exercise and diet, however you choose to achieve it.

To avoid losing muscle you have to make sure your macros include enough protein, since that's what rebuilds muscles broken down through exercise. But at it's simplest - yes, losing weight is a simple mathematical equation - calories out versus calories in. You could theoretically eat nothing but twinkies and as long as you finished with a calorie deficit you'd lose weight.... but you'd probably be in awfully poor shape.

It sounds like you've got the right idea though.

http://www.swole.me is a useful utility for developing a diet tailored to your goals . Also, if you're going to count calories, the myfitnesspal app for android or iPhone is also excellent, and free. And while I'm plugging resources, I find that http://www.bodybuilding.com has a wealth of great information concerning nutrition and exercise. Don't let the name fool you, there is a TON of useful info on there for folks looking to trim down as much as there is for folks trying to bulk up.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Goo
OR's have the same view access that processors do, the difference is OR's cannot upload into CIRIMS
My Divo is a liar lol! I asked him and he said that he can only see his people. That gives me several options for people to nag. How much before a FS letter is issued do you see it in CIRIMS?

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Get a good night's sleep
Don't use the restroom right when you wake up, hold it.
Listen to and follow instructions and reply with yes or no, sir/ma'am
Relax, but not so much that you fall asleep.
Unless you have anything incriminating that you haven't been upfront about with your OR, there's no need to worry.

Also, I learned that anything more than 2 alcoholic beverages/week classifies you as borderline alcoholic. ;)

exNavyOffRec

Goo
My Divo is a liar lol! I asked him and he said that he can only see his people. That gives me several options for people to nag. How much before a FS letter is issued do you see it in CIRIMS?

I was able to look up people from all over the country, that is why I would get PM's and give people their status, I can't tell you how many people would give applicants false information on their status.

alaurin

All day, every day!
Ok, now that I know I've been selected, I need to worry about getting through MEPS, any tips?

Most likely, you will be tired as hell during the entire thing and some of the staff will be grumpy. Don't let anybody rush you during the tests, take your sweet time, especially with the visual tests. You should treat it as they are there to test you and you are entitled to take as much time as you want. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
Clean out your ears the night before. You might want to bring your filled out medical questionnaire with you also, since you have to fill it out by hand again during the first two hours you are there. Bring your documents with you if you have any waivers or prior injuries. Be sure to sit in the correct color coded seats if your MEPS is anything like MEPS in LA. A book helps too. You should be mostly done by noon with medical if you're coming in at 4:45 am, but it might take them 2-3 hrs to actually roll your fingerprints.

eddieoctane

Speaking of MEPS, apparently Camp Lejeune is able to do everything except the drug and alcohol testing, which I'm supposed to pay out of pocket for ($100+). Is this the case for everyone or do I just have crap luck? And it's not even the cost as much as the inconvenience of going to an off-base urgent care clinic and needing to arrange for the results to get back to the Navy while maintaining all the chain-of-custody stuff that drug tests always come with.

Bob Windham

A rare mix of inspired action and humility.
ALCON, I have been selected-SNA and did not attend MEPS. I elected to pay (out of pocket) and have the medical completed by a private, Navy-specified medical facility outside of NAS JAX. If you have that option, consider it! I was in and out of the building in under an hour.

Maturin90

I have not yet begun to fight.
ALCON, I have been selected-SNA and did not attend MEPS. I elected to pay (out of pocket) and have the medical completed by a private, Navy-specified medical facility outside of NAS JAX. If you have that option, consider it! I was in and out of the building in under an hour.

Do you have to go to a "navy specified" medical facility? If so, how do you find one? Is there a list?

eddieoctane

Do you have to go to a "navy specified" medical facility? If so, how do you find one? Is there a list?

And could you give us a rough idea of the cost involved? It's fine with me if you would rather let me know via PM. I was under the impression that you could only go to a private practice for the physical if you weren't located close to a MEPS facility. It's interesting to know this is an option.

Bob Windham

A rare mix of inspired action and humility.
^You do. My OR made the offer to me when he called me with the initial selection news. I have not seen a list circulated. Ask your OR if they have that option available, because (while I have never been to MEPS) I can assume that it was a far more pleasant and expeditious experience overall. It was $170 well invested.

exNavyOffRec

And could you give us a rough idea of the cost involved? It's fine with me if you would rather let me know via PM. I was under the impression that you could only go to a private practice for the physical if you weren't located close to a MEPS facility. It's interesting to know this is an option.

Many years ago it was the norm to send officer candidates to their own doctors or contracted civilian doctors, the practice was essentially stopped due to the majority needing to redo physicals because of omissions or errors in the physicals they did.