• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July 2013 and/or Rolling Board

Kyler Boeck

Pro-rec SWO waiting for FS
Yea, he said he would call me if he heard anything while on leave. I figure he didn't really check which is fine, because he told me not to expect anything until today. Just glad I got the good news! The waiting was easy after the first couple weeks :)

ba31

You have to go through the OCM, and the lateral transfer board, the OCS boards are only for those that have not been commissioned.

The OCM is saying he won't grant me a waiver due to the fact that I'm already 31. I was under the impression that since I was already commissioned and had an outstanding flight physical that it would be granted. Is there anything else I can do?

exNavyOffRec

The OCM is saying he won't grant me a waiver due to the fact that I'm already 31. I was under the impression that since I was already commissioned and had an outstanding flight physical that it would be granted. Is there anything else I can do?

There are others more familiar with the lateral transfer process than I am, but if the OCM has to sign off on it you may have hit a roadblock.

alaurin

All day, every day!
I'm returning to MEPS tomorrow for depth perception consult... Good luck to the rest of you guys working on MEPS.

Kelsokrippler

I'm returning to MEPS tomorrow for depth perception consult... Good luck to the rest of you guys working on MEPS.

This might be a little late but use some eye glasses. Even if your vision is not that bad it helps a whole lot. I ended up with a 20/50 vision when tested at MEPS I retested with my own eye doctor and got 20/30R & 20/40L. The doctor ended up getting me a pair of eye glasses since it was free with insurance and said it would be good for night driving. However, MEPS did not approve his depth perception test I passed so I had to go back in for the depth perception. I luckily brought those eye glasses just in case I was told I could wear them. The glasses were a life saver I believe the test had lines A-F I struggled without them only able to read lines A/B. Once I had them on the rest of the lines were very clear.

eddieoctane

I managed to get the whole physical process started yesterday, but I'm a little annoyed by my vision test. I got 20/20 NVA and 20/25 DVA (both uncorrected). This was after I had been up for at least 7 hours and had been sent running around the base all morning trying to get a straight answer on where I even needed to be (got some conflicting information from my recruiter though I eventually got everything resolved). By the time I got to the vision test, I had a bit of a stress headache. But what really confuses and annoys me is that I'm pretty sure I was reading off the 20/15 line and only got one letter wrong with my left eye, so I'm not entirely sure where those results come from.

In doing some of my own research, it seems as though anything less than 20/20 visual acuity results in a consultation with an actual optometrist (and the last time I met with an actual eye doctor, I was 20/20 both eyes) and the test I was given only took about 15 seconds and was most definitely not performed by a doctor. Is it possible I have nothing to worry about since my eyes were undoubtedly rather tired by the time of my eye exam and a more in-depth one should be forthcoming and may actually bump my results back up to 20/20 in each eye? I'd hate to get knocked out of aviation because my eyes were tired most of the way into a long and rather stressful day.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Couldn't tell you. Except I thought 20/40 was the max. for pilot. FYI during the flight physical at OCS you will be stressed and tired.

exNavyOffRec

I managed to get the whole physical process started yesterday, but I'm a little annoyed by my vision test. I got 20/20 NVA and 20/25 DVA (both uncorrected). This was after I had been up for at least 7 hours and had been sent running around the base all morning trying to get a straight answer on where I even needed to be (got some conflicting information from my recruiter though I eventually got everything resolved). By the time I got to the vision test, I had a bit of a stress headache. But what really confuses and annoys me is that I'm pretty sure I was reading off the 20/15 line and only got one letter wrong with my left eye, so I'm not entirely sure where those results come from.

In doing some of my own research, it seems as though anything less than 20/20 visual acuity results in a consultation with an actual optometrist (and the last time I met with an actual eye doctor, I was 20/20 both eyes) and the test I was given only took about 15 seconds and was most definitely not performed by a doctor. Is it possible I have nothing to worry about since my eyes were undoubtedly rather tired by the time of my eye exam and a more in-depth one should be forthcoming and may actually bump my results back up to 20/20 in each eye? I'd hate to get knocked out of aviation because my eyes were tired most of the way into a long and rather stressful day.

If you vision was not correctable to 20/20 you could get a consult.

exNavyOffRec

Well, 20/40 is a lot worse than 20/25, so I think I'm good in that regard.

Do you any information on what defines "correctable" and if I'd still be able to fly fighters?

correctable means that if you vision is 20/25 that they can have you look through lenses and correct to 20/20

RiseR 25

Okay, so not to derail the discussion too much or anything, but I figure this concerns the folks on this board the most anyway. I've read other threads but they've not really helped.

I'm genuinely concerned about our service commitment once we're in. I'm Pro-Y for pilot and NFO and my recruiter has told me several times that a pilot's active duty commitment is six years + two in the individual ready reserve. I believe he also said that the commitment includes two years for training.
Now, everything I've ever read on the internet, particularly the Navy's website, has said that it is an eight-year active duty requirement, starting the day we get our wings. I'm honestly not sure which to believe. Be it six or ten, I want to join; it's just that I would like to know what I'm signing up for without any ambiguity.

Has anyone also had a recruiter tell them this, and if so, do you believe it's true?
Looking forward to seeing ya'll in Newport!

I like to think about it this way... 8 years Active Duty in the Navy after winging is much better than the current Air Force requirement of 10 years active duty after winging.

alaurin

All day, every day!

I had a similar experience with my consult yesterday. They took my acuity before dilation and then again roughly 2 hours later after I sat in a bright room, so I had a pretty bad headache and could barely see. I had a depth perception- B fail at MEPS and they did not retest depth perception. Do I need to get yet another depth perception even though I was told "you passed visual qualification"? The recruiter thinks this fail depth perception will screw up the flight physical.

I already have 2 tests on file from my school's optometrist saying I pass depth perception.

exNavyOffRec

I had a similar experience with my consult yesterday. They took my acuity before dilation and then again roughly 2 hours later after I sat in a bright room, so I had a pretty bad headache and could barely see. I had a depth perception- B fail at MEPS and they did not retest depth perception. Do I need to get yet another depth perception even though I was told "you passed visual qualification"? The recruiter thinks this fail depth perception will screw up the flight physical.

I already have 2 tests on file from my school's optometrist saying I pass depth perception.

N3M will see the failed depth perception and NPQ you for SNA, you need to pursue this sooner rather than later.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
I read through my TNPQ (temoporary not physically qualified) letter and besides asking for an updated DD 2808 and 2807-1 forms but a hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol) evaluation as well. I looked through the NAMI waiver guide and it says that hyperlipidemia is "not considered disqualifying." My question is why is N3M assking about it if it is not disqualifying.

exNavyOffRec

I read through my TNPQ (temoporary not physically qualified) letter and besides asking for an updated DD 2808 and 2807-1 forms but a hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol) evaluation as well. I looked through the NAMI waiver guide and it says that hyperlipidemia is "not considered disqualifying." My question is why is N3M assking about it if it is not disqualifying.

because you have to meet the requirements to be an officer, then NAMI comes into play.