• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Merged: Vermont ANG F-16 Pilot Grounded for Flyover Fenway

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If dash 4 had tried to do that maneuver in a Prowler we'd be hearing about how a jet departed and crashed in downtown Boston.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If dash 4 had tried to do that maneuver in a Prowler we'd be hearing about how a jet departed and crashed in downtown Boston.

Either that or taking off 7 feet of one wing when the pod came off. ;)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pure, unadulterated spin - laughable.
Absolutely! And I see things haven't changed much over the years.

The Air Force always severely planned. But when their over-planned-plans failed to materialize, they could never adequately adjust, and they usually failed, miserably.

In contrast, the Navy (and to throw a bone, the Marines too, I suppose ;) ) easily improvised, modified, and adjusted to whenever their original brief or plan failed (which they had already expected as a normal course of business, and intuitively knew how to compensate). It is in our training, our culture, and is what separates us from 'them'.

Regardless, you either fly over in formation together – or you don't …until you can. … announcers be damned.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None

The Air Force always severely planned. But when their over-planned-plans failed to materialize, they could never adequately adjust, and they usually failed, miserably.

In contrast, the Navy (and to throw a bone, the Marines too, I suppose ;) ) easily improvised, modified, and adjusted to whenever their original brief or plan failed (which they had already expected as a normal course of business, and intuitively knew how to compensate). It is in our training, our culture, and is what separates us from 'them'.

Regardless, you either fly over in formation together – or you don't …until you can. … announcers be damned.
It irritates the $hit out of me to see their PR people quibble about it. Just freaking admit that -4 did something he wasn't supposed to do and we would all forget about it since no mishaps occured.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
To the average person on the ground, that probably looked shit hot (although really strange).

There has to be more to the story, the whole div should/would've been hanging out in loose tac wing, and been joined up long before they were within sight of the field. Looked like dash three as well.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The flyby at the Phoenix NASCAR race was very tame. So much so that it occurred to me that the flight members were probably cautioned wrt this flyover. Good headwork for them to keep it solidly in the box this week, but it was pretty boring.

Better boring than to get unwanted GO level attention.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA

This is why I want to join the Navy, people I know want me to join the air force, never wanted to, never will.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None

Rep added. You have hit the nail on the head WRT to my personal hell! One full day of mission planning, one full day to execute the sortie, and one full day afterwards to debrief it ad nauseum...

On more than one occasion when the $h1t hit the fan in theater I'd slowly watch from the pilot's seat as the general calm of the awesomely over-planned sortie would slowly unravel. The Nav would start to twitch, tap his pencil quicker and develop a lip quiver... the mission commander would start snapping orders to his EWOs to break out differents checklists, SPINS, etc... When it all became too much for me, I'd just chime in with, "Crew, in light of the new situation we're going to go here and do this, with that, and instead of the one thing, we'll do this other instead". Pure cavalier Naval flight hours and training coming through.

You should've seen the looks on their faces. Doing something that wasn't briefed, planned, and collated, over and over again. Let alone the nerve of my making something up on the fly and having it succeed! Who did I think I was?!? Ruffled a lot of well groomed and blueprintedly arranged feathers.

hfrog84

Token Air Force (Viper) Guy
Token Air Force viper guy chiming in-- but I know of these things since my Vegas cover story 06 was that I was former T-Bird 5 :)

WOW! Hate second guessing dudes when I wasn't in the fight but that was either a very ill advised attempt at a late rejoin with poor closure management over show center or world class ass shining --think ya'll call it flat hatting. Very curious that the "rejoin" attempt happened over show center. hmmmmmm?

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Token Air Force viper guy chiming in-- but I know of these things since my Vegas cover story 06 was that I was former T-Bird 5 :)

As a close personal friend of hfrog he speaks the truth. It's a fact! He's still got the red g-suit to prove it... wait, maybe that's the prop for his other job... uh, nevermind that was Vegas 04, 07.

Everyone welcome hfrog, I asked him to join up and lend some Viper experience to the thread and group overall.

phrogpilot73

Everyone welcome hfrog, I asked him to join up and lend some Viper experience to the thread and group overall.
Crap. Another AF guy... Although by his admission - he did wear the pressed flight suit & ascot, so he can't deny it like Huggy and Hacker try to... Welcome aboard!