• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar Air Show

HuggyU2

None
OUTSTANDING Superhornet demonstration... since it had just rained plenty of moisture in the air for some good compression clouds and water vapor.

The same thing happened last year with the F-22 ... it was supposed to show up but never did. No explanation either. ... interesting.

Anyway, I noticed that the T-Birds weren't flying their maneuvers as "close to the crowd" if that makes any sense. It seemed to me that many of the Blues' manuevers were closer in, having the lead or opposing solo break almost over the crowd at certain points. Some of the formation stuff also seemed to be further out with the T-Birds. Can anyone confirm this?
SuperBug demo: I agree, most excellent. Being a bigger platform than the Viper or older Hornets sure helps, I think, but the BIG pitch changes going into the negative 3G jinks sure makes for a crowd pleaser. Was "Tina" Turner the demo pilot?

As for the F-22, New Orleans is their only October performance, according to numerous airshow websites. I see nothing about it coming to Miramar, even on the Miramar Airshow website: http://www.miramarairshow.com/schedule.htm

As for the T-Bird's show line: due to jet speeds, the FAA requires they use the "Cat III line", which is 1500' from the crowd, when they direct energy toward the crowd. I'm not sure, but if they're doing str-and-level, such as the opposing solo passes, I think they can use the Cat I line (500'). These lines apply to both the Blues and TBirds.
I wasn't there, so I can't comment on how far they actually were.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Just got back from it. It was a good show, but I was expecting more from the T-birds, but maybe it was the low ceiling, that and my expectations might be skewed since my last airshow was 15 years ago or more.
Highlights include joking with a SERE instructor (selling pizza) about SERE vs. consession stands, she said she would rather do SERE, and almost matching the record for pull ups at the Navy recruiting stand. I did 17 and the record was 20. I need to work on those more. Afterwards the 1rst class asked if I served, and I mentioned my Pro-Rec, and we talked a bit about that. Also, some rock punk oi guy got yelled at by a retired Marine at the Marine Aviation Heritage display next to a F-4. Im sun burned too.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
SuperBug demo: I agree, most excellent. Being a bigger platform than the Viper or older Hornets sure helps, I think, but the BIG pitch changes going into the negative 3G jinks sure makes for a crowd pleaser. Was "Tina" Turner the demo pilot?

As for the F-22, New Orleans is their only October performance, according to numerous airshow websites. I see nothing about it coming to Miramar, even on the Miramar Airshow website: http://www.miramarairshow.com/schedule.htm

As for the T-Bird's show line: due to jet speeds, the FAA requires they use the "Cat III line", which is 1500' from the crowd, when they direct energy toward the crowd. I'm not sure, but if they're doing str-and-level, such as the opposing solo passes, I think they can use the Cat I line (500'). These lines apply to both the Blues and TBirds.
I wasn't there, so I can't comment on how far they actually were.

Yes "Tina" Turner was the demo pilot...great demo.

Yeah originally the F-22 was set to fly on Friday only, but I think they removed it from the schedule... perhaps forgot to update the website.

Given that the above mentioned regulations are from the FAA I suppose the Blues have to abide by them as well... Do you know if they do any of their formation work closer to the crowd? ...perhaps you've had a similar observation from other performances. It seemed that the diamond maneveuvers were at a somewhat greater distance than stuff I've seen from the Blues.

HuggyU2

None
Given that the above mentioned regulations are from the FAA I suppose the Blues have to abide by them as well... Do you know if they do any of their formation work closer to the crowd? ...perhaps you've had a similar observation from other performances. It seemed that the diamond maneveuvers were at a somewhat greater distance than stuff I've seen from the Blues.
Generally, it seems the TBirds flew a bit higher. I never noticed them being further. But, since my friends brother was on the Blues for 3 years, and we travelled via T-38 to a lot of their shows, I've seen the Blues a bunch more than the T-Birds. And as such, I'm much more familiar with their show.
I would guess (and it's purely a guess) that the diamond is allowed to go to the Cat 1 line when going straight (like on the Blues' Double Farvel pass).

kejo

pilot
Question...I was mountain biking through Penosquitos canyon today (Sunday) and thought I saw a T-28 in formation with possibly a T-34B flying down over Miramar for the airshow. I would be psyched if it was a T-28 because I've never seen one that wasn't on a stick and they look like they were pretty badass to fly as a primary student. Am I correct?

HuggyU2

None
Sure, there are a bunch of T-28's still flying. I was the airshow announcer for the tiny Lincoln Airport Days last weekend here in Northern CA, and we had four T-28's. Chuck Wahl's T-28 is one of the finest out there:
http://www.cwahl.com/flying/t28/t28.htm
I got a 40 minute flight in a T-28 at the Pensacola Airshow a few years back: great fun. They go faster than I ever expected, too.
Budd Davvison is a widely respected pilot (and master of landing the Pitts), and here's what he thinks:
http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepT-28C.html

invertedflyer

Question...I was mountain biking through Penosquitos canyon today (Sunday) and thought I saw a T-28 in formation with possibly a T-34B flying down over Miramar for the airshow. I would be psyched if it was a T-28 because I've never seen one that wasn't on a stick and they look like they were pretty badass to fly as a primary student. Am I correct?

I know there was a T-28 static display and T-34A static display. Depending on what time of day you saw them , they may have been departing the area and going home.

I would guess (and it's purely a guess) that the diamond is allowed to go to the Cat 1 line when going straight (like on the Blues' Double Farvel pass).

That makes more sense. I've also seen the Blues much more than the T-birds (as the T-birds usually only fly at the March ARB air show, which is every two years, and the Edwards AFB airshow which is a bit of a drive). If they used the Cat 1 line for their diamond work then that would explain the disparity I observed. Thanks for your input!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah..once again the weather was too shitty for fast movers during the MAGTF demo...Still friggin awesome though. Seeing the Tbirds reminded me why I like the blue angels so much more...I just wasnt impressed with their show. the cockpit cams were pretty cool though.

Anyone catch the twilight show when the Hornet lost its AI during the afterburner passes? Got a chuckle out of that.

Great show though. I always leave Miramar impressed!

invertedflyer

yeah..once again the weather was too shitty for fast movers during the MAGTF demo...Still friggin awesome though. Seeing the Tbirds reminded me why I like the blue angels so much more...I just wasnt impressed with their show. the cockpit cams were pretty cool though.

Anyone catch the twilight show when the Hornet lost its AI during the afterburner passes? Got a chuckle out of that.

Great show though. I always leave Miramar impressed!

Yeah I was there for that. I was severely disappointed, given that the aircraft was a F/A-18D from VMFA-221 it was set to be the coolest part of the night show. At least the takeoff was pretty cool looking.

Actually, while we're talking about that airspeed indicator problem, can any pilots chime in on this? Isn't there redundancy in the cockpit for the airspeed indicator? If the external pitot tube on the aircraft was damaged would it stop info from going to the analog gauge and the HUD? Or do they draw their inputs from seperate sources? (also would the WSO lose his airspeed?) I don't know much about F/A-18 avionics. Perhaps the air show announcer didn't give us all the info... I was just glad to see him return safely and execute a normal landing.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Yeah I was there for that. I was severely disappointed, given that the aircraft was a F/A-18D from VMFA-221 it was set to be the coolest part of the night show. At least the takeoff was pretty cool looking.

Actually, while we're talking about that attitude indicator problem, can any pilots chime in on this? Isn't there redundancy in the cockpit for the AI? If the external pitot tube on the aircraft was damaged would it stop info from going to the analog gauge and the HUD? Or do they draw their inputs from seperate sources? (also would the WSO lose his AI?) I don't know much about F/A-18 avionics. Perhaps the air show announcer didn't give us all the info... I was just glad to see him return safely and execute a normal landing.

Actually..it was the Airspeed Indicator...my fault since I did use the perscribed initials for the attitude indicator.

invertedflyer

hehe thats what i meant since i mentioned the pitot tube... too many acronyms these days... consider that last post edited ;)

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Look, hornet guys are total HUD cripples. If that thing is even the slightest big different they declare an emergency. I'm sure that guy was freaking out about losing the AI even though he's got like 10 systems backing him up with help.

invertedflyer

The announcer did make an obscure reference to some kind of regulation (I'm assuming FAA) not allowing him to continue. Do you think it was the actual regulation, Squadron SOP, or the pilot's decision? Maybe a combination?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
The announcer did make an obscure reference to some kind of regulation (I'm assuming FAA) not allowing him to continue. Do you think it was the actual regulation, Squadron SOP, or the pilot's decision? Maybe a combination?

He also mentioned that the big reason was that the pilot wouldnt know when he was approaching Mach during the afterburner passes.