• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Never lost....

JIMMY

raptor, even though that sign says CA on the bottom... thats pretty bad imagery... oregon women... naked....beyond this point:hypnotize

well, ive lived in SOCAL my whole life... so i have high expectations ;).

-jP

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go chat up a chap of mine from the UK...Clyve Baylis...he flew an exchange tour in Tomcats with me in the states. He was a SHAR by trade.

Go ahead VIF away...a harrier was always an easy kill in my book.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why not RN?
Could be RN ... but using deductive reasoning (i.e., reasoning from cause to effect :)) :

Post #1 (GR7), post #5 (RAF squadron crest), post # 7 ... knowledge of Falklands shootdowns (remember -- some of my STUDs were on the "other" side) ... deduction again ... process of elimination.

*Sigh* .... eddie, eddie, eddie .....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Could be RN ... but using deductive reasoning (i.e., reasoning from cause to effect :)) :

Post #1 (GR7), post #5 (RAF squadron crest), post # 7 ... knowledge of Falklands shootdowns (remember -- some of my STUDs were on the "other" side) ... deduction again ... process of elimination.

D'oh!!

Posts 1 and 5; the evidence is undeniable. Post 7: I can't remember who bagged Mirages...

'Twas late, and I lazy. Lack of awareness and complacency makes you dead!! :eek:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Ok I'll start off with a welcome to the site I have never met a Brit pilot who wasnt a great guy to get a beer with. I will let all the fighter types argue this one out but I will leave you with the fact that even I have beaten a Harrier but since none of it ws real and it is all basically conjecture does it really count.

I'll be wating at 300 AGL for anyone who wants to come play.

If by "Beaten" you mean avoided the kill, I'll buy that.

Wow. I go away for a little over a week and I miss one of the great chances to flame both sides of an argument.

Just back from the boat (SOCEX evaluator and LSO refresh). MEU looking good, nobody scared me behind the boat, they shall pass.

Anyway, this guy sounds real. I won't tell you why until he can answer the following question:

@Pooch: Where is "Parts" flying?

If he knows that, he's real.

As far as the Harrier in air-to-air goes, be careful who you talk about. With USMC Harriers, you're mostly correct. We spend very little time doing it, overall. I've killed a few Hornets, Vipers, and F-5s, but mostly I post-holed, bugged, and waited for the cavalry. I've obviously taken several shots for the team in the process. Not our main mission by a long shot.

With RAF and RN (and Italian/Spanish as well) Harriers (FA2 and GR7), it's a totally different deal. Those guys spend much more time in the cockpit, have far fewer restrictions to realistic training, and can really move the jet. In the case of the FA2, their radar is pretty nice as well. Their piloting skills are second to none.

You know where I stand. If you Hornet guys want to go 1v1, I'll take the bet out of pride alone. If you want to have a bombing derby, I'll take the bet and start making plans for your money. It's like clubbing baby seals.

HD/out

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
You know where I stand. If you Hornet guys want to go 1v1, I'll take the bet out of pride alone. If you want to have a bombing derby, I'll take the bet and start making plans for your money. It's like clubbing baby seals.

HD/out

Your last statement reminds me of an (off topic) picture I once saw...

Attachments

• Alaska3.jpg
    Alaska3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 54

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Post #5 is a is a good indicator that he might be RAF but the RN and RAF Harrier pilots have become pretty mixed lately, especially with the RN's retiring Sea Harriers this March. The RN flies GR7's now:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2369

The two RN squadrons flying (or soon to be flying) the GR7 and GR9.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5618

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2291

As for the kills in the Falklands, the vast majority were by Sea Harrier pilots with AIM-9L's. This appears to be a pretty accurate listing all the Argentine losses in the Falklands:

http://www.naval-history.net/F64argaircraftlost.htm

Another link "the Sea Harriers claimed twenty-four kills with no losses in air combat":

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2006/801sqn/801sqn.htm

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Post #5 is a is a good indicator that he might be RAF but the RN and RAF Harrier pilots have become pretty mixed lately, .....As for the kills in the Falklands, the vast majority were by Sea Harrier pilots with AIM-9L's. This appears to be a pretty accurate listing all the Argentine losses in the Falklands....
Right ... got it all. Thanks.

But we're not talkin' "lately" ... we're talkin' over 24 years ago.

And I'm conversant with the Argentine losses ... as 3 of them were my "boys" ... STUDs, good men, good sticks. It still pains me to see their names listed .... useless deaths.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
raptor, even though that sign says CA on the bottom... thats pretty bad imagery... oregon women... naked....beyond this point:hypnotize

well, ive lived in SOCAL my whole life... so i have high expectations ;).

-jP

Oregon women are hot...and friendly...with the exception of Eugene. I think you were sheltered...;)