• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next SECNAV - A Naval Aviator?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
i think the junior congressman joe sestak (d-pa) would have been a better pick, imo. Recently retired 3 star admiral, also a swo, and former desron 14 commander. But, he spoke at a fundraiser for some group that was "said" to have ties to hamas and he’s a volatile person (some say like john mccain), reasons why i believe he probably wasn’t mention. Other then that, he would have been a perfect fit. Seen him on cable news today.

no!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
His picture from the past SWO days:
LtjgMabus.jpg

Maybe he'll bring the beard back as a Navy Tradition!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Is that in regs?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the junior Congressman Joe Sestak (D-PA) would have been a better pick, IMO. Recently retired 3 star Admiral, also a SWO, and former DESRON 14 commander. But, he spoke at a fundraiser for some group that was "said" to have ties to Hamas and he’s a volatile person (some say like John McCain), reasons why I believe he probably wasn’t mention. Other then that, he would have been a perfect fit. Seen him on cable news today.

Representative Sestak retired as a Rear Admiral because he did not have the minimum time required in service to be approved by Congress to retire as a Vice Admiral. This was because he was relieved of his three-star billet the day that ADM Mullen became CNO, who is now CJCS.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is not common to have former flag/general officers as service secretaries, for good reason. The SECNAV is not supposed to be a military commander and while military experience is a good thing, a former FO/GO might be tempted to 'command' versus manage.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the junior Congressman Joe Sestak (D-PA) would have been a better pick, IMO. Recently retired 3 star Admiral, also a SWO, and former DESRON 14 commander. But, he spoke at a fundraiser for some group that was "said" to have ties to Hamas and he’s a volatile person (some say like John McCain), reasons why I believe he probably wasn’t mention. Other then that, he would have been a perfect fit. Seen him on cable news today.
Congressman Sestak has an evil reputation on the hill and in the military, from what I've heard. That may have played a part, too.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennsyltucky/2007/09/joe_sestaks_ship_takes_on_wate.html

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Any talk on why him not having the resume was not mentioned as a hurdle?

Seriously, other than being buddies with Obama from Harvard, there is nothing on his list of accomplishments that screams future "SECNAV".

He is a lawyer, a 1 term state rep, and a 1 hitch Navy Pilot. He is obviously very smart and accomplished compared to 90% of the population, but his resume is really thin compared to Penn and Malbus.

I don't disgree.

England, Danzig and Dalton were picked...check their resumes. I wonder what the competition looked like back then if they were the best available.

Juan will show up somewhere. He is good at that.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that in regs?

It was back in the day. Sailors used to wear facial hair to include goatees, van dykes, and full beards, but I heard some Admiral's wife didn't like beards and in the Mid-80's the Navy Regs were changed to remove beards.

-ea6bflyr ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
but I heard some Admiral's wife didn't like beards and in the Mid-80's the Navy Regs were changed to remove beards.

-ea6bflyr ;)
Someone needs to compile a list of asinine regulations which supposedly originated not with the Base CO/Region CO/[fill in senior officer here], but with their wife.

Seriously. It seems like the urban legend which explains the origin of every asinine, annoying regulation starts with a henpecked O-6+. :icon_tong

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously. It seems like the urban legend which explains the origin of every asinine, annoying regulation starts with a henpecked O-6+. :icon_tong

Classic example would be B-29s flying out Japan during Korean War that revived nose art only to get censored by henpecked 0-6+ so overnight bikinis and other "coverups" began to appear on all the classic heavenly bodies.

b29luckylady72.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was always told the facial hair regs were for ensuring seals on NBC gear and O2 masks. Why this would have changed in the 1980s, or why the Navy, which seldom uses gas masks would change, or why many of our allies apparently have beard-compatible gas masks, I don't know.

Service Sec positions are largely patronage positions. I personally would expect them to have military experience, but that unfortunately doesn't always happen. Some of the assistant sec positions have professionals, though. Sort of like State. The ambassador wrote a campaign check to get his job attending cocktail parties. The deputy and attaches are career professionals.