• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Noise complaints

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Loudest engine on the flight deck today .... P408 installed in the Prowler.

The title used to default to the A-6 with P-8's .... and as there were many, many more bombers than the 4 plane EA-6 squadron could put up ... the "honor" went to the Intruders. :)

From an LSO's standpoint ....

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
This article applies to commercial aircraft and landing noise, but I thought it was interesting.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/15778115.htm

As jetliners descend, so will their volume
CONTROLLERS TEST GLIDING DOWN FOR QUIETER AIRPORT LANDINGS
By Katherine Corcoran
Mercury News
Imagine a 400,000-pound, wide-body Boeing 777 gliding over the Peninsula into San Francisco International Airport.

On a recent overnight flight from Honolulu, United Airlines Flight 76 did just that, sailing overhead from the coast to the Dumbarton Bridge at idle thrust using mostly gravity, not mechanical brakes, to cut speed for landing.

For everyone snug in their beds in Woodside, Portola Valley and Atherton, it meant no noise complaints that August morning.

For researchers at San Francisco International Airport, NASA/Ames Research Center, Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration, it means the wave of the future in air traffic control: an aircraft descent pattern generated by computer and flown on autopilot. Researchers say the technology is cleaner, quieter and more fuel-efficient than traditional manual landings.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I agree that the Prowler is loud, I think the effect of the C-5's engine noise and the loss of daylight, when that aluminum overcast, flies over their house would be hard to beat. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that.:D

I beg to disagree, the C-5 has airliner engines and is not all that loud in comparison to the mighty flying drumstick. Plus, the C-5 does not do FCLP's, which just makes the engine noise worse.......this coming from someone who used to run on the west beach road at Whidbey in the evenings.....;)

TuxFlier

If they got that worked up over C-130's, I'd love to arrange for a C-5 to make an approach. That would be worth the price of admission.

Forget the C-5.... how about a B-1B with all four of its burners going.

I was working on a paper for my masters degree about hearing protection in aviation, and if I remember correctly the Prowler was loudest aircraft in the DoD inventory second only to the B-1

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

I was working on a paper for my masters degree about hearing protection in aviation, and if I remember correctly the Prowler was loudest aircraft in the DoD inventory second only to the B-1

So what exactly is it that makes 'er a screamer?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what exactly is it that makes 'er a screamer?

For starters, the J52 is a pure turbojet - no bypass flow. Second, the front end compressor blades are fairly close to the intake. A good deal of the noise actually comes out the front end.

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For starters, the J52 is a pure turbojet - no bypass flow. Second, the front end compressor blades are fairly close to the intake. A good deal of the noise actually comes out the front end.

Brett

Was there any talk of going to a turbofan. Im guesssing the engine is designed for low level performance over high alt fuel efficiency, I dont think you guys do too much of that anymore?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was there any talk of going to a turbofan. Im guesssing the engine is designed for low level performance over high alt fuel efficiency, I dont think you guys do too much of that anymore?

Low levels - are you kidding? We do lots of that. At any rate, there's no reason for us to be up in the stratosphere either, so no TF type engine in our future, especially for a legacy airframe that's going to be gone in the next 5-6 years. With the exception of the 4.5 bearing issues of a few years ago, the J52 has been a pretty solid motor for us and has pretty respectable thrust for a non-AB configuration. If you get rid of all the pods and stores, the Prowler is actually a pretty zippy jet.

Brett

Lawman

None

Ill agree with Tux on this one, nothing on this Earth is louder then a Bone with all 4 blowers lit. They had one doing low level passes at the Dayton Air Show a few years back, apparently they got in trouble for generated noise level over the crowd.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

How old is said study? I thought I read somewhere that people up here (Whidbey) were concerned about noise levels from the Shocker, since the basic Rhino with F414 is louder than the Prowler. The article stated that it would be even worse than a Rhino, since the G model would have to be higher up on the power than an E/F in the pattern with all the drag from the pods. Anyone have an educated opinion on if this is valid or just scaremongering?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How old is said study? I thought I read somewhere that people up here (Whidbey) were concerned about noise levels from the Shocker, since the basic Rhino with F414 is louder than the Prowler. The article stated that it would be even worse than a Rhino, since the G model would have to be higher up on the power than an E/F in the pattern with all the drag from the pods. Anyone have an educated opinion on if this is valid or just scaremongering?

Having stood on the flight line numerous times just feet from several Hornets running up their engines, I believe Prowlers are definitely louder. The 408 has a higher pitch than the 404/414 engines and the sound is more effective at piercing one's helmet. The noise coming out a Bug is deeper and much more tolerable, at least to me.

It was the same thing with the T-37 Tweet, those little bastards had tiny engines that had such a high pitch it drove you insane :eek: (this from personal experience living on base at Randolph). If I never see one of those evil little planes again it will be too soon.

East

东部
Contributor
It was the same thing with the T-37 Tweet, those little bastards had tiny engines that had such a high pitch it drove you insane :eek: (this from personal experience living on base at Randolph). If I never see one of those evil little planes again it will be too soon.

IT'S CALLED THE FUEL-TO-NOISE CONVERTER

Attachments

• Tweet.jpg
    Tweet.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 82

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Alright...maybe its me...but I seem to remember that one of the turbojets main weaknesses was poor low altitude performance...long takeoff rolls etc. Wouldn't the turbofan be a help at low altitudes? Like I said...it may be me...what the hell would I know, I just fly the Turboweenie.;) :D