• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Noise complaints

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright...maybe its me...but I seem to remember that one of the turbojets main weaknesses was poor low altitude performance...long takeoff rolls etc. Wouldn't the turbofan be a help at low altitudes? Like I said...it may be me...what the hell would I know, I just fly the Turboweenie.;) :D

I'm no engineer, I just know the J52 works great on the deck.

@ Nittany: I think most of the noise issues around Whidbey are from pattern work and FCLPs, so I don't think the Gs are going to be in burner during that phase of flight. I imagine they light the cans for T/O, but the Prowler is still so fvcking loud in that regime, I can't see there being much difference. I presume the locals are just engaging in uninformed hand wringing.

BTW, I'm looking at a June class-up date at 129 for my CAT III and a triumphant return to my beloved Prowler. :D

Brett

Lawman

None
I'm no engineer, I just know the J52 works great on the deck.

@ Nittany: I think most of the noise issues around Whidbey are from pattern work and FCLPs, so I don't think the Gs are going to be in burner during that phase of flight. I imagine they light the cans for T/O, but the Prowler is still so fvcking loud in that regime, I can't see there being much difference. I presume the locals are just engaging in uninformed hand wringing.

BTW, I'm looking at a June class-up date at 129 for my CAT III and a triumphant return to my beloved Prowler. :D

Brett

Dang Brett, keep this up and you might actually get sea time before I do.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

No career enhancing disassociated tour? Or is that what you're doing now?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It was the same thing with the T-37 Tweet, those little bastards had tiny engines that had such a high pitch it drove you insane :eek: (this from personal experience living on base at Randolph). If I never see one of those evil little planes again it will be too soon.

Isn't that the truth. There were two at Gainesville the other day while I was there and they were making a racket just taxiing out. I could barely hear the briefer when talking to FSS...from inside the FBO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No career enhancing disassociated tour? Or is that what you're doing now?

Super JO is the preferred way to go for ACTC Level V folks in my community. I'm lucky to have snagged a billet, being out of NATOPS qual as I am. Helps to have friends in high places. :D

Brett

wrk

A V-22.

You weren't the guy who called the airport, were you?:icon_wink

Sorry, late to the whole thing. A V-22 caused a noise complaint? I was at Amarillo and saw one flying around in the pattern and it was incredibly quiet. Of course, there was a C-5 in the pattern so it could have just been quieter by comparison. But in some of the V-22 propaganda I've read it says that it's 80 times quieter than a 53, and I've always heard that they're very quiet, with the nacelles forward and all, with the low prop RPM.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry, late to the whole thing. A V-22 caused a noise complaint? I was at Amarillo and saw one flying around in the pattern and it was incredibly quiet. Of course, there was a C-5 in the pattern so it could have just been quieter by comparison. But in some of the V-22 propaganda I've read it says that it's 80 times quieter than a 53, and I've always heard that they're very quiet, with the nacelles forward and all, with the low prop RPM.

It is very quiet in airplane mode, but once you tip the nacelles up to conversion or VTOL mode, it's pretty noisy. The idea is that you'll be almost on top of Abdul before you convert and give yourself away. The noise problem wasn't so much in the pattern, but on the area around final, where we were low with high nacelle settings.

Chubby

On a side note, I saw one of those bad boys take off out of McCain the other day ... pretty cool sight to behold.

tiger84

LT
pilot
I was at work today when our building was buzzed by two 18s working the pattern at Scottsdale Airport. They were probably at about 1000' AGL or so, but the noise was still impressive. Some of my coworkers looked less than pleased, but I just sat there with a big, dumb grin on my face. If the Prowler's really that loud I'd love to hear it during a low level.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....people up here (Whidbey) were concerned about noise levels from the Shocker... (is) this is valid or just scaremongering?

Whidbey anti-military bias ... I've been involved with this on Whidbey re: NAS/OLF/low levels --- on the civilian side since 1994 and military side since the early '70's .... and there remains a small but vocal core of burned-out '60's hippies and present day Birkenstock elitist cranks who will ALWAYS criticize everything and ANYTHING that pertains to the military.

And I think they reproduce.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whidbey anti-military bias ... I've been involved with this on Whidbey re: NAS/OLF/low levels --- on the civilian side since 1994 and military side since the early '70's .... and there remains a small but vocal core of burned-out '60's hippies and present day Birkenstock elitist cranks who will ALWAYS criticize everything and ANYTHING that pertains to the military.

And I think they reproduce.
Not surprised . . . I drove by a crowd of them the other day with their "anti-war"/"Bush is EEEEEEEVIL!" signs on my way to the ferry. Hopefully it's too cold for self-important public rage now.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super JO is the preferred way to go for ACTC Level V folks in my community. I'm lucky to have snagged a billet, being out of NATOPS qual as I am. Helps to have friends in high places. :D

Brett

Lucky......(insert best Napoleon Dynamite voice here)

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Ill agree with Tux on this one, nothing on this Earth is louder then a Bone with all 4 blowers lit. They had one doing low level passes at the Dayton Air Show a few years back, apparently they got in trouble for generated noise level over the crowd.

I think the concorde would give it a run for the money. Especially on the landing roll with the thrust reversers. It was doing $800/seat half-hour supersonic rides at oshkosh a few years ago. If I remember right they had to go to canada for the supersonic portion of the flight. Anyway, I'd swear there was an earthquake by the way the ground was shaking. I wasn't anywhere near the flightline at the time either.

But then we were talking about military airplanes... XB-70, anyone?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I was always under the impression that the Harrier was about the loudest thing out there. I remember seeing one at an airshow and thinking that the hype might have been right.

So Harrier vs. Prowler???

Prowlers are louder, but you hear our noise longer on final due to slower approach speeds. I've heard a Rhino take off in blower and I think that might be louder still, but needless to say, they're all loud.

I was talking to a congressman in Cherry Point (PRCP) once and asked him to introduce a bill that said, in effect "If you're complaining about the noise from an airport that's been there longer than your house, GO FVCK YOURSELF and you have ZERO right to any compensation".

Still waiting for that to happen.