• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I like carrying my own headset so I don't have a boom mic that 20 other pilots have been slobbering on... gross.

Work issued me an A-20 for my flights in non-ejection seat aircraft. It's a great headset. I also use a DC one X pro for private GA flying, and it's another great ANC option.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My airline left old WW II style hard plastic headphones in the plane and you had to use the hand mic.. I used a single molded ear piece with hand mic for many years, then the light small Plantronics molded headset. Finished with the DC One X Pro. Very nice. wish I had done it earlier. Now used in my Luscombe. Size of the A20 was a no go for me. Enough crap to carry especially if an FFDO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The A20 has given me a hot-spot underneath the hinge point after about 20 minutes every time I've used them. I've worn them when catching a ride in someone else's plane to go pick up my plane, so the sets were backups and probably pretty new. This is apparently a common problem with some people, and some have said it does improve as the spring wears in at the hinge point. I've also read that those that have the hot-spot find the Zulus to be more comfortable.

I'd like to try a Zulu headset, but haven't yet. And probably don't want to because I don't want to spend the money on something that's probably better than my 20+ year-old DC 10-13.4 that I use. But that 13.4 is still going strong.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The A20 has given me a hot-spot underneath the hinge point after about 20 minutes every time I've used them. I've worn them when catching a ride in someone else's plane to go pick up my plane, so the sets were backups and probably pretty new. This is apparently a common problem with some people, and some have said it does improve as the spring wears in at the hinge point. I've also read that those that have the hot-spot find the Zulus to be more comfortable.

I'd like to try a Zulu headset, but haven't yet. And probably don't want to because I don't want to spend the money on something that's probably better than my 20+ year-old DC 10-13.4 that I use. But that 13.4 is still going strong.
If you are using a standard aviation headset I strongly recommend adding a CEP kit with “big ears” inserts. It is almost like flying with ANR at a substantial savings. I use them with my heli helmet.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

I will do it…and I will wear my 1861 Moonwatch on its Omega NASA strap…because it’s a proven PT watch and watch strap!

FWIW, I’m an unofficial PT wear tester SME…below is a pic from a few minutes ago…sweating my ass off in my AOCS BATT I replica t-shirt that I had custom made for the 2019 AOCS reunion. It’s a ridiculously thick 100% cotton and it’s horrible for any kind of PT…it’s too freaking hot…and I know this because I’m an unofficial PT wear tester SME!

7E9380BB-B9F3-44A2-9E91-1FF50D661653.jpeg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you are using a standard aviation headset I strongly recommend adding a CEP kit with “big ears” inserts. It is almost like flying with ANR at a substantial savings. I use them with my heli helmet.

I tried them once in the Navy and I just didn't care for them. The foamies always worked well for me and I was religious about wearing them. I'm not sure I would have even been able to understand the radios in the -60B without some sort of passive filter in my ear, they were that bad.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Too bad, but it was bound to happen. I think the helicopter industry is headed for a blog slow down.

The traditional helicopter industry, maybe. UAS will take over a lot of the observation-type utility tasks, like power line patrol, and eventually some police work.

Large civil helicopters will continue at their current very low production rates, since nothing will really replace them.

The short-range urban stuff will switch to electrified solutions.

The helicopter industry will do fine. It just won’t look like what it used to.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The traditional helicopter industry, maybe. UAS will take over a lot of the observation-type utility tasks, like power line patrol, and eventually some police work.

Large civil helicopters will continue at their current very low production rates, since nothing will really replace them.

I think this ^^^^ is a good analysis. I have friends who fly utility patrols and they are just waiting for the end while I know another who used to fly tuna patrol and he was replaced by a UAS (large quadcopter) two years ago. Agribusiness will go to UAS soon enough and, as you note, the urban transport business is already changing and I imagine the tourism business will quickly follow. The medical types will be fine as will the heavy lift pilots. To me the issue is not the machine, but the pilots. With utility and similar jobs fading where will people go to get the 1500 plus hours required to fly an air ambulance? Flight instructing to that number of hours is a long slog and most of that time, if not all, will be in piston machines.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Per @Griz882, ag spray helo operators are quickly being sidelined. I know of two that wont be coming back this season in plains/midwest - Bell 206 cant complete with latest sUAS application technology.

True helicopters can make $ at moving people and heavy things/water. (for now) KMAX, while awesome, there is still lots of older aircraft out there.

Last edited:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Per @Griz882, ag spray helo operators are quickly being sidelined. I know of two that wont be coming back this season in plains/midwest - Bell 206 cant complete with latest sUAS application technology.

True helicopters can make $ at moving people and heavy things/water. (for now) KMAX, while awesome, there is still lots of older aircraft out there.
That’s the thing, though—there are very few operators with the need and money to do that.

Offshore has gotten a little stronger lately, but electrification (of cars) will make that relatively short-lived.

Airframes last so long, the number of new medium+ helos (10 pax or more) privately bought each year is usually less than about a dozen, worldwide. That excludes the ones sold to a local retailer in a country then immediately resold to the government.

The only types in that class that will survive are the ones that also serve government markets.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am not a very skilled modeler - but I really enjoy assembling models - just not finishing/painting, etc.

to wit, I completed the Tamiya F-35A in 1/48 scale and its a beautiful model - highly detailed with a ton of cool features, weapon load outs, etc. If you are a model nerd, this is the one for you!

1677870730977.png

1677870756493.png