• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Always fun flying parallel to a progressing cold front! Thankfully here in flatland states, MEA/MVA's of 3000' or less make IFR possible staying below freezing level.

1GO (Toledo area) to home plate last night

View attachment 37738
Nice pic. I’ve done a lot of SVFR in the Griz-O-Copter and have to say that it is nice to be able to slow way down when it is needed!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nice pic. I’ve done a lot of SVFR in the Griz-O-Copter and have to say that it is nice to be able to slow way down when it is needed!

For the last week, N. FL has been sitting in a large moist pocket, and usually by 2am the fog/mist would reach critical mass to shut everything down. Last night, it just couldn't quite come together and the result was the full-on milk bowl effect.

What made it more weird was that aided, you were still IMC, but could see. Unaided, because of the super-hi light moon, there was no sky, there was no ground, there was no horizon...just a bright nothing with lights scattered on the ground. It was like a photo negative of what it's like at sea on deployment with no moon.

Coming back to base, I was talking with the crew trying to figure out what the actual legality was. The weather everywhere was reporting VFR. We we were meeting Class E and Part 135 Class G mins. But we were still IMC while aided. It was just a topic of conversation versus an actual concern, but it was an interesting condition to be flying through.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I did not make it to Heli Expo this year - which returned to Hot-lanta! Enjoy a video of the aircraft arrivals to downtown heliport - where these aircraft would be towed into the convention center. My old program sent the spare H145 from University of Cincinnati Medical Center - at the request of Airbus. Notice the Boeing 324 Commercial Chinook by Columbia - and the Restricted Category commercial CH-47D. And of course I know @Griz882 salivating at the Enstrom action! @Gatordev eyeing his next career move with the influx of commercial UH-60A's :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For the last week, N. FL has been sitting in a large moist pocket, and usually by 2am the fog/mist would reach critical mass to shut everything down. Last night, it just couldn't quite come together and the result was the full-on milk bowl effect.

What made it more weird was that aided, you were still IMC, but could see. Unaided, because of the super-hi light moon, there was no sky, there was no ground, there was no horizon...just a bright nothing with lights scattered on the ground. It was like a photo negative of what it's like at sea on deployment with no moon.

Coming back to base, I was talking with the crew trying to figure out what the actual legality was. The weather everywhere was reporting VFR. We we were meeting Class E and Part 135 Class G mins. But we were still IMC while aided. It was just a topic of conversation versus an actual concern, but it was an interesting condition to be flying through.
I get it! Departing 1GO monday night, 007 BKN and 2 SM - the flight director is a savior for a departure like this. Takeoff in GA (Go Around) with V bars at 10 degrees, rotate into V-bars. Then once flaps up and established in 85 KIAS climb and trimmed, right hand goes and selects FLC and HDG - then its just fly the command bars through the deep clouds and precip - then 1000' AGL, select AP and go back to admin of after-takeoff checklist. Its a procedure practiced but rarely needed. This night I needed! Big stress / workload reducer. G1000 system in the mighty Cessna is a pretty decent "all-weather" piece of gear.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I get it! Departing 1GO monday night, 007 BKN and 2 SM

That's what made it more bizarre. The weather was CLR everywhere. Not a cloud in the sky.

Reconditioned UH-60A.

Needs more sensor turrets. If you don't have a HCU for each hand, plus one for your foot, it's not enough.

I can't remember if it was XP for sure, but I think that's the same company that owned (or still owns) the -60 that showed up in UKR a couple of weeks ago.

hscs

pilot
The bike or the helo?

Is that a bike rack?

That FLIR is just asking to get ripped off on an unprepared landing and take the radar with it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The bike or the helo?

Is that a bike rack?

That FLIR is just asking to get ripped off on an unprepared landing and take the radar with it.

I'm just really curious if there's a FLIR on the starboard side, too. Maybe they could put one in the hell-hole, also.

That radar is interesting. It looks like they basically took the Seahawk diving board design and bolted the radar on top of it. I would be interested to know how it holds up in vibration over time, sitting way out there like that.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I did not make it to Heli Expo this year - which returned to Hot-lanta! Enjoy a video of the aircraft arrivals to downtown heliport - where these aircraft would be towed into the convention center. My old program sent the spare H145 from University of Cincinnati Medical Center - at the request of Airbus. Notice the Boeing 324 Commercial Chinook by Columbia - and the Restricted Category commercial CH-47D. And of course I know @Griz882 salivating at the Enstrom action! @Gatordev eyeing his next career move with the influx of commercial UH-60A's :)
If I ever go turbine (and I might still) I’d be limited to six seats because of Basic Med. That means the largest ship I could fly would be an old UH-1B/C then a Jet Ranger X, 206, or EC-120B. At the small end there is the 500 and the 480B. The Enstrom (480B) is sold as a 5 seat helicopter but in truth it isn’t if you are flying more than a half-hour. The wise choice would be an Enstrom or 500 for fuel burn followed by the 206. If I had money to melt away I’d go ahead and get a -1B, paint it up like a Vietnam gunship, and fly it around to air shows!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just because you can hang it on the helicopter, doesn’t mean you should. Much like an AR-15 rail system, or a 4x4 prepper truck…..just stop.
1678398395011.jpeg
1678398638870.jpeg