• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
?

How did that work? The Pave Low went away in 2008 but the Marine Ds went away in 2012. Or did the AF have another model?
I‘m assuming it went both ways. There were only 3 D squadrons left in the late 2000’s and I think at least a few of the HMH’s transitioned from D to E in the 80’s, so there must have been plenty for the AF to canny before the Pave Low’s retired.

In 2010 we were cannying the freshly retired Pave Lows, IIRC for tail gear boxes and the like. I think the Pave Low’s had titanium reinforcement added in the tail that there was talk of harvesting before they committed to retiring the D.

I dropped one off at AMARG after EMV in 2011; there were still quite a few complete ones. The deployed birds at Bastion were among the last to go. Each of the Hawaii squadrons just flew their planes to AMARG before their last deployment. There was one D hulk sitting just off the Bastion flight line with irreparable frame corrosion near the piss tube. They finally chopped it up and let folks claim parts of the airframe.

Germany just did a mid-life modernization of their CH-53G’s around 2020, so I imagine the AMARG planes were put to some use.

number9

Contributor
I was reading Proceedings from a couple of months ago and they had an interesting article about the future of amphibious aircraft. I spotted this guy and thought "Huh, I've never seen an amphibious turbofan-powered aircraft before". The Beriev Be-200:

MChS_Beriev_Be-200_waterbomber.jpg

I thought it must be the only amphib turbofan in the world. But it's not even the only amphib turbofan made by this company! They also make the A-40:

Beriev_A-40_Gelendzhik_2Sept2004.jpg

That thing gives off serious "ekranoplan" vibes

ColGrog

Looks good, but I have to say I'm skeptical until I see and new CAPR 39-1 or an ICL. But I've seen a few otherwise illustrations and this us by far one if the better and more official looking one's. But something that intrigues me is that Wing / Region patch wear is mandatory on ABUs but you have squadron patchs on the OCP illustration? Which I don't think is a bad thing but will be interesting to see implementation as not all units haves patches, and it that stays will be interesting to see it addressed in the reg in relation to the Wing patch.

Walt6541

Looks good, but I have to say I'm skeptical until I see and new CAPR 39-1 or an ICL. But I've seen a few otherwise illustrations and this us by far one if the better and more official looking one's. But something that intrigues me is that Wing / Region patch wear is mandatory on ABUs but you have squadron patchs on the OCP illustration? Which I don't think is a bad thing but will be interesting to see implementation as not all units haves patches, and it that stays will be interesting to see it addressed in the reg in relation to the Wing patch.
Wing patches are optional unless the wing mandates them. We don't here in MAWG.

Agreed on the ICL/39-1 bit. I think Chuck was referencing DAF/CAP-USAF approval which from my understanding of scuttlebutt has been the biggest hurdle for the CAP OCPs. I'm just stoked progress is being made. I hate the grey abortion known as ABU.

Walt6541

You're singing music to my ears, Chuck!! Here's hoping the formal announcement from Maxwell comes soon. A former cadet of mine who is now an AF 2ndLt gifted me a full set so I'm nearly ready to go.