• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

MasterBates

Great video.
From an engineering standpoint you have to appreciate the A-4. Just what you need to get the job done and no extra, no frilly crap.

I liked Ed Heinemann's design philosophy. I had a Machine Design prof that used the A-4 as a teaching tool. And I was the only one of the unwashed in my class that KNEW WHAT THE HELL AN A-4 WAS! :eek:

brownshoe

Contributor
Yep!

Great video.
From an engineering standpoint you have to appreciate the A-4. Just what you need to get the job done and no extra, no frilly crap.

Yep… Dirt simple and what a plane. She was fun to work on too, no frills. You could break that ‘baby’ in half in no time and really get at the engine. A small nimble little bomb truck she was. I was only lucky enough to get a ride in the back seat of a “T” once while at VA-44 as an AO. (For you youngsters we were the east coast RAG.) The IP didn’t spare anything either, I got punished big time. I didn’t puke until after we landed though. Later I found a six pack of beer in my MG which was in the hangar parking lot. I’m not sure, but I guess “The Beer Fairy” left it for me. And that night, my money was no good at the club. The bartender told me a nice young officer said he’d be by the next day to pay my tab. Fond memories of a great little plane and Cecil Field... Yes indeed. :)

Steve

P.S. Sigh… What fun!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
While there's been some greats .... the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk ... in all it's models and mods ... Heineman's Hot-Rod .... was and is the greatest turbojet aircraft ever conceived, built and flown in the jet age.

Period. Bar none ...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
While there's been some greats .... the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk ... in all it's models and mods ... Heineman's Hot-Rod .... was and is the greatest turbojet aircraft ever conceived, built and flown in the jet age.

Period. Bar none ...

Alright...so I have to ask. Why did we shelve it? This isn't meant to insinuate that I disagree with you...quite unfortunately and through a choice not my own I have no dog in this hunt...it just seems to me that if it was as great a flyer's airplane as everyone seems to agree...it couldn't be just age...for @#$% sake...the B-52 is still flying.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Alright...so I have to ask. Why did we shelve it? ......the B-52 is still flying.
Alright ... you sassy little thing .... there's not too much that can pick up and run with the BUFF's mission or capabilities .... they're never gonna build another B-52 look-alike/do-alike, I suspect ....

But there ARE other airframes that can do the A-4's mission, bigger, faster, sometimes stronger ..... and .... or course, those airframes cost lots more .... :) ..... lots and lots more $$$$$ ..... and that's what it's all about when you come right down to it.

But you will be hard pressed to find many drivers who would put another "jet" in front of their former A-4 mount when it's that time of day, you've had one too many to drink, the sun is setting over the western sky (and its gotta' be the Pacific ;)), and a bunch of guys are getting quiet(er) and reminiscing about their favorite airplanes, their buddies, and their fondest memories.

Sound corny?? It won't when you are there .... someday. :)

MasterBates

Much of what A-4s has to say for the Scooter, holds true for the Kaman SeaSprite (H-2) in the HSL world. Not the biggest, or fastest, but just agreed to be a tits machine by those who flew them.

sh-2f-dvic325.jpg

Flying with doors in summer is for homos. And those that are forced to by an inferior aircraft design.

I wanted Seasprites when I went to the HTs. Nevermind that they had just been retired.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Much of what A-4s has to say for the Scooter, holds true for the Kaman SeaSprite (H-2) in the HSL world. Not the biggest, or fastest, but just agreed to be a tits machine by those who flew them.

sh-2f-dvic325.jpg

Flying with doors in summer is for homos. And those that are forced to by an inferior aircraft design.

I wanted Seasprites when I went to the HTs. Nevermind that they had just been retired.

I work with a civilian and former H-2 driver. He loved that thing and has nothing but good things to say about it. Then again, he's easily pleased.

MasterBates

The SH-2G "SuperSeasprite" had all the power of the 60B (same motors) with about 7K less weight. My old skipper flew them, and was dragged kicking and screaming into 60's.

The AW1 on my 1st det was an ex H-2 crewman. He also loved the shit out of it.

A Seasprite at Max Gross weighed less than a 60B trucked out and with no gas.

Any COD guys like the C-1 over the C-2? Just curious.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...But there ARE other airframes that can do the A-4's mission, bigger, faster, sometimes stronger ..... )
Although I may have flown some more capable aircraft, I never flew any that ever exceeded the venerable and magical A-4 in pure flying enjoyment. ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The SH-2G "SuperSeasprite" had all the power of the 60B (same motors) with about 7K less weight. My old skipper flew them, and was dragged kicking and screaming into 60's.

The AW1 on my 1st det was an ex H-2 crewman. He also loved the shit out of it.

A Seasprite at Max Gross weighed less than a 60B trucked out and with no gas.

Any COD guys like the C-1 over the C-2? Just curious.

That's what my coworker loved about the H2, all that power in a small airframe. At least as far as the C-2 is concerned, IMO, it was pig of an airplane that was never fun to fly. Living on the beach, drinking, partying, etc is what made it bearable. Planes like the A-4 are what they are for a reason.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I was one of the last lucky few to train with A-4s and I am soooooo glad that I had the chance. The Israelis still have a quite a few of these, I think and they get lots of mileage from them.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not done yet..

Underdog said:
I've got about an equal amount of time in the A-4 and the F-14 and given a choice, I'd take the A-4 over the F-14.

Still alive and well with ATSI in the states and off an aircraft carrier in Brazil..........

ship.jpg

ATSIweb06.jpg

Note: the that were recently retired to chagrin of many were very sweet