• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Alright ... you sassy little thing .... there's not too much that can pick up and run with the BUFF's mission or capabilities .... they're never gonna build another B-52 look-alike/do-alike, I suspect ....

But there ARE other airframes that can do the A-4's mission, bigger, faster, sometimes stronger ..... and .... or course, those airframes cost lots more .... :) ..... lots and lots more $$$$$ ..... and that's what it's all about when you come right down to it.

But you will be hard pressed to find many drivers who would put another "jet" in front of their former A-4 mount when it's that time of day, you've had one too many to drink, the sun is setting over the western sky (and its gotta' be the Pacific ;)), and a bunch of guys are getting quiet(er) and reminiscing about their favorite airplanes, their buddies, and their fondest memories.

Sound corny?? It won't when you are there .... someday. :)

Right on the money. Prior to flying it, we always heard, as students, that you "wore the A-4." It was so true, even the TA-4J. Unfortunately, words can't describe what it was like to strap in and wear a jet. The single seater was an even tighter fitting glove. I guess the best description is to say it became an extension of yourself. Those who flew it understand it.

Of the jets I have time in (T-2, A-6, EA-6B, F-16, A4E, TA-4J, F-4J), I brag the most about my 1700 hours in the Scooter.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I brag the most about flying the cessna 152... Man that thing fits like a glove. Its just you and the IP, forget luggage it ain't happenin'... she was perfect for flying "the snake"...;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ouch!!! Ever hear of the Attack Wing Bullseye contest? I think you just won.

Roger that. But I think A4 something-or-other was already taken ...

Here, Raptor ... add this to your collection:

dsc00699smallbullhn6.jpg

...And .... all you ECMO's and ECMO's to be: EAT YOUR LITTLE WANNA-BE BOMBARDIER/NAVIGATOR HEARTS OUT ... !!!!:D

*edit* .... and EA-6B pilots, also.
:D

Or ... possibly I exaggerate ???? :)

FastMover

NFO
None
Good stuff there.

Those camoflauge A-4s are interesting. That paint scheme looks really good on them. However, I read somewhere that the LSOs had problems seeing them at dusk/night so they repainted them gray.

That book by Peter Mersky in the last slide is very good. A must have if you're an A-4 fan.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Nice find, that one shot showing the SAM damage was pretty impressive.

jride200

Great photos. I could never tire of looking at photos like these.

Does anyone know a good source of similiar, vintage NA photographs available for purchase? As an aspiring Naval Aviator, I'd like to have a a small handful of B&W Vietnam-era and WWII-era prints framed for inspiration. These, to make me think about those before me, and to look at after poor flights in primary, etc.

JR

Nice find, that one shot showing the SAM damage was pretty impressive.

I have one I took of a SAM that passed through the wing of an A7-A belonging to VA-105, if memory serves me right the Corsair driver was non other than Ltjg Jim Lloyd. The hole was about 3 foot in diameter and the top of the wing looked like a jagged opened can. I'll try and dig it up and have my geek son scan and post it, Lloyd literally kissed the flight deck once down. This guy was either jinxed or the luckiest bastard that couldn't die.
Read the story of the enlisted pukes that rescued him when he was shot down. HS-7 did the recovery, these guys were true "Air Warriors", Lloyd will attest to that!

http://www.hc7seadevils.org/CAW ARTICLE.pdf

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Float coats? We don't need no stinkin float coats. Or shirts. Anyone heard if the beard is gonna make a come back?