• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2010 Boards

rdjarvis

Me too, I didnt have the best ASTB

7 years, Active/Navy, MA2
Colorado Technical University BSBA 3.76
SNA/NFO Selected for both
49, 5,6,7
5 LORs, SpecWar, San Diego Flight Training International, College..etc
6 interviews, 2 CAPT (pilot and Specwar), 2 CDR pilots (10s) 2 LCDR pilots (10)
Command fitness Leader(CFL) Outstanding High on EVERY PRT for 7 years
EP, EP, EP
normal collaterals...
Private Pilots License ( single engine land ) 120 hours, I earned it in two months!! It was some kind of record :)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Non-select, again.

Trying to regroup and decide how to proceed.

Sorry to hear that man. I know you've been trying as hard, if not harder, than anyone for the commission. I have no idea what they're looking for, but you seemed solid to me. Best of luck to you Seafort.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Sadly, no 368 yet. Being in a reserve command, the paperwork just doesn't move very fast. It's been sitting at the CG's desk for almost a month now. I harass our staff at least once a week. I think I'll give it two more before I ask to speak with their staff directly. I sincerely hope I don't have to pull an 'open door policy' move, that'd make me a serious dick.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I'm talking to different people in and out of CNRC as well as my own OR of course. Trying to come up with a consensus of where my package can be improved. I'm pleased to know that my recommending officers are, frankly, shocked by this. Right now the plan definitely includes retaking the ASTB, but may include going back to undergrad to push up my GPA, seeking LORs from congress people I worked with in the past, or possibly even enlisting.

The biggest concern is my age, and my OR seems to think that's the issue. Not everyone agrees, with one officer saying if age is the issue, that given my determination and motivation, such a decision would be "stupid and shortsighted."

At this point, not planning to give up, although I may shift fire and look towards changing my designators. NFO may become my first choice given the higher age barrier, and I've also looked into seriously applying to grad school with my GRE verbal scores being so high, and applying for JAG.

I believe what I've been told; that perseverance and the whole person concept do exist. As long as the process does not make me question that, I won't give up.

While I heard some of you emailed Lt. Kovalsky over at the nyus site, I was hesitant to because I figured he would get swarmed with people doing it and I didn't want to irritate him. I can just imagine how a hundred emails from people he isn't even working with could flood his inbox and keep him from taking care of his people.

Well, I was wrong. I have been avidly checking his site because I have been unable to get my results from my recruiter and wouldn't be able to until late next week. I was hoping he could sneak the results in some way. Instead, he not only didn't mind the emails from people outside his district, he ENCOURAGED it! If only every recruiter could be like this guy... Anyway, as soon as I read that, I shot him an email and hope to hear back soon.

He seems like such a no-nonsense fellow who bucks the rules. Hope he doesn't get in any trouble for filling the void that many of us find ourselves in with our own recruiters. Love that he says at the end of his post that he will "cut through the bullshit".

SpaceApe29

EAS, good luck man. I would suggest going up the NCO chain like I did all the way up to the CSM of your command, who has the ear of the CG. The regulations state a Battalion Commander is the signing authority I think you're running into the same "we don't know what this form even is" thing I had at my last post. Though you're going to another service you're still an NCO and I think it's the same as the active side - we take care of our own. My CSM was in Somalia during the "Blackhawk down" incident (He's even mentioned in the film) and he was really cool about it. Again, good luck and I'll buy you a beer (or 10) if I see you around the fleet.

Seafort, we've got soldiers that were listed as Deceased that got revived in my unit trying to go back too. When we talk about heroes, those men are the top of my list. God Bless America and the American fighting spirit!

SpaceApe29

Whatever anyone does concerning personal agendas has nothing on those men. When I get pissed off at something, I just think of dudes like Doc B who were shot in the liver while rescuing another soldier, officially died, then got revived in the Chinhook on the way to the medical tent and suddenly things aren't nearly as bad as they seem. That's why it's going to be painful if I have to choose OCS vs. Deploying like I might have to soon, I want to keep my men safe but becoming a Naval Officer is where I long to be. Keep plugging away at the packet and one day you might be in a position to keep your fellow sailors safe. This whole commissioning process and military service in general is about protecting America and Americans and not shiny chest candy or bragging rights.

Good luck and keep applying until they accept you or kick you in the rear!

bluemarlin04

I'm talking to different people in and out of CNRC as well as my own OR of course. Trying to come up with a consensus of where my package can be improved. I'm pleased to know that my recommending officers are, frankly, shocked by this. Right now the plan definitely includes retaking the ASTB, but may include going back to undergrad to push up my GPA, seeking LORs from congress people I worked with in the past, or possibly even enlisting.

The biggest concern is my age, and my OR seems to think that's the issue. Not everyone agrees, with one officer saying if age is the issue, that given my determination and motivation, such a decision would be "stupid and shortsighted."

At this point, not planning to give up, although I may shift fire and look towards changing my designators. NFO may become my first choice given the higher age barrier, and I've also looked into seriously applying to grad school with my GRE verbal scores being so high, and applying for JAG.

I believe what I've been told; that perseverance and the whole person concept do exist. As long as the process does not make me question that, I won't give up.
I mean this with no disrespect and really hope you get in but I think your drop from NROTC is what is hurting you the most. Don't go enlisted if that isn't what you want, it will make getting an OCS package and slot way way harder.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Seafort, your determination is something that isn't seen as much as it should be these days. I will be honored to serve in the same Navy as you when you get in, and I have no doubt that with your perseverence you WILL get in. Hoo Yah and keep at it!