• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2010 Boards

cameron172

pilot
Congratulations! Thanks for adding in your package, it gives me something to judge myself off of. No lost hope. Do you know when you report to OCS?

CountryBoy8184

Former NFO-select, now SNA
Daniel, I know how you feel. My odds were pretty insurmountable as well. But people with packages like ours are good examples of how the Navy truly does look at the whole person.

Countryboy, I'm a little amazed at this board and selects we have seen. There is a huge range of personnel being chosen if you ask me. I would say that I fall into the good ASTB scores and an average packet otherwise (degree, GPA, etc). Most of the others I have seen seemed to be somewhat the opposite, though there were plenty of guys who nailed both sections.

What really concerned me was that everyone I saw getting a pro-rec from this board seemed to have the flight time and/or prior service.

I guess what I would take from this is that there really is no telling what is going to be successful. Obviously, high scores will get you a long way, but with the number of guys who were bringing a 5/5/5 50 to the table and got a select, I think worrying about your chances is going to be a moot situation. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to say "don't think or worry about it" after I have my pro-rec.

Also, probably had absolutely no bearing but my recruiter told me I was the only select from his candidates. I don't know if that meant the whole of San Fran NRD or what, but yeah. I wonder if it's like college and they like to have a representative of every NRD or something. Like how a college likes to say "we have students from all 50 states and 36 countries".

As for OCS, I am going to assume about 6 months from pro-rec date. I have MEPS cleared. Major hurdle now is getting the PFT done which is causing some confusion because I live in Alaska. There apparently aren't any Naval recruiters here and I might have to actually perform this in front of one, requiring me to fly to Seattle at least... Lame.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
Countryboy, I'm a little amazed at this board and selects we have seen. There is a huge range of personnel being chosen if you ask me. I would say that I fall into the good ASTB scores and an average packet otherwise (degree, GPA, etc). Most of the others I have seen seemed to be somewhat the opposite, though there were plenty of guys who nailed both sections.

What really concerned me was that everyone I saw getting a pro-rec from this board seemed to have the flight time and/or prior service.

I guess what I would take from this is that there really is no telling what is going to be successful. Obviously, high scores will get you a long way, but with the number of guys who were bringing a 5/5/5 50 to the table and got a select, I think worrying about your chances is going to be a moot situation. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to say "don't think or worry about it" after I have my pro-rec.

Also, probably had absolutely no bearing but my recruiter told me I was the only select from his candidates. I don't know if that meant the whole of San Fran NRD or what, but yeah. I wonder if it's like college and they like to have a representative of every NRD or something. Like how a college likes to say "we have students from all 50 states and 36 countries".

As for OCS, I am going to assume about 6 months from pro-rec date. I have MEPS cleared. Major hurdle now is getting the PFT done which is causing some confusion because I live in Alaska. There apparently aren't any Naval recruiters here and I might have to actually perform this in front of one, requiring me to fly to Seattle at least... Lame.

Well said Daniel, we certainly seemed to have some variety in this board. Kind of motivating if you ask me. I personally liked seeing all the different packages get pro-rec'ed. Now lets all work on those FS letters and really start making things happen!!

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Good luck, all! I was pro-rec'd end of march and class up Sunday! Six months sounds about right, but your mileage may vary.

sdgigles

Weirdest thing happend to me. Apparently my package wasn't reviewed, and is not in the system, although my name was definitely on the at-board list. Any one have any thoughts?

GoVols1998

sdgigles, I had the same situation happen because I had to send a waiver request for an arrest a few years ago. Maybe your recruiter had to send in a waiver for something, or inadvertently left one of the many forms off your packet? I saw my recruiter 5 times this summer, and signed and filled out a few different forms every time. And you should have filled out the new 4 page form for application. If you didn't switch from the older, longer one, that could have held it up. Just throwing out anything I can think of. Good luck.

I just spoke to my recruiter about taking the PRT and he told me that all PRTs are on hold for the time being. Apparently, someone died somewhere taking it. I don't understand what they plan to accomplish by suspending all tests though. It was obviously an isolated incident and it's not as if they can allow people to join without knowing if they are physically capable...

Anyone heard the same or different? Want to get this done so I can get that final select.

CountryBoy8184

Former NFO-select, now SNA
I haven't heard anything about it personally, but if that's the case, then all of us pro-recs could be waiting in Final Select Purgatory till they decide to reinstate the PRT. Maybe they are taking this time to re-review the standards for passing. Although I have never heard anything about someone actually dying as a result of this test.

bwh06b

FS SNA
The LT who was supposed to be my company officer during Plebe Summer at the Naval Academy died right after taking the PRT. Evidently he took the test, sat down on a bench, and something happened with his heart and he passed away. I agree, this was obviously an isolated incident, and I don't see the point in suspending all PRTs if this is in fact the case.

E

ebolamonkey

I heard this on usnavyocs.com as well. From what I understand there are two PRTs. One to get the FS and one before shipping off to OCS. Are both of them suspended at this time or is it just the ship-off PRT? Thanks in advance.