• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I'm not sure if you guys saw this post (Yesterday at 6:32 AM) about the IDC DCO board, but it seems like there is some good info about how they made their selections. I can't see how this could be too much different from the active duty selections aside from the degree requirements. Check it out.

Awesome! I really hope it's a similar ratio as well.

fedman28

I'm not sure if you guys saw this post (Yesterday at 6:32 AM) about the IDC DCO board, but it seems like there is some good info about how they made their selections. I can't see how this could be too much different from the active duty selections aside from the degree requirements. Check it out.

That is some pretty good info, after reading it I feel as if my chances of getting selected for any IDC designator just went way down.

exNavyOffRec

Having had people selected for IDC active and reviewed application on those selected for DCO it is quite different.

AD looks for good base to build on such as good degree/GPA, community involvement, LOR's that talk about good work ethic and such.

DCO looks for track record (10 years) of industry experience and significant management/supervisor experience.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Having had people selected for IDC active and reviewed application on those selected for DCO it is quite different.

AD looks for good base to build on such as good degree/GPA, community involvement, LOR's that talk about good work ethic and such.

DCO looks for track record (10 years) of industry experience and significant management/supervisor experience.

Prior to taking on his new job, someone at my command asked Admiral Rogers about the selection rate for enlisted-to-commissioning programs on the IW side. His response was kind of surprising:

Admiral Rogers said that he had hoped to see more prior-enlisted officers go the distance, i.e. 30 years of service en route to a command position, but has seen many reach 20 and retire as O-3's and O-4's. For this reason, he said believed that boards might be more apt to select folks from the civilian sector; even if they only did 20, they would provide a full 20, whereas someone with 10 years enlisted would be halfway there.

I'm paraphrasing, and probably missing some other important points, but this convinced me to repeatedly state my intent to pursue leadership (and eventually command) positions, as well as extended service.

I have no idea whether or not this has been reflected in past selection results, but I believe this falls inline with the "base to build on" that you've mentioned above. It should also give those in the civilian sector a little more hope.

Rickblaine22

Is there any history like this for our board? Stats? Take-aways?

PensacolaBayou

The only way to really gauge what they were looking for is by comparing the stats of the applicants here on AW.

...which appear to be the most random of all designators. They have accepted priors and civilians, all age ranges, low and high ASTB/OAR scores, STEM and non-STEM degrees, and people with years of experience and some fresh off the education boat. We can share our stats all day, but unless we also provide our LOR details (which most of us have not seen), our motivational statements, and the needs and requirements of the board, we are in the dark.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I don't know if Naval Intelligence mirrors the hiring protocol of other intelligence agencies but from what I've read about other intelligence organization's hiring practices, they not only look for all the right accolades, they look for certain personality characteristics. But now I'm really starting to muddy the waters . . .

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I don't know if Naval Intelligence mirrors the hiring protocol of other intelligence agencies but from what I've read about other intelligence organization's hiring practices, they not only look for all the right accolades, they look for certain personality characteristics. But now I'm really starting to muddy the waters . . .

I feel like that'd be impossible to accurately evaluate without an interview. Board members probably use the officer appraisals, LORs, and the candidate's writing style to gauge if he/she best exhibits those characteristics.

psulaw0929

I feel like that'd be impossible to accurately evaluate without an interview. Board members probably use the officer appraisals, LORs, and the candidate's writing style to gauge if he/she best exhibits those characteristics.

I agree that they couldn't evaluate it with a single interview, especially since those of us who aren't currently active duty don't have to do interviews. But I think they could begin to get a sense of it from the LORs, motivational statement, etc.

psulaw0929

I agree that they couldn't evaluate it with a single interview, especially since those of us who aren't currently active duty don't have to do interviews. But I think they could begin to get a sense of it from the LORs, motivational statement, etc.

I completely misread and misquoted what you said. Sorry about that.

psulaw0929

I noticed that OAR/ASTB scores weren't mentioned in that post at all. I also noticed their obsession with STEM degrees. That's good news for a lot of you out there. I just have to hope that they see STEM aptitude in my Nuke background.

exNavyOffRec

Is there any history like this for our board? Stats? Take-aways?

Yes, if you were to put each traits in a circle that they look for then have them all interconnect for the perfect candidate it would have tech degree, high GPA, prior service or AD, graduate degree, and to a lesser extent community activities.

There will always be those that hit a few of the items, say prior service and high GPA but with non tech degree.

as an example mine that were picked up all had tech degrees, high GPA, and community involvement.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
As an example mine that were picked up all had tech degrees, high GPA, and community involvement.

Question WRT GPA: My cumulative GPA is a 3.54, but the GPA I recently graduated my tech school with was a 3.98. Will the board only see one or both of these, and, since my early college days 8 years ago, will my more recent achievements outshine my teenage mistakes?