• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Unless the PA has changed, you can apply for SWO and Subs with calc I & II, Calc based physics I & II as long as you had a B or better and cumulative gpa over a 3.0

I didn't take any math or science courses in college because my university waved them based on all the math and science credits I had on my SMART transcript. So I never took calculus or physics courses. Unfortunately, I'm too old for SWO, submarines, or nuke anyway.

plastycx

Never Giving Up
To add to the nuke officer discussion. I currently teach nuke officers who have non technical degrees like english lit, but as long as you have calc 1 and 2 and physics 1 and 2 you are good.

chihon fung

I'm not sure if you guys saw this post (Yesterday at 6:32 AM) about the IDC DCO board, but it seems like there is some good info about how they made their selections. I can't see how this could be too much different from the active duty selections aside from the degree requirements. Check it out.

Thank you.
This post was actually some good stuff, been looking for something like this... and with that being said I am pretty sure I will be joining the December Board because I have yet to redo my interview sheets. :p

Less than outstanding... but outstanding is the highest XD

Last edited:

HM1

Seems like every day this week i sign into my Command view there is a new board result. Based on the current schedule, we should be up next. As of 1900 CEST, nothing.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Seems like every day this week i sign into my Command view there is a new board result. Based on the current schedule, we should be up next. As of 1900 CEST, nothing.

Good to know. I check BOL often. Each time it loads with a delay I get hopeful.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
I didn't take any math or science courses in college because my university waved them based on all the math and science credits I had on my SMART transcript. So I never took calculus or physics courses. Unfortunately, I'm too old for SWO, submarines, or nuke anyway.
If you are a tech major then all applied science and math scores are screened. Multiple withdrawals and tech grades less than a B will often be given a "do not apply" from D.C. screeners.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
I completely understand, and I didn't mind doing the leg work on my application. After all, it's my application, plus I probably would have done the research anyway. I'm a "trust but verify" kind of guy. Really my only concerns are whether they have been receiving the stuff I've been sending them, if my package is complete, and whether it has been submitted or not. Also, it would have been nice to have some feedback on things like my motivational statement. I know that IDC applicants aren't in high demand and I completely understand them concentrating on filling the needs of the Navy.
There's a thread here on motivational statements. I suggest reading up on it there.

Marko88m5

Any update on the likelihood of results release? I saw other threads dated a couple days ago of people saying they were Pro Rec Y. I am thinking the dating is off on those posts.

psulaw0929

There's a thread here on motivational statements. I suggest reading up on it there.

I read a lot of the posts re: motivational statements on this site and other sites but I just mean, I would have liked to have had someone who has actual experience with officer packages (e.g., my OR) look at my personal motivational statement to see if he had any suggestions, critiques, etc. I feel pretty good about it but I also read a lot of motivational statements that people posted on this site which I thought we absolutely horrible and yet they still got Pro Recs (of course, they were all aviation candidates).

Marko88m5

I read a lot of the posts re: motivational statements on this site and other sites but I just mean, I would have liked to have had someone who has actual experience with officer packages (e.g., my OR) look at my personal motivational statement to see if he had any suggestions, critiques, etc. I feel pretty good about it but I also read a lot of motivational statements that people posted on this site which I thought we absolutely horrible and yet they still got Pro Recs (of course, they were all aviation candidates).

Based on your education level, I take it that you are capable of writing a well flowing/grammatically correct essay. I would say to you that there are good ORs and bad ones who cannot write to save their lives. Many of them may even "correct" your statement themselves but just remember that it is yours and you should have the final say in the final copy. My OR seem to be an exception. He told me to remember that it is a motivational statement and not so much a brag statement of your professional resume. That is what your resume would accomplish as you would be submitting one. Talk about important lessons you have learned/challenges you have overcome (from prior mistakes/job related struggles). Off course you would talk about how important becoming a Naval Officer is to you and what you would be able to offer what others may not. In addressing the above, you can creatively work in prior job titles/descriptions but don't simply talk about what you did professionally. Intel may be writing intensive which is why greater emphasis would be place on the motivational statement than other communities. It is essentially a writing sample.
Also... this was corroborated by the handful of Intel officers with whom I worked.

Last edited:

psulaw0929

Based on your education level, I take it that you are capable of writing a well flowing/grammatically correct essay. I would say to you that there are good ORs and bad ones who cannot write to save their lives. Many of them may even "correct" your statement themselves but just remember that it is yours and you should have the final say in the final copy. My OR seem to be an exception. He told me to remember that it is a motivational statement and not so much a brag statement of your professional resume. That is what your resume would accomplish as you would be submitting one. Talk about important lessons you have learned/challenges you have overcome (from prior mistakes/job related struggles). Off course you would talk about how important becoming a Naval Officer is to you and what you would be able to offer what others may not. In addressing the above, you can creatively work in prior job titles/descriptions but don't simply talk about what you did professionally. Intel may be writing intensive which is why greater emphasis would be place on the motivational statement than other communities. It is essentially a writing sample.

That makes sense. Thank you. My OR said I wasn't allowed to submit a resume and that I had to mention my jobs, accomplishments, etc. in my motivational statement. Then I read comments similar to yours where people said not to turn the motivational statement into a resume recitation. I think I concluded with a good balance but it wasn't easy. I'm really surprised that there isn't another space, box, form, or whatever to list awards, community service/volunteer work, professional experience, etc.. It seems like that would be beneficial information for the board to consider. I know a lot of those things inevitably make their way into various components of the package but every (non-military) job I have ever applied to has required a resume.