• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
Should I be concerned that my OR has not responded to any of my emails this week?
No. As previously mentioned, IDC is not an NRC priority. Your OR might be on leave, TAD or just plain busy. I'd give it a week more then call. We're not pushing any deadlines for this board so be patient.

spazzz

Thank you for the response. That was my initial thought as well.
So let me bounce this question off of everybody. I applied INTEL only this time. If I do not get selected anybody have suggestions for maybe a different designator for the next board based on my stats and age?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It's the end of the FY and most ORs are busy closing out end of year admin/items. Also there's due dates approaching for Pilot/NFO, SWO, and Supply boards.

RescueSwimmer19USN

Active Duty Navy SAR Crewman
...but I also read a lot of motivational statements that people posted on this site which I thought we absolutely horrible and yet they still got Pro Recs (of course, they were all aviation candidates).

Taking potshots at another community from the sidelines, that's just the kind of Officer we're looking for. Pause not.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Taking potshots at another community from the sidelines, that's just the kind of Officer we're looking for. Pause not.

That's not what I meant at all. I didn't mean that aviation candidates are notoriously bad writers, that doesn't even make sense. The point was that I was looking for sample motivational statements to reference. Most of the ones I found on this aviation-heavy website (i.e., airwarriors) were written by aviation candidates. Some of them were poorly written or did not follow the comments I've read provided by ORs on this website. Then I mentioned that they received Pro-Recs despite these motivational statements, establishing an irony. When I stated "they were all aviation candidates," the point was that motivational statements don't seem to be as important of a component of the aviators' packages compared to the weight I've read that they carry with IDC packages. The correlation being that, despite people writing what I would consider a poor motivational statement and receiving pro-recs, I don't need to completely go against everything I've read and have been told about writing a motivational statement to make it more reflective of the poor ones I've read because their receiving a pro-rec with that motivational statement isn't indicative of anything.

But speaking of "taking potshots from the sidelines," way to come out of nowhere @RescueSwimmer19USN to make a dig at my comment without really understanding it and just making the most negative possible interpretation you could. I appreciate you finally deciding to comment on our thread and contributing absolutely nothing. "Pause not."

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
That's not what I meant at all. I didn't mean that aviation candidates are notoriously bad writers, that doesn't even make sense. The point was that I was looking for sample motivational statements to reference. Most of the ones I found on this aviation-heavy website (i.e., airwarriors) were written by aviation candidates. Some of them were poorly written or did not follow the comments I've read provided by ORs on this website. Then I mentioned that they received Pro-Recs despite these motivational statements, establishing an irony. When I stated "they were all aviation candidates," the point was that motivational statements don't seem to be as important of a component of the aviators' packages compared to the weight I've read that they carry with IDC packages. The correlation being that, despite people writing what I would consider a poor motivational statement and receiving pro-recs, I don't need to completely go against everything I've read and have been told about writing a motivational statement to make it more reflective of the poor ones I've read because their receiving a pro-rec with that motivational statement isn't indicative of anything.

But speaking of "taking potshots from the sidelines," way to come out of nowhere @RescueSwimmer19USN to make a dig at my comment without really understanding it and just making the most negative possible interpretation you could. I appreciate you finally deciding to comment on our thread and contributing absolutely nothing. "Pause not."
What you have observed in the threads of other designator is the product of a whole person concept and at the end of the day the Navy still has accession goals to make. We select the best qualified out of each board for the number of open quotas. Aviation is wide open generally speaking because it has such a high washout rate. Ironically enough, those that washout from these programs are already commissioned and so are offered the chance to go home and serve out their contract as IRR, or redesignate to an open field for which they qualify. What this means for us is that the Navy doesn't always need selection boards to fill IDC quotas.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
What you have observed in the threads of other designator is the product of a whole person concept and at the end of the day the Navy still has accession goals to make. We select the best qualified out of each board for the number of open quotas. Aviation is wide open generally speaking because it has such a high washout rate. Ironically enough, those that washout from these programs are already commissioned and so are offered the chance to go home and serve out their contract as IRR, or redesignate to an open field for which they qualify. What this means for us is that the Navy doesn't always need selection boards to fill IDC quotas.

That makes sense. I know there is a need for aviators. I only meant that I've heard the board looks more at things like ASTB scores for aviators. I'm glad that despite a lot of in-house hiring for IDC (which is what I'm assuming you meant when you said the Navy doesn't always need boards to fill IDC) that there are boards to fill what few spots are available, giving us a chance.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
That makes sense. I know there is a need for aviators. I only meant that I've heard the board looks more at things like ASTB scores for aviators. I'm glad that despite a lot of in-house hiring for IDC (which is what I'm assuming you meant when you said the Navy doesn't always need boards to fill IDC) that there are boards to fill what few spots are available, giving us a chance.
Exactly

exNavyOffRec

I can tell you as a former OR he is right, I used to joke about this with applicants going for other designators that they had to have a top notch motivational statement and they couldn't rely on the ASTB like the aviation guys, I can't tell you how many aviation applications I have seen get selected with very marginal motivational statements, hell I have had guys picked up with one paragraph motivational statements, but they all had great ASTB scores, and some of this was with a 25% selection rate!

It is the ASTB that is king with aviation, not so with other designators.

PensacolaBayou

I have a question for fleet folks, when the results are released will only you and your OR know your Pro-Rec decision? I am wondering if non-fleet applicants are able to check and see some master list made available to the fleet but only trickles down to us civilians a week later. Does the fleet notification system list all Pro-Rec decisions or just the individual account and their recruiter?

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
I have a question for fleet folks, when the results are released will only you and your OR know your Pro-Rec decision? I am wondering if non-fleet applicants are able to check and see some master list made available to the fleet but only trickles down to us civilians a week later. Does the fleet notification system list all Pro-Rec decisions or just the individual account and their recruiter?
First off, for us fleet guys, we do not have a recruiter or anyone really advocating for us. Could be it's just a Seabee thing though where we aren't given any real help. I'd love to hear otherwise. I get the impression if you're smart enough to figure out the application process then you can apply. If not, nobody is there to make sure you've hit all the wickets. Fleet processors are awesome but very busy so that's as good as it gets. By the way, from an OR and fleet applicant perspective, civilian applications are 10 x's easier than a fleet applicant. Be appreciative. I'm sorry I digress...

We do have career counselors who have the same access to the results via Bupers Online but the results are only for those selected from our specific commands. NRC should release results to each NRD at the same time where it will include ALL selects and will list the NRD that submitted the application. The only difference is us fleet guys check every 10 minutes where your recruiter might not check for a couple days after results are posted. Hope that helps.

Last edited: